British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Claim ur tax back before u leave the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/claim-ur-tax-back-before-u-leave-uk-585700/)

dinkydonk Jan 20th 2009 10:19 am

Claim ur tax back before u leave the UK

I am moving out to Canada to work @ the begining of April & I have just learnt that I can claim back the tax I have paid since April last year.
I phoned the tax man and he has told me to download a form off their webpage (form p85) www.gov.uk.
Hope this informations helps anyone moving out there, as i had only found out it out by chance.

bigwheels241 Jan 20th 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Claim ur tax back before u leave the UK

Most countries offer a (Just under 6-months) within a tax year, full return of tax paid.

When I was in AUS thats the case and when I left Canada I claimed most back from there too.

Must look into your link and get Mr. Brown £££ back now :eek: before he pays it into another falling downslide BANK

dinger24 Jan 20th 2009 5:51 pm

That sounds bloomin good!
Ill be having some of that.
Has any one actually done this from the UK to Canada?

farjojo71 Jan 20th 2009 6:31 pm

I actually thought that you could only claim the previous years tax if you had earned under your own tax allowance thingymebob. e.g. if you only earned £3000 and your allowance is £4500 then you haven't earned enough to pay tax and can claim back any tax you have paid. I did this years ago as I didn't work for the whole year and didn't earn enough. It was about 10 years ago though so maybe it has changed.

Have to look into this then as that would be extremely handy. Thanks OP for the heads up.

EDIT: The link doesn't work but this one should do work http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

EDIT EDIT lol: http://www.easyexpat.com/en/faq/work/q60.htm

Its from Nov 2006 but it gives you an example of how to calculate any tax rebate you may be due. To be honest, I think anyone leaving March or April this year is not really going to have much of a rebate, if at all.

http://www.taxfix.co.uk/income-tax-calculator.html Use this to get a rough idea if, like me, you are absolutely pants at maths :)

DAVIE_MAC Jan 20th 2009 9:55 pm

See Below Link with calculator:

http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/tax_pack.html

dinkydonk Jan 20th 2009 11:38 pm

When i phoned the taxman up for information on this, He told me that if i left before April the 6th 2009, I could claim back what i had paid over the last year.

Also I spoke to one fella who has moved out to canada 'with his family' and he got £8,000 back off the taxman (between him & his wife)

farjojo71 Jan 21st 2009 12:14 am

Originally Posted by dinkydonk (Post 7194118)
When i phoned the taxman up for information on this, He told me that if i left before April the 6th 2009, I could claim back what i had paid over the last year.

Also I spoke to one fella who has moved out to canada 'with his family' and he got £8,000 back off the taxman (between him & his wife)

Bleedin hell, well if that is the case, then I am definately happy to stand corrected!! :rofl:

Its worth a try anyway.....might catch the tax peeps on a good day :thumbsup:

Think OH better call the tax office tomorrow.

bigwheels241 Jan 21st 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by farjojo71 (Post 7194178)

Think OH better call the tax office tomorrow.

And????

farjojo71 Jan 21st 2009 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 7195823)
And????

Called the tax office and I'm afraid they said to me what I posted on here......you can only get all of your tax back if you have earned under your tax allowance. She said that if you have only worked part of the year and didn't earn enough to start paying tax, that would be when you get all of it back. Basically, if we were in Autumn time, this would be great but not so good at this time of year. Obviously one should still try if you are leaving the UK before April 5th as something is better than nothing but in our case, not a sausage!! :p

Not saying I'm right but that's just what she told me. Other thing I thought of is if you can get all of the tax back, then honestly, this forum will be full of the info about it and when I did a search on here...I couldn't find anything about getting all of the tax back regardless of what time of year it is.

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom!!! :rofl:

bigwheels241 Jan 21st 2009 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by farjojo71 (Post 7196623)
Called the tax office and I'm afraid they said to me what I posted on here......you can only get all of your tax back if you have earned under your tax allowance. She said that if you have only worked part of the year and didn't earn enough to start paying tax, that would be when you get all of it back. Basically, if we were in Autumn time, this would be great but not so good at this time of year. Obviously one should still try if you are leaving the UK before April 5th as something is better than nothing but in our case, not a sausage!! :p

Not saying I'm right but that's just what she told me. Other thing I thought of is if you can get all of the tax back, then honestly, this forum will be full of the info about it and when I did a search on here...I couldn't find anything about getting all of the tax back regardless of what time of year it is.

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom!!! :rofl:

I fully understand the comments, however, this is what I was told today from the Leeds Office:

If I leave UK and have been employed for all of this fiscal year, I can apply for the refund, my P45 from employer must be submitted and their office and they will take into account:

My gross earnings
Tax Paid to date
My family position / children

Their tax level for all this, and the amount.

Will be caculated and paid directly to my local UK bank account.

So this is close to your reply.

Either way, somethink from Mr Brown is better then Zero he is giving right now.

farjojo71 Jan 21st 2009 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 7197892)
I fully understand the comments, however, this is what I was told today from the Leeds Office:

If I leave UK and have been employed for all of this fiscal year, I can apply for the refund, my P45 from employer must be submitted and their office and they will take into account:

My gross earnings
Tax Paid to date
My family position / children

Their tax level for all this, and the amount.

Will be caculated and paid directly to my local UK bank account.

So this is close to your reply.

Either way, somethink from Mr Brown is better then Zero he is giving right now.

Oh definately agree...its still worth a try even if it isn't tons of cash. Did your tax office say that you had to apply for the rebate before the end of the tax year? The one I spoke to said that if we/you left after April 5th or 6th, then it was pointless applying as it was the start of a new tax year. Trouble is, we could speak to 50 different advisors and get 50 different answers! :rofl:

bigwheels241 Jan 21st 2009 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by farjojo71 (Post 7197952)
Trouble is, we could speak to 50 different advisors and get 50 different answers! :rofl:

Thats the 64 Million £ reply....no, but one assumes that if you leave after April, say 3-months into next tax year, you will get most if not all back, the closer you reach their levels of gross will cut it down.....

farjojo71 Jan 21st 2009 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 7197987)
Thats the 64 Million £ reply....no, but one assumes that if you leave after April, say 3-months into next tax year, you will get most if not all back, the closer you reach their levels of gross will cut it down.....

Yeah, thats how I interpreted it as too. Damn I wish it was about October time now :lol:

bigwheels241 Jan 21st 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by farjojo71 (Post 7197997)
Yeah, thats how I interpreted it as too. Damn I wish it was about October time now :lol:

I see your in Wales...

On a side note, just watched the news....report was Owens Transport could be next to fold.....

not looking good.....:thumbdown:

dinger24 Jan 21st 2009 10:30 pm

I am in Germany at the mo. I am assuming that the recession is hitting the haulage firms hard now back in the UK.
I am actually dreading going back to the UK, I have to admit the roads are S**t and I just think it is dull and grey