Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

Old Aug 6th 2014, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

I only know how it works in SK
After arriving with LMO and after 6 months of working for the company that brought you over...you can apply for PR...first with SINP in Regina....it usually takes about 8 weeks to get a PR nomination and with that nomination its easy to go to the borders...se the canadian custom office and ask them to renew the WP for another 2 years....simple...after that you can sort out the PR application with the CIC in Nova Scotia...2 years is enaugh time to do it....and if not....you can renew your WP again if your PR application is still in process....

BTW....does anybody know about SK stoping giving LMO to anybody including truckers? My friend told me that but I have no idea if its true
he said its still possible to get LMOs in other provinces but SK
Old Aug 6th 2014, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

Start a new thread Milan and ask? :-) I hope not! :-(
Old Aug 6th 2014, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rednaxela
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you have a PNP application in process you have implied status to continue working even after the TWP expires?
I agree. I did think that was the case and you would be given a bridging work permit or something similar until you received PR, otherwise what would be the point in the PNP?!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rednaxela
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you have a PNP application in process you have implied status to continue working even after the TWP expires?
In which case, I'll correct you. There would be no implied status in that case, and you couldn't keep working. You'd have to apply for either a TWP using the nomination, or a Bridging Open Work Permit after receiving AOR, if you wanted to keep working.

Originally Posted by Amy1807
I agree. I did think that was the case and you would be given a bridging work permit or something similar until you received PR, otherwise what would be the point in the PNP?!
In which case, you didn't think that would be the case - implied status is something completely different from a BOWP or PNP!

HTH.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In which case, I'll correct you. There would be no implied status in that case, and you couldn't keep working. You'd have to apply for either a TWP using the nomination, or a Bridging Open Work Permit after receiving AOR, if you wanted to keep working.

In which case, you didn't think that would be the case - implied status is something completely different from a BOWP or PNP!

HTH.
So my wording wasn't exactly correct, but I think most people would know what I meant
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807
So my wording wasn't exactly correct, but I think most people would know what I meant
Not really. Implied status means that you are allowed to continue to be in Canada as a visitor whilst waiting for a decision on an application for an extention as a visitor (temporary resident) or else as a worker when your current TWP is expiring and you are waiting for CIC to make a decision on an application for a TWP.

Temporary resident : Implied status (extending a stay)
I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?

Old Aug 13th 2014, 8:48 am
Just Joined

darrenreeves is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am trying to move over to canada.
With my partner and all the transport companies
I have contacted are not taking drivers on or dont even
Reply. Obviously cant be that short of long haul drivers
Old Aug 13th 2014, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrenreeves
Well I am trying to move over to canada.
With my partner and all the transport companies
I have contacted are not taking drivers on or dont even
Reply. Obviously cant be that short of long haul drivers
How are you contacting them? If it's just via email, then I'd strongly suggest you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand why you're not getting any replies.

Category:Job Hunting-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Just a quick question as I'm stressing out as so many friends are giving me conflicting information. We are on our first twp which is due to run out in March 2016. My husband has not got his out of province time yet (for pnp) and we was wondering if under the new rules we will be able to extend the work permit for another 2 years. He is only doing ft Mac runs or locals. He hopes to start his out if province in jan for 3 months but due to the backlog of applications in alberta we don't expect to hear anything sbout pnp anytime soon.

Any help would be great x

Last edited by karla03; Dec 14th 2014 at 10:03 pm.