Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

nofrills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Class 1 licence, no experience, Canada emigration

Originally Posted by Smudger75
No I wasn't thinking of the weather, by the sound of it you've researched that and you said you've experienced extreme conditions before. It's just I've seen drivers go back to the UK when they realise the streets aren't paved with gold! Their is gold there but we have to work for it.
Yes , I am fully aware the first two years are not going to be rosy, and you just need to keep your head down and do what you are asked to do.
I'm prepared for this mentaly.
The only real problem is going to be finding a company that will accept a newly UK qualified driver.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nofrills
Yes , I am fully aware the first two years are not going to be rosy, and you just need to keep your head down and do what you are asked to do.
I'm prepared for this mentaly.
The only real problem is going to be finding a company that will accept a newly UK qualified driver.
You say you want flat deck work try, DeckX which is pat of transX!! Worth a shot!!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

Another question is did you take your C+E straight out or have you been driving class 2 for some time now?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
Another question is did you take your C+E straight out or have you been driving class 2 for some time now?
yes, I did take my Class 1 straight after passing Class 2.
I know, it's not going to work in my favour.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

yes, I did take my Class 1 straight after passing Class 2.
I know, it's not going to work in my favour.
No it wont at all.

There needs to be an element of reality in what you are contemplating. While wanting to move and drive and have a living in Canada is not impossible it's a far far cry from what you should realistically be thinking about.

You have just taken both your HGV tests, man you don't even know if you enjoy or can do the job yet. It's one thing passing your test it's a completely different thing using it to earn a living. A lot of people hate hate hate to choices they made that resulted in the them becoming a driver and are stuck in that rut. Some manage to get out and move onto other professions some manage to move up the glass ceiling into transport management which is what i did.

You need to get rid of your greenhorn in the UK before even looking at broadening your horizons. I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom i really do but if moving and working in Canada is something you really want to do in your life a two year wait is nothing in reality. Life changes so much in two years, and you will learn so much in the job too - if you are still alive and enjoying it then start looking at companies in Canada.

Look at me i registered on this forum in 2005 and only now am i certain its something i wish to do. Patience is not only a virtue here its a down right necessity
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

No it wont at all.

There needs to be an element of reality in what you are contemplating. While wanting to move and drive and have a living in Canada is not impossible it's a far far cry from what you should realistically be thinking about.

You have just taken both your HGV tests, man you don't even know if you enjoy or can do the job yet. It's one thing passing your test it's a completely different thing using it to earn a living. A lot of people hate hate hate to choices they made that resulted in the them becoming a driver and are stuck in that rut. Some manage to get out and move onto other professions some manage to move up the glass ceiling into transport management which is what i did.

You need to get rid of your greenhorn in the UK before even looking at broadening your horizons. I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom i really do but if moving and working in Canada is something you really want to do in your life a two year wait is nothing in reality. Life changes so much in two years, and you will learn so much in the job too - if you are still alive and enjoying it then start looking at companies in Canada.

Look at me i registered on this forum in 2005 and only now am i certain its something i wish to do. Patience is not only a virtue here its a down right necessity
No beating about the bush here, but spacemonkey had a valid point!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sats72

Haven't checked your previous posts yet, but will do.
1. To do that harvesting job in the US, what type of visa would I need to apply for, and how difficult it is to get one?
2. How do I get the Class 1 licence in the US, would anyone be willing to pay for it, what is the process of getting the licence?

I'm actualy thinking of driving flat decks, I know it is not any easy job, especialy in the cold canadian conditions, but that's something I would want to do in the future.
Obviously I would take any job offered by an employer as long as it is long haul as it is what's needed to qualify for a PR.
From what I've read so far I would need to drive with some other driver for some time before being given my own truck to use.
The visa is called a H2A visa, and as far the licence goes I trained myself for it using a company truck, but it only cost about $70 for everything (that's in North Dakota). I went with Altendorf Harvesting & Trucking, but other harvesters might train you.

If this interests you, you can check out a company called Southern Impact, they help harvesters with visas and to find employees.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

I am aware of less then perfect conditions offered to drivers going there with 2 years experience , what I was trying to say was that if conditions offered to me were going to be significantly worse than those I would stay in the UK and do do my 2 years experience before applying to emigrate.

Not sure what you ment by saying "so you would have an extra 2 years waiting whilst in the UK, then up to FOUR years working on long haul until you get PR".
I thought I would need only 6 months before applying for PR and then up to 2 years to be granted PR.
I've also read that in Manitoba and Saskatchewan you need to work for 6 months for a canadian company, then apply for your PR, and usualy wait 1 year to get your PR granted.
Am I missing something here?

Thanks
I know drivers in Alberta for H&R who have been working for 4 years and still no sign of PR being finalised, i'm sure it's different in other provinces and at other companies. I also knew two drivers there (H&R) who only passed their test in the army and didn't drive any lorries after that, who still got jobs with them.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Smudger75
No beating about the bush here, but spacemonkey had a valid point!
I don't mean to be harsh at all i really don't but there needs to be a level of grounding for the guy really.

It's all very nice and exciting passing your HGV 2 it's even better when you pass your HGV 1 but it's a very very different aspect applying those license's to a job. It takes a long time to get use to driving a HGV and a long time to get used to its mannerisms and its's characteristics. Then there is the general work itself and what its like, in the UK constantly stopping in piss infested parking while eating your lunch and or dinner. Constant threat of fuel and cargo theft, constant push push push, unwelcome goods in, misserable road users who see you as a moving speed calmer, never home, when you home your hour counting till you back in again, constantly covered in 5th wheel grease, H+S nut jobs left right and centre, VOSA breathing down you neck if you fart on a taco................................. the list goes on and on and on.

For someone to want to move around the globe for a job they have no idea how to do, have never done, and hold no insight to at all is a dream really. Many "seasoned" drivers have returned from Canada, many where sold a false dream too - but the constant return of experienced drivers should be the biggest warning sign to any driver going over, more so to the inexperienced. I understand its turning your hand to a new profession in Canada HGV to Class 1 transition is very very different but in all honesty the experiences gained from HGV (those listed above) driving are still comparable.

I am in no means saying its not possible and viable at all. As Mick has said there are companies who are willing to take people on with minimal experience (H+R). BUT using that as an avenue is one thing, finding out you hate the job halfway around the world is another. I would rather be 4.5hrs from home realising i hate my job that days away from my base and then a long haul flight back. It also doe not effect the OP himself it effects the employer, the trainer, the guy who could have took that LMO and so on.

My honest advice would be do some agency work in the UK, try and do as varied jobs as possible (for the most part it will be store deliveries and trunking), try and get a job in the UK, take the other peoples advice r.e. harvest work, even take a job white van driving over Europe.

I'm not some miserable fuddy duddy either i'm in my mid 30's so im down widda kidz
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

No it wont at all.

