British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Company's currently hiring with LMO's ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/companys-currently-hiring-lmos-788790/)

Richie83 Feb 26th 2013 11:34 pm

Company's currently hiring with LMO's ?

Hi all, been browsing the forums for a few days now and though I'd sign up and see if anyone can possibly offer some help or advice.

My in laws live near Calgary and have been there a good few years, back in 2010 they met a guy over there who offered to get me an LMO and drive one of his trucks, we took him up on the offer and ended up moving there in march 2010, I passed my class 1 and had a couple of days in the cab with another driver few short runs down to lethbridge and back to Calgary. After this I was on my own first trip I headed to waxahachie Texas delivering a load of insulation from there ran empty up to Tulsa for a trailer swap at whirlpool, then over the Canadian border to Bolton Ontario. Dropped a trailer there and headed back the 30+ hour drive to Calgary! Did this trip a good few times until it all slowed down, then I was running from Calgary to Port Coquitlam 2 - 3 times a week through the rockys, much more fun to drive but you need to be very alert! Most of the time I was running through the night which was even more of a challenge!

After working for this small company for a while he was not paying me the mileage i had done and he kept giving me excuses my pay cheques would always be late and apparently he ran into difficulties and my pay cheques became smaller until he couldn't pay me, im still owed a few thousand now from bonus mileage. We couldnt survive any longer out there and ended up moving back to the UK as I was made aware the work permit was strictly for his company, I didn't realise you can just collect a new permit from the border once you had secured a job.

Basically now we are looking to get back out there as aoon as possible but the problem is I only had around 6 months driving experience and most of the company's requirements are 2+ years.

Does anybody know of any company's with LMOs that will take on a driver with 6 months experience of driving in Canada and the USA? I don't have any UK experience either.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Rich

Here's a pic of one of the rigs I was driving, I hauled for slh but I was not employed by them, they were a good company to drive for at least!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...oo/image-1.jpg

Richie83 Feb 27th 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Company's currently hiring with LMO's ?

Just to clear things up I was not employed by SLH, I was driving for an owner operator that had many trucks, so basically I was employed by the owner operator but pulling slh trailers. Sub contracted to slh If you like.

No one had a bad word to say about slh, it wasn't them that messed me around it was the owner operated company who's truck unit I was driving.

grant r Feb 27th 2013 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Richie83 (Post 10572926)
Just to clear things up I was not employed by SLH, I was driving for an owner operator that had many trucks, so basically I was employed by the owner operator but pulling slh trailers. Sub contracted to slh If you like.

No one had a bad word to say about slh, it wasn't them that messed me around it was the owner operated company who's truck unit I was driving.

Might be a daft thing to say but could you not get a job with slh direct? Nice rig by the way! :thumbsup:

Srinivask Feb 27th 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Guys..

Good evening to all.. I am from india. How much total fee for LMO process? any one help me . Thanks for help.

Regards,
Srinivas.

Richie83 Feb 27th 2013 2:41 pm

I did contact slh about them providing an LMO but they did not have any available.

Srinivask Feb 27th 2013 3:05 pm

How many days will take for LMO process? How many years we will get the LMO?

Richie83 Feb 27th 2013 3:21 pm

If the company already has LMO's in hand then the process is a lot quicker, if they need to apply for an LMO this can take anywhere from 2-10 weeks. Once they have the positive LMO you need to apply for a work permit which again can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks. The cost varies I was charged around $1200 CAD for my LMO and then the work permit cost me $150 once I landed. Not sure if some employers pay for the LMO, and also the flight over.

Srinivask Feb 27th 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for your reply.

arniedog Feb 27th 2013 3:46 pm

Where do you want to go in canada richie, the firm I work for in cambridge Ontario take on drivers on lmo and I know of another firm near London on that do too. Send me a private message if you want any info

jamesmc Feb 27th 2013 7:37 pm

Have they changed the law or can you get PR as a Truckdriver in Ontario now? reason asking is why take a job in Ontario as a trucker and have to go back home after 4yrs.
You can receive PR in MB&SK as a trucker without much bother ......well only if you can pass an IELTS General exam (speak ,read,write,understand English or Fench to high school level.) even if you are a Native English speaker.
jimmy.

Richie83 Feb 27th 2013 8:08 pm

Jimmy do you know any company's in SK or MB with LMO's ?

Smudger75 Feb 27th 2013 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Richie83 (Post 10571962)
Hi all, been browsing the forums for a few days now and though I'd sign up and see if anyone can possibly offer some help or advice.

My in laws live near Calgary and have been there a good few years, back in 2010 they met a guy over there who offered to get me an LMO and drive one of his trucks, we took him up on the offer and ended up moving there in march 2010, I passed my class 1 and had a couple of days in the cab with another driver few short runs down to lethbridge and back to Calgary. After this I was on my own first trip I headed to waxahachie Texas delivering a load of insulation from there ran empty up to Tulsa for a trailer swap at whirlpool, then over the Canadian border to Bolton Ontario. Dropped a trailer there and headed back the 30+ hour drive to Calgary! Did this trip a good few times until it all slowed down, then I was running from Calgary to Port Coquitlam 2 - 3 times a week through the rockys, much more fun to drive but you need to be very alert! Most of the time I was running through the night which was even more of a challenge!

After working for this small company for a while he was not paying me the mileage i had done and he kept giving me excuses my pay cheques would always be late and apparently he ran into difficulties and my pay cheques became smaller until he couldn't pay me, im still owed a few thousand now from bonus mileage. We couldnt survive any longer out there and ended up moving back to the UK as I was made aware the work permit was strictly for his company, I didn't realise you can just collect a new permit from the border once you had secured a job.

Basically now we are looking to get back out there as aoon as possible but the problem is I only had around 6 months driving experience and most of the company's requirements are 2+ years.

Does anybody know of any company's with LMOs that will take on a driver with 6 months experience of driving in Canada and the USA? I don't have any UK experience either.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Rich

Here's a pic of one of the rigs I was driving, I hauled for slh but I was not employed by them, they were a good company to drive for at least!

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...oo/image-1.jpg

I think we've both worked for the same man. And I never got paid!!!!!

Richie83 Feb 27th 2013 11:55 pm

Quite possibly smudger! Did you work for slh or ralcan?

Smudger75 Feb 28th 2013 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Richie83 (Post 10574292)
Quite possibly smudger! Did you work for slh or ralcan?

SLH but through A O/O

Richie83 Feb 28th 2013 12:38 am

Yes same here, it does indeed look like we both worked for the same company / operator.