Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

This is likely to affect anybody hoping to head over to Canada on a TWP, so thought I'd post it here too -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...d-fees-837028/

Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice
Default Re: Changes to the Temp Foreign Worker program in Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This is likely to affect anybody hoping to head over to Canada on a TWP, so thought I'd post it here too -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...d-fees-837028/

How's this gonna affect truckers wanting to come over next April /may?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
How's this gonna affect truckers wanting to come over next April /may?
I'm not sure it'll be great tbh, $1000 fee per trucker will be tough for a lot of employers, plus the restrictions on low paid jobs, plus no hiring in areas where unemployment is above 6% etc. My guess is it'll make it much harder for all low or semi-skilled workers, including truckers (hence why I posted it here).

That is just a guess though, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure it'll be great tbh, $1000 fee per trucker will be tough for a lot of employers, plus the restrictions on low paid jobs, plus no hiring in areas where unemployment is above 6% etc. My guess is it'll make it much harder for all low or semi-skilled workers, including truckers (hence why I posted it here).

That is just a guess though, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
No worries for SK bound drivers . $1000 is a tank full of fuel so no big issue , unemployment is under 3% and truckers can command a lot more per hour/mile than is determined in the changes . As you were chaps
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

I am not scared about truckers in SK as well.....
my boss told me that it cost him about 6000 CAD in average to bring UK driver over....next year it will be little bit more.....but he still tryes to get another and another LMOs....

They need drivers....they have got trucks and loads to move....you as a driver will make them a much more money in a very short period of time...
its better for them to pay the fees and bring you here than have truck siting in the yard and pay all monthly payments and maitenence etc....

I think it will affect some jobs in restaurants, cleaners and other low skilled jobs becouse this is where the most of immigrants are coming and now they try to regulate it a bit more...
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

as FTTM and Milanuk say money is no object BUT i recon the biggest problem is the 2yr max stay down from 4yrs ,you will have 2yrs to get PR or its bye bye Canada for iirc 4yrs.
my bud took 20months from arriving to PR and he had all his ducks in a row so not a lot of time to spare if you come over without IELTS ,paperwork etc.
jimmy.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
No worries for SK bound drivers . $1000 is a tank full of fuel so no big issue , unemployment is under 3% and truckers can command a lot more per hour/mile than is determined in the changes . As you were chaps
No worries? So the fact that they'd only get 2 years on a TWP and therefore be very unlikely to get PR before it runs out isn't an issue you think?

I don't know how the low wage cap will affect truck drivers either, not sure what the median wage in SK is or whether truckers wages are above it?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

No worries? So the fact that they'd only get 2 years on a TWP and therefore be very unlikely to get PR before it runs out isn't an issue you think?
so if im understanding this correctly people that have emigrated to Alberta where from what I've heard its taking longer than 2 yrs to get PR are royally s####ed? so wouldn't it pay future immigrants to go to a province where its not taking as long, like mb? and what about flag polling to renew your twp?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by grant r
so if im understanding this correctly people that have emigrated to Alberta where from what I've heard its taking longer than 2 yrs to get PR are royally s####ed? so wouldn't it pay future immigrants to go to a province where its not taking as long, like mb? and what about flag polling to renew your twp?
No, if they've already moved then it won't affect them as it isn't being applied retrospectively, it's only for TWP's going forward.

Not sure why you think MB would be any quicker? You still can't apply until you've worked at least 6 months there, same as SK, and of course the Federal processing time is the same regardless of province.

Re: flagpoling to renew, that won't be possible (well, unless you only had a year, then you could renew for a second year). It used to be Temp Foreign Workers could spend a maximum of 4 years on TWP's, now it's been reduced to 2 years.

HTH.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

i would imagine very few drivers on less than 50k ,would say most around 60-70 and the rest up to100k .
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I think I'm right in saying you don't have to receive your PR in that 2 yrs but have to have the paperwork in for it and they will renew a WP while you're waiting.
That was the case, has it changed ??
I don't think capping is a bad thing, it might make some employers treat the people that work for them now a bit better, knowing they can't just have a revolving door.

Last edited by neilg14; Jun 21st 2014 at 8:15 pm. Reason: added
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how the low wage cap will affect truck drivers either, not sure what the median wage in SK is or whether truckers wages are above it?
Jimmy was right on the button wage wise , and if you can't get your application in within 2 years , why not ? Will make little difference to those that choose to settle here .
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

I think we should wait becouse as you can read this new program is mainly done to avoid abusing of TWP program by food services etc....
there is nothing said against truck drivers...
in my point of view nothing special will happen to trucking companies....maybe it will cost them more to bring you over but....
can you imagine any drivers coming over from foreign state to work here only 2 years and then go back home?
A lot of people sell their homes over in UK and then they move over....I can not imagine they will be sent back to UK after 2 years....

Another point is....in SK once you apply for your PR after six months....you will get your PR nomination by the province....with this nomination I could renew automaticly my Work Permit for another 2 years and during this time I should get my PR....
I have no idea if this is going to change as well but....if not....you still have at least 3 years to get your PR....
I live and work in SK since end of October 2012....and just two months ago I made my last PR payment....I still dont have it but I hope it will come soon....

I read that companies will be forced to have only 10 percent of foreign workers.....this made me lough as well....
if all SK trucking companies have to follow this.....who is going to drive? :-)
In Timeline we have 25 company trucks.....and maybe only 4 of them are driven by Canadians :-)
if my boss has to keep only 2,5 foreign driver he can close the bussiness immadