British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   correct airbrake video for Alberta???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/correct-airbrake-video-alberta-837004/)

Slippy Jun 20th 2014 11:15 am

correct airbrake video for Alberta????

Hi there folks, sorry not been on here for a while but i'm revising for my tests next week!!!! Yip the time has flown in, i'm heading over this Thursday to start my training in Lethbridge for my new job with H&R :eek: i've been watching loads of videos on you tube about this airbrake test and its slowly but surely sinking in lol BUT there are soooooo many videos and almost everyone is different (WTF) does anyone out there know the best one for me to watch??? Some dont chock the wheels others do, some do the incab inspections in the middle of the airbrake test others dont, some put the seat belt on immediately some dont aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh sounds like the sunscreen song hahahah any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, if the hair on my head wasnt shaved i'd have pulled it all out by now!!!!!:banghead:

grant r Jun 20th 2014 3:11 pm

Re: correct airbrake video for Alberta????

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11309470)
Hi there folks, sorry not been on here for a while but i'm revising for my tests next week!!!! Yip the time has flown in, i'm heading over this Thursday to start my training in Lethbridge for my new job with H&R :eek: i've been watching loads of videos on you tube about this airbrake test and its slowly but surely sinking in lol BUT there are soooooo many videos and almost everyone is different (WTF) does anyone out there know the best one for me to watch??? Some dont chock the wheels others do, some do the incab inspections in the middle of the airbrake test others dont, some put the seat belt on immediately some dont aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh sounds like the sunscreen song hahahah any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, if the hair on my head wasnt shaved i'd have pulled it all out by now!!!!!:banghead:

hi slippy, I cant help you with the videos :lol: but I was interested to know why you chose hit and run considering the not so nice comments that have been put on here. a friend of a friend has just gone over with them and has just done a mentor round trip from lethbridge to California and seems very happy with them. Im getting the impression they are good if you want to get the miles in and are single, what's your opinion?

flat to the mat Jun 20th 2014 3:43 pm

Your instructor will show you the correct way , the way the examiners want to see it done . Don't worry over it .

Slippy Jun 20th 2014 5:47 pm

Hey Grant, never been one to listen to others, would rather witness it for myself buddy, I've heard equally good and bad things about H&R but hey they've taken me on and paid my flights so I'll go and give it a bash, find out for myself. I've heard there are a lot worse out there and the good thing about working out of MB after 6 months if the company aren't very good to work for you just move onto another company with LMO's but in Alberta ya canny do that. I'm not one for giving up though, they have given me a chance so I'll stay loyal unless it's horrendously bad then you gotta do what gotta do!!! There trucks are pretty new the people in human resources are brilliant so I think I'll get on just dandy. Ya canny afford to be picky bud just take what comes up yer other option is to fly over for a few weeks (recce) and go a hunting but I've looked into that and it requires ALOT of planning mate and expense. So grab what ya can duuude.

Slippy Jun 20th 2014 5:51 pm

Cheers flat to the mat, was just trying to jam as much in as possible cos a couple of guys I know have just been through it one of which failed it!!! So I'm getting a bit sweaty over it lol:(

grant r Jun 20th 2014 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11309917)
Hey Grant, never been one to listen to others, would rather witness it for myself buddy, I've heard equally good and bad things about H&R but hey they've taken me on and paid my flights so I'll go and give it a bash, find out for myself. I've heard there are a lot worse out there and the good thing about working out of MB after 6 months if the company aren't very good to work for you just move onto another company with LMO's but in Alberta ya canny do that. I'm not one for giving up though, they have given me a chance so I'll stay loyal unless it's horrendously bad then you gotta do what gotta do!!! There trucks are pretty new the people in human resources are brilliant so I think I'll get on just dandy. Ya canny afford to be picky bud just take what comes up yer other option is to fly over for a few weeks (recce) and go a hunting but I've looked into that and it requires ALOT of planning mate and expense. So grab what ya can duuude.

yer I make you right about the listening to others, im not a sheep im a free man :lol: haven't they by law gotta pay for your flights and accommodation anyway? I fancy mb myself aswell because of the que in alberta at the mo to get your pr. and I think a lot of it is to do with your attitude to adapting to the Canadian way, if you go over there with the attitude im English and we do it like this your not gonna get very far lol well I hope it all goes well for you and who knows might bump into you next year.:thumbsup:

Slippy Jun 20th 2014 6:02 pm

Yeh defo mate it's there way or the plane home way lol cheers buddy I'll give it my best, I've got some useful contacts if you want to PM me at a later date? Good luck dude.

grant r Jun 20th 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11309937)
Yeh defo mate it's there way or the plane home way lol cheers buddy I'll give it my best, I've got some useful contacts if you want to PM me at a later date? Good luck dude.

Ok cool I'll keep that in mind thanks

Gremmie Jun 22nd 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11309470)

Why are you watching videos ??? I thought you've never been one to listen to others, would rather witness it for myself :confused::confused: so which is it:goodpost:

Slippy Jun 22nd 2014 11:59 pm

Whit???? Gremmie wtf are you on duuuude!!!! These videos are suppose to be educational, when I say I don't listen to others I mean I don't listen to shit talk from people like you duh!!! Who's being thick now goodbuddy???:thumbdown: I know your statement states " I speak my mind, if you don't like it don't read it" well get the f**k off my thread cos I don't want to read your sh*t!!! Ok duuuude??:angry_smile:

flat to the mat Jun 23rd 2014 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11312142)
Whit???? Gremmie wtf are you on duuuude!!!! These videos are suppose to be educational, when I say I don't listen to others I mean I don't listen to shit talk from people like you duh!!! Who's being thick now goodbuddy???:thumbdown: I know your statement states " I speak my mind, if you don't like it don't read it" well get the f**k off my thread cos I don't want to read your sh*t!!! Ok duuuude??:angry_smile:

Don't start boys !!!! Gremmie , get back to your desk and stop s##t stirring . Slippy , it's not your thread it's the internet and a public forum , forget watching videos it'll all be thoroughly explained when you get here . Word of friendly advice , you might not like how trucking works over here but just keep your head down and do your job , seen too many who think they know better than the dumb arsed Canadian way and want to change procedures , you won't and it'll end in tears . Seen it too many times :nod:.If you get stuck with the theory or air give me a pm anytime .

Slippy Jun 23rd 2014 6:34 am

Thanks flat to the mat, I intend in doing exactly what I'm told buddy, I really don't have a problem with that:thumbsup:

kb33 Jun 23rd 2014 3:55 pm

Whooo Just like the good ole days :rofl:

Smudger75 Jun 25th 2014 1:00 am

Like Kb told me three years ago nobody fails their tests!!!!

Slippy Jun 25th 2014 1:09 am

Is that rite smuggler...? It's the extra costs for if I fail that's bothering me buddy...? Only taking $6200 and $3500 of that is for my training and accommodation.:(

Smudger75 Jun 25th 2014 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11314285)
Is that rite smuggler...? It's the extra costs for if I fail that's bothering me buddy...? Only taking $6200 and $3500 of that is for my training and accommodation.:(

From what I've seen you'd have to be dead in the head to fail! I had 3x2 hour lessons and passed, piece of cake!

heydon1983 Jun 29th 2014 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Smudger75 (Post 11314920)
From what I've seen you'd have to be dead in the head to fail! I had 3x2 hour lessons and passed, piece of cake!

Best way I found to do the air brake test is to go through it with your trainer and then practise doing it in the truck in the yard on your own for a few mins a time do it in small stages little bit at a time until you can remember it. It worked for me.:thumbsup:

Gremmie Jun 30th 2014 12:34 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 11312770)
Whooo Just like the good ole days :rofl:

i know, its fun aint it.. and this Slippy is such a gullible buffoon he wont last a year here with his attitude.:goodpost: