Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

nofrills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
I can see why you assume i am attempting to confuse you as you seem to have me mixed with someone called spacedmonkey, and indeed an old timer which i have informed you in this very thread i am not.

You are mixing yourself up here. Everyone in this thread has attempted to give you advice, the only difference is Sats72 advice falls in a better light to your objective. It's not a matter of people putting you off what you want to do, it's people giving you honest advice which you asked for. Don't get upset when it does not fall within your agenda.

Then why are you here?
Spacemonkey
"Everyone in this thread has attempted to give you advice"

The only person that has honestly attempted to see things from my perspective and attempted to give me an honest advice of what I should do to achieve my goal is Sats72, no matter how much you and your whinging and complainig about my idea of moving there so soon after just passing my Class 1 licence, mates like.
I've clearly explained to everyone here why I'm planning to move so soon, and where in Canada I want to move exactly and why, but despite posting clarifying comments over and over again, some people still seem having troubles understanding what and why I'm exactly planning to do.
No matter how much explaining I will do , some will still be comming posting comments , questions not related to what I've been posting in here.
After reading some of this comments I actualy wonder how do you people function as truck drivers in the real world, if you have an attention span of a ...yes... monkey.
How do take instructions , how do you read maps and follow simple sat nav directions?
After reading some of these comments I actualy realise that if you people can become truck drivers and keep driving trucks and not causing accidents every other day, then clearly anybody can do it.
I've said it already, but I repeat it again, for obvious reasons, I do know of the dangers of going to Canada straight after passing my Class 1 licence and yes I also know that best thing to do would be to work for some time in the UK getting the experience needed, but since I know some people have done it and I worry about circumstances changing before I have a chance to make the move in 2-3 years time, I've decided to do it now.
and when I wrote I won't need anymore of your help, I ment I won't need anymore help from the few of you that have started bashing me for pointing at Smudger75 for talking BS not making any sense.
Some of you are here to post anything, start some wars, as you are simply too bored sitting in a layby in the middle of nowhere, some of you are desperate for entertainment and that's where you come to get some.
As I said I'm thankfull Sats72 that he was seeing things I'm seeing and tried his best to answer all my questions, all other replies were to be honest a waste of space.
My advice to some of you people, if you ever attempt again trying to help others , please do yourself and others a favour and read carefully their questions and try to actualy reply to questions asked. Do not try to force your views onto others and then get upset when others do not want to fallow your advice.
Constructive warnings are always welcomed, but enough is enough.
and before I go, Spacemonkey, I challenge you to find what I was wrong about in my last post directed at Smudger75. Please
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nofrills
Spacemonkey
"Everyone in this thread has attempted to give you advice"

The only person that has honestly attempted to see things from my perspective and attempted to give me an honest advice of what I should do to achieve my goal is Sats72, no matter how much you and your whinging and complainig about my idea of moving there so soon after just passing my Class 1 licence, mates like.
I've clearly explained to everyone here why I'm planning to move so soon, and where in Canada I want to move exactly and why, but despite posting clarifying comments over and over again, some people still seem having troubles understanding what and why I'm exactly planning to do.
No matter how much explaining I will do , some will still be comming posting comments , questions not related to what I've been posting in here.
After reading some of this comments I actualy wonder how do you people function as truck drivers in the real world, if you have an attention span of a ...yes... monkey.
How do take instructions , how do you read maps and follow simple sat nav directions?
After reading some of these comments I actualy realise that if you people can become truck drivers and keep driving trucks and not causing accidents every other day, then clearly anybody can do it.
I've said it already, but I repeat it again, for obvious reasons, I do know of the dangers of going to Canada straight after passing my Class 1 licence and yes I also know that best thing to do would be to work for some time in the UK getting the experience needed, but since I know some people have done it and I worry about circumstances changing before I have a chance to make the move in 2-3 years time, I've decided to do it now.
and when I wrote I won't need anymore of your help, I ment I won't need anymore help from the few of you that have started bashing me for pointing at Smudger75 for talking BS not making any sense.
Some of you are here to post anything, start some wars, as you are simply too bored sitting in a layby in the middle of nowhere, some of you are desperate for entertainment and that's where you come to get some.
As I said I'm thankfull Sats72 that he was seeing things I'm seeing and tried his best to answer all my questions, all other replies were to be honest a waste of space.
My advice to some of you people, if you ever attempt again trying to help others , please do yourself and others a favour and read carefully their questions and try to actualy reply to questions asked. Do not try to force your views onto others and then get upset when others do not want to fallow your advice.
Constructive warnings are always welcomed, but enough is enough.
and before I go, Spacemonkey, I challenge you to find what I was wrong about in my last post directed at Smudger75. Please
Forget the advice people here have given and attempted to give you, it's clearly all in vein. If you had posted like this in your OP people could have rightly advised you away from immigration and getting experience, into either gaining maturity or a better general attitude.

Like Mick, who is experienced in the process you are attempting to gain advice about, i am washing my hands with this thread.

You have some serious mentality issues.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

nofrills is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
Forget the advice people here have given and attempted to give you, it's clearly all in vein. If you had posted like this in your OP people could have rightly advised you away from immigration and getting experience, into either gaining maturity or a better general attitude.

Like Mick, who is experienced in the process you are attempting to gain advice about, i am washing my hands with this thread.

