British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Company-Paid/Provided Training (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/company-paid-provided-training-788320/)

AdrianR Feb 22nd 2013 1:55 pm

Company-Paid/Provided Training

Folks
Does anyone know of Canadian trucking companies that will train from scratch - or pay for the new-hire's HGV training, on the basis he stays with that company for 'x' months?

It seems to be common in the USA (CR England, Schneider etc) but I can't find Canuck trucking companies doing the same.

I have Canadian PR, a 10 year B1/B2 visa for the USA, a Mexican passport and I'm fluent in Spanish...just lacking the commercial license.

Gremmie Feb 23rd 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Company-Paid/Provided Training

Originally Posted by AdrianR (Post 10561849)
Folks
Does anyone know of Canadian trucking companies that will train from scratch - or pay for the new-hire's HGV training, on the basis he stays with that company for 'x' months?

It seems to be common in the USA (CR England, Schneider etc) but I can't find Canuck trucking companies doing the same.

I have Canadian PR, a 10 year B1/B2 visa for the USA, a Mexican passport and I'm fluent in Spanish...just lacking the commercial license.

Manitoba has a program up and running to get new blood into trucking

Are You Interested in Becoming a Professional Truck Driver?
Then you may be interested in the MPI Entry Level Professional Truck Driver Training Program! Eligible participants will receive 100% funding of their tuition to a participating Class 1 driver training school. For more information, please contact Danielle at the MTA office. You can reach Danielle by phone (204-632-6600 or 1-866-820-1317) or by email: [email protected]. Call TODAY for more information!

AdrianR Feb 23rd 2013 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 10564253)
Manitoba has a program up and running to get new blood into trucking <snip>

Thanks for the link. It is interesting, though not without several hoops that must be jumped through. These include, amongst other things:
1. Must be a resident of Manitoba
2. Must be pre-approved by Employment Manitoba
3. Must already be in employment with an approved trucking company and must sign a contract to stay with them for 2 years after completion of training.

Still, might be worth further investigation.

Anyone else know of companies - Maritimes preferably - that do their own 'in-house' training a la Schneider/CR England?

kb33 Feb 23rd 2013 8:41 pm

Why not just pay for you're own training then claim it back in taxes at the end of the year ?

Then you're not tied to any company and work where you like , Even short haul as you have PR .

AdrianR Feb 23rd 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10564555)
Why not just pay for you're own training then claim it back in taxes at the end of the year ?

'Cos the only deal I can find in NS that offers an internship (required to get around the '2 years experience required') is the Commercial Safety College - costs C$9600, which I don't have - and they cannot guarantee employment after graduation.

I guess I could borrow, but I'd rather (at this point) hock myself into working for a company for 'x' months on the basis they paid for training.

kb33 Feb 23rd 2013 10:39 pm

Its never a good idea to "lock" yourself into a company , Ask the thousands that came over on the Alberta PNP and worked as a temporary worker until they had PR . A lot went back home broke and destitute because they couldn't work with the draconian ways of the company i.e. Hanging around for days on end as a unpaid baby sitter whilst waiting for a load. Not to mention waiting all day for a load then be expected to run all night to make up for lost time , Working like this , the company as a " hold on you " and they know it and use it to their advantage.

Personally I would avoid this at all costs even go as far to say avoid the industry as well if you can .

AdrianR Feb 24th 2013 12:10 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10564689)
Personally I would avoid this at all costs even go as far to say avoid the industry as well if you can .

Thanks for the advice - seems a lot of folk on various trucking-related fora say pretty much the same thing.

Although I would never expect to make a fortune, I am looking for something I can get into quickly, work at for 5 years or so and build a retirement fund...which wouldn't have to be that large, given I'm 49 and single.

cukks Feb 25th 2013 10:15 am

sorry to interupt are you saying the TRUCKING industry is that bad over in canada.:confused:

kb33 Feb 25th 2013 4:24 pm

Nope ..

But for someone without experience and a class one licence , being tied to one company will almost certainly end in tears .

Gremmie Feb 26th 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by AdrianR (Post 10564335)
Thanks for the link. It is interesting, though not without several hoops that must be jumped through. These include, amongst other things:
1. Must be a resident of Manitoba
2. Must be pre-approved by Employment Manitoba
3. Must already be in employment with an approved trucking company and must sign a contract to stay with them for 2 years after completion of training.

Still, might be worth further investigation.

Anyone else know of companies - Maritimes preferably - that do their own 'in-house' training a la Schneider/CR England?

May be get out of the Maritimes, the trucking industry over there is pretty dead.

scrubbedexpat133 Mar 10th 2013 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 10569556)
May be get out of the Maritimes, the trucking industry over there is pretty dead.

:confused:

alandoug Mar 14th 2013 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by AdrianR (Post 10561849)
Folks

Try Bulk Carriers on PEI.
They even pay you while you train. I did mine there, you only pay for the tests