I appreciate your reply and dangers you've outlined in it, but I've tought through all points you've mentioned there.
It was as if one day I got up from bed and thought it would be a nice if I could move to Canada after watching a bear catching a salmon on National Geographic.
I know it is not ideal to think about moving to Canada right after passing a Class 1 licence and I would much more prefer to have plenty of driving behind my belt before moving there, unfortunately the world we are living in is not ideal, and politicians are not widely known for sticking to their word, they might change their mind in the future and decide they've had enough of overseas drivers and they simply stop giving PR's away to truck drivers.
I wouldn't be spending my money and putting so much effort into learning it all if I didn't enjoy driving , if I didn't think that it something I would want to do for the foreseeable future.
I'm not saying I will do this untill I die, but that is something I would want to do for some time to come.
and yes, I know driving hours in Canada are not the same as they are here, you are away for much longer, and you do not get much time off.
Pay is not as great as some might think, I know all of that.
But, Canada is a place I would want to end up living for the rest of my life for various reasons, and I think it is worth to spend 2 years doing long distance work, see the country and the US and if I decide I do not like it anymore after 2 years of driving there and after getting my PR I might decide to do something else, local truck driving, local bus driving, etc.
If there is a risk of getting killed, I might as well get killed working in a country I want work and live istead of getting killed earning my 2 years experience before applying to move to Canada.
I do not want to sound rude in any way, and I appreciate the advice I've been given, but I was asking for advice whether I should move to Canada, whether I'm doing the right thing, or if I should maybe get some experience first in the Uk, I was asking for some info about companies in Canada that would be willing to employ a newly UK qualified driver.
If I won't be able to find anyone willing to employ me there without experience than I know exactly what I will be doing next about and it won't be sitting for ever hoping that one day some Canadian company will contact me offering me a start there.
I have clear back up plans for every situation so I won't be surprised if my plan A doesn't work.
So, if anyone has anything to say regarding my questions from the opening post I would appreciate if you could let me know about it.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mickfly
I know drivers in Alberta for H&R who have been working for 4 years and still no sign of PR being finalised, i'm sure it's different in other provinces and at other companies. I also knew two drivers there (H&R) who only passed their test in the army and didn't drive any lorries after that, who still got jobs with them.
Hi mickfly

Thanks for clarifying that.
I've also read somewhere else that Alberta drags its feet when it comes to granting PR status to all those foreign drivers, but I didn't know that it can take 4 years of waiting.
Do you think it is more of a driver's (applicants) fault, or company's in this case H&R's faul, or is this the province's fault?
That's why I would not want to go Alberta I would much prefer Manitoba or Saskatchewan, as the process is speedier there from what I've read so far from other posts.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2013, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sats72
The visa is called a H2A visa, and as far the licence goes I trained myself for it using a company truck, but it only cost about $70 for everything (that's in North Dakota). I went with Altendorf Harvesting & Trucking, but other harvesters might train you.

If this interests you, you can check out a company called Southern Impact, they help harvesters with visas and to find employees.

Good Luck.
Hi Sats72

Thanks for that info.
It sounds interesting I have to say.
I would have a few questions regarding this harvesting work in the US:
1. When you were applying for this job did you have a class 1 licence in the UK, did you have any experience driving lorries in the UK, did they require you to have a UK licence and experience?
2. If I started to apply for this type of visa and work right now, would I still qualify for this season's work or would it need to be for next year?
3. Is this US licence, I think it's called CDL same as class 1 in the UK and would it be transferable to the Canadian Class 1 licence (or equivalent whatever they have there in Canada)?
4. I'm also wondering whether it would make sense going there and doing this harvesting job in the US, it might actualy be better to start working in the UK, (if I won't be able to find a Canadian company that would take me without experience) as what what I've read when you got to Canada the company that brings you there on LMO pays from you Canadian licence, so it might not make sense doing this US licence at all ( I might be worng here).
5. Would you mind telling me how much you got paid for doing that work and is it more driving or working on the fields doing other jobs?
If you do not like revealing this info in here, just send me a message , please.

Thank you
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sats72

Thanks for that info.
It sounds interesting I have to say.
I would have a few questions regarding this harvesting work in the US:
1. When you were applying for this job did you have a class 1 licence in the UK, did you have any experience driving lorries in the UK, did they require you to have a UK licence and experience?
2. If I started to apply for this type of visa and work right now, would I still qualify for this season's work or would it need to be for next year?
3. Is this US licence, I think it's called CDL same as class 1 in the UK and would it be transferable to the Canadian Class 1 licence (or equivalent whatever they have there in Canada)?
4. I'm also wondering whether it would make sense going there and doing this harvesting job in the US, it might actualy be better to start working in the UK, (if I won't be able to find a Canadian company that would take me without experience) as what what I've read when you got to Canada the company that brings you there on LMO pays from you Canadian licence, so it might not make sense doing this US licence at all ( I might be worng here).
5. Would you mind telling me how much you got paid for doing that work and is it more driving or working on the fields doing other jobs?
If you do not like revealing this info in here, just send me a message , please.

Thank you
Hi nofrills, No I don't mind revealing on the forum at all, I got lots of info from various forums and it's just right that I share it.

1. Yes I had the licence, but not much experience. I couldn't get UK companies to hire me. When I applied to the harvest, I told them I was looking for experience. So no you don't necessarily need experience.

2. You could start looking into it right now and get over this season. Look on the combine forum too, then go to employment thread.

3. The CDL is the equivalent to a Canadian class 1 and is transferable providing it's still valid. Your CDL expires along with your visa, unless you go to Washington State (they give a 5 year CDL).

4. I paid for my own Canadian Class 1 licence, but some companies might pay for it (I don't really know). Saying that, it only cost about $70 so no huge outlay and I transferred my CDL to Canadian Class 1. I can only give my opinion here, but I think US harvest experience is better than any experience you'd get in the UK. Same trucks, side of road and logbooks etc. Just different weights, hours and speeds (mph/kmph).

5. Well it can depend on the harvest company you go with, I just drove. I went to a field to get loaded, then took the load to an elevator that's it. You also drive from state to state, some companies you also do heavy hauling (moving combines and grain carts), although I didn't. The pay can vary (depends on what you do and who you go with), but $2000 - $3000 pm you'd be looking at and it's tax free.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sats72
Hi nofrills, No I don't mind revealing on the forum at all, I got lots of info from various forums and it's just right that I share it.

1. Yes I had the licence, but not much experience. I couldn't get UK companies to hire me. When I applied to the harvest, I told them I was looking for experience. So no you don't necessarily need experience.

2. You could start looking into it right now and get over this season. Look on the combine forum too, then go to employment thread.

3. The CDL is the equivalent to a Canadian class 1 and is transferable providing it's still valid. Your CDL expires along with your visa, unless you go to Washington State (they give a 5 year CDL).

4. I paid for my own Canadian Class 1 licence, but some companies might pay for it (I don't really know). Saying that, it only cost about $70 so no huge outlay and I transferred my CDL to Canadian Class 1. I can only give my opinion here, but I think US harvest experience is better than any experience you'd get in the UK. Same trucks, side of road and logbooks etc. Just different weights, hours and speeds (mph/kmph).

5. Well it can depend on the harvest company you go with, I just drove. I went to a field to get loaded, then took the load to an elevator that's it. You also drive from state to state, some companies you also do heavy hauling (moving combines and grain carts), although I didn't. The pay can vary (depends on what you do and who you go with), but $2000 - $3000 pm you'd be looking at and it's tax free.

Hope this helps.
Hi Sats72

Thanks once again for replying.
A few further questions if you don't mind:

regarding reply 3 and 4:
1. You said you paid by yourself for your Candain Class 1 and then you said you transfered your CDL (american) to Canadian Class 1.
I'm a little confused here, if you trasfered your CDL to Canadian Class 1 then you wouldn't have to pay again for your Canadian class 1 , am I right?
2. If you did transfer your CDL to Canadian class 1 , how did you do this, did you go to Canada straight after finishing your harvesting job, and how long was your harbesting work visa valid for?
3. How did you get your Canadian job, did you go back to the UK and applied from there or you went to Canada straight after finishing your harvesting job?
4. How long did you actualy do that harvesting job, and what states did you work in?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Hi mickfly

Thanks for clarifying that.
I've also read somewhere else that Alberta drags its feet when it comes to granting PR status to all those foreign drivers, but I didn't know that it can take 4 years of waiting.
Do you think it is more of a driver's (applicants) fault, or company's in this case H&R's faul, or is this the province's fault?
That's why I would not want to go Alberta I would much prefer Manitoba or Saskatchewan, as the process is speedier there from what I've read so far from other posts.

Thanks
I don't know why it has taken some people so long, they may have background check problems or such like, on the other hand if a company has a large turnover of drivers it might pay to ask their immigration bods to slow things down so they can keep people longer, who knows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.