You have some serious mentality issues.
If there is anyone that have mentality issues is you buddy.
I tried to treat everyone respectfully as I always do, but unfortunately you with your "know all, know better what I want" atitude have managed to ruin this tread.
I hope you will keep your word this time and will keep away from this tread.
Your advice you not welcomed on this tread anymore.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

I might talk BS as you say! But I have 23 years of class one experience of the UK and all over Europe and now in Canada. Done with this shit I'm going snowboarding. Thanks Mickfly and Spacemonkey we tried but some people are beyond help!!!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

@ nofrills

I have read through the thread and can only conclude that you are not reading into why and what people are trying to tell you. You seem blinkered to the reality of the Industry and what is required to come here as a professional driver - something you are not yet ie any muppet can pass a test being a pro takes time and a lot of hard work and a willingness to learn from those who go before you.

Your attitude is Arrogant, Ignorant and Bolshy - You will fall flat on your face unless you pull your socks up.

We could all have blown smoke up your a$$ but in the cold light of day reality will hit you like a ton of bricks. You may make it over here with some cowboy outfit that will put any meat in the seat - ask your self why you are there???

You came on here and asked for help and advice. This was given and roundly rejected as it did not conform to your narrow definition of what you wanted to hear.

If you ever want to get anywhere in this Industry learn one thing...... Two ears One Mouth - use in that order.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:46 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Originally Posted by Alex2201
@ nofrills

I have read through the thread and can only conclude that you are not reading into why and what people are trying to tell you. You seem blinkered to the reality of the Industry and what is required to come here as a professional driver - something you are not yet ie any muppet can pass a test being a pro takes time and a lot of hard work and a willingness to learn from those who go before you.

Your attitude is Arrogant, Ignorant and Bolshy - You will fall flat on your face unless you pull your socks up.

We could all have blown smoke up your a$$ but in the cold light of day reality will hit you like a ton of bricks. You may make it over here with some cowboy outfit that will put any meat in the seat - ask your self why you are there???

You came on here and asked for help and advice. This was given and roundly rejected as it did not conform to your narrow definition of what you wanted to hear.

If you ever want to get anywhere in this Industry learn one thing...... Two ears One Mouth - use in that order.
couldnt agree more, learn some manners no frills and listen to guys who know what they r talking about, most of the guys on here (me included 23years experience) were probably on the road while u were having your nappy changed
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

Just came across this thread. It reminds me of the time when I double-manned an urgent load to Anchorage, Alaska. My partner had never driven a truck on snow before, never driven in mountains before and never driven a truck in mountains at night. He had done about 3 months agency work on artics before he came to Canada but 6 years later he is still here and is now a good driver. He'll never find his foot-prints in the snow because a lot good men carried him. If you come over to Canada, there's a lot to learn but it can be done. Good luck.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Nofrills,

I would advise you to go the way "Sats72" did to enable you to get into Canada via the "backdoor" and to see
(after you complete a USA harvest run) if the trucking work is really for you.

I advised "Sats72" to try this "harvest run" avenue a few years ago due to his little experience driving HGV1 in the UK and unable to secure decent work here because of lack of experience.

I'm really happy for him that it all worked out!!!

The bosswoman of "Altendorf Harvesting Minto ND" Jan Altendorf has posted here that she is looking for more workers and they use the "H2A overseas temp worker" visa route regular:
http://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...l-manager.html
I would take what some say on that post with a "pinch of salt", Altendorfs aren't perfect but you'll do OK if you can handle BIG hours and sometimes sittin about bored waiting on the crops to ripen or storms to leave area!!!!

If your quick you might make it for this seasons harvest starting mid/late May!!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Apr 28th 2013 at 10:59 am.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Nofrills,

I would advise you to go the way "Sats72" did to enable you to get into Canada via the "backdoor" and to see
(after you complete a USA harvest run) if the trucking work is really for you.

I advised "Sats72" to try this "harvest run" avenue a few years ago due to his little experience driving HGV1 in the UK and unable to secure decent work here because of lack of experience.

I'm really happy for him that it all worked out!!!

The bosswoman of "Altendorf Harvesting Minto ND" Jan Altendorf has posted here that she is looking for more workers and they use the "H2A overseas temp worker" visa route regular:
http://www.thecombineforum.com/forum...l-manager.html
I would take what some say on that post with a "pinch of salt", Altendorfs aren't perfect but you'll do OK if you can handle BIG hours and sometimes sittin about bored waiting on the crops to ripen or storms to leave area!!!!

If your quick you might make it for this seasons harvest starting mid/late May!!!!!
You might want to think why Altendorf has to hire Europeans and cant get Americans to work for them ?????
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You might want to think why Altendorf has to hire Europeans and cant get Americans to work for them ?????
90% of USA harvest companies NEED to hire overseas workers via the H2A temp harvest visa due to usually being away from homebase from late May to Late Nov.
Not many Americans keen on that!!

They have done so for literally YEARS, hence the reason that DOT in their own hometown are used to many new potential CDL drivers doing the tests in Apr/May/Jun each season so in turn makes it SLIGHTLY easier to achieve getting your licence!!!!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

Is it still possible to take the CDL test when on this H2A permit? It's just that whilst reading up on it I found this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=US+cdl that says as from January 2012, a CDL can only be issued to a permanent resident or US Citizen

"383.71- Driver Application & Certification Procedures

Issue CLP/CDL only to:
- US Citizen
- Lawful permanent resident of US"
Old Jul 4th 2013, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Debra186
Is it still possible to take the CDL test when on this H2A permit? It's just that whilst reading up on it I found this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=US+cdl that says as from January 2012, a CDL can only be issued to a permanent resident or US Citizen

"383.71- Driver Application & Certification Procedures

Issue CLP/CDL only to:
- US Citizen
- Lawful permanent resident of US"
I was able to renew my expired CDL last year (April 2012) without any problem as a temporary worker, and I know a load of South Africans got their CDL's and it was their first time in the US. The difference for temporary workers is their CDL expires with the visa, where as a PR would get a 5 year CDL. HTH
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

OK thanks.