Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

class 1 trucker looking for canada work

class 1 trucker looking for canada work

Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

buzz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: class 1 trucker looking for canada work

Originally Posted by foden12
I came to Canada 20th Dec 2006 and have worked for a number of companies in Ontario. Challenger Motor Freight being the first, big mistake. You are just a number to them...literaly.
I stuck it out for 2 years doing Vacouver and Vancouver Island which meant crosing the Rockies...sooo cooool. Got the experience I needed and then began the Toronto-Montreal corridor.did that for 2 years and now I work for Westcan Bulk Transport in Edmonton Alberta, hauling Supher and Fuel to and from the mines in Fort McMurry. you need to pass your written test then do your class 1 again...weird I know....but ask yourself this first...can you bareout long months of winter and short months of summer....I've been out in -50 out here in the oil feilds....but this is where the money is. It's your choice.
thanks a lot for the advice. im happy to do the long winters and long haul, i enjoy a challenge and without meaning to sound too money orientated, id like to be where the money is good. im willing and expecting to prove myself first, so thankyou for getting in touch, real insight.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
6.This is BritishExpats.com....... NOT UKRAINE WHINES R US,you lot can't drive a truck to start with. Bugger off !!!
thankyou. ill certainly ask any questions i think of, sorry for late reply, often get stuck out all week. thankyou.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Tomson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
6.This is BritishExpats.com....... NOT UKRAINE WHINES R US,you lot can't drive a truck to start with. Bugger off !!!
Ask in lethbridge all British Driver( because you guys are the best driver)
Not one is happy. If they can they would go back. They can't pay they rent, they sleep in homeless shelter. They earning less money than in uk. Go there and ask the driver. YES you are right British driver are the best driver in the world. No one else can drive a truck than you guys. By the way I'm British.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think its that bad in Lethbridge yes there are some British not happy or making good money i have been here in Canada 7 1/2 years and drove for some crap Company's and got crap money it's not easy but i will never go back to UK that's for sure.There is also a lot of good company's out there to driver for. and just remember if it was that easy everyone would be doing it
Old Mar 11th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
I've met loads who went back broke due to lack of miles, and unpaid sitting.

No such thing at the likes of H&R, they can give you zero miles, and zero money if they like.
I have never spoken to anyone on a minimum wage paid weekly or monthly, only a PROMISE of the government minimum ANNUAL earning.
I just dug out my old contract (i signed one sent it back to company,kept a copy to show at POE with my LMO# to get aTWP)
and it says under wages....guarenteed monthly minimum $3000 for first 3months ,then $3500 for rest of contract. the other 2 uk drivers and the ukranian all had the same contract at dubois.
recon the employment laws in Manitoba must be lot better than alberta.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tomson
Not one is happy. If they can they would go back. They can't pay they rent, they sleep in homeless shelter. They earning less money than in uk. Go there and ask the driver. YES you are right British driver are the best driver in the world. No one else can drive a truck than you guys. By the way I'm British.
Why do you write like a 2 year old ?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Off course its not like UK &europe its North america !
but come on its not like it was a secret that people were having problems with H&R,its been on forums since 07-08 that i remember.
If you think you have been treated as a slave complain to the Alberta government.
buzz1983, not all firms are like that ,use the internet to read what people are saying and where they are going.
then come back and ask a more specific question about driving in canada /type of work you like eg. bulk,flat,van and i am sure you people will give you advice.
jimmy
cheers jimmy, youre a legend. getting some quite good feedback from people and applied for a couple of firms just to see what my chances are. cheers, buzz.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by foden12
Sorry to hear that...I must have struck lucky...While in Bonnyville I was on $25 an hour for 8 hours then $37 and hour overtime..working around 13 to 16 hours a day. long hours eh!!...so came to Edmonton and $22 an hour for 2 weeks classroom work, and now been put to work training on sulpher and fuel B trains. Then be put on a dedicated run from Fort Sasketchewan to Fort McMurry.
As regards to your drivers licence..you can drive a car on your UK licence for 90 days then you trade it in for an Ontario one..dont know about here in Alberta though...and yeah, it could cost you around $1000 to $1800 for your AZ licence...the A is your licence and the Z is your Air Break Endorsment.
But expect to have a culture shock as regards the trucking industry here. But to earn the good money, then head west to Alberta, where the oil fields are. Westcan Bulk Transport will help you to immigrate to Canada with their Foreign Worker Programme...I've heard you can receive your landed status in around 30 days in some cases....unfortunatly I'm doing immigration on my own bat...and its taken me 5 years up till now, but I started mine in Oshawa Ontario, even though I married a Canadian in 2008. If you want to know more about westcan..I suggest you call them...just Google them or www.westcanbulk.ca good luck what ever you decide.
thanks alot. had a look at westcan and just emailed them. cheers for the advice, ill let you know what they say.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamesmc
thanks for the email not
anything ive got to say ill say in public .
yes im sorry for people coming to canada and losing everything because of lies...but if you pick up sticks and move across the world without checking everything out...............
There are more companies in canada than the one you mentioned in the email.
no way would anyone call me a .. licker to my face ,i have never worked for them .
we came to canada with f.all and after 4yrs ,have a house wi no mortgage paid for by trucking.so stick that in yur pipe and smoke it.
tube!!.
this is meant for one person who emailed me.
sorry mods ...if it upsets you just delete.
jimmy
like your style
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:55 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice

I live in Lethbridge and I earn what I would consider a good wage and I am treated very well by my employer and colleagues, life could not be better for me or my family. And I don't live in a shelter either, your generalizations may require a bit more research possibly.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Your British...really?!! Either you played truant or those English teachers were really abysmal!! Come on bud, there's plenty of intelligent people on here, I wouldn't try and kid anyone!!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dirtytrucker
I live in Lethbridge and I earn what I would consider a good wage and I am treated very well by my employer and colleagues, life could not be better for me or my family. And I don't live in a shelter either, your generalizations may require a bit more research possibly.
Pleased to hear its going well for you. I take much of what I see on here with a large grain of salt! If a company is so bad that your living in a shelter, I would perhaps suggest a change of employer!!
Shame about the avatar though....c'mon Warnocks White Army!!! lol
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps his English teacher was an East European.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

pat..sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default irish trucker needs advice

::hello there all my fellow truckers,, looking for some advice if one of you kind gentlemen or madams can help a irish trucker in need ...looking to move over to london onterio in sept ,,got my driveing test sorted..god help me 20 years of bad habits to sort out..anyway if i can get a job offer can i cross the border ,,,flagpole,, and come back to canada till my work permit runs out ...and can i renew it every 6 or 12 months or do i have to head home....

Last edited by pat..sue; Mar 15th 2012 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Tosh_5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
+1

I worked for Werner for f**ks sake.......... but you gotta earn your stripes.
Werners that's nearly as bad as jb hunt lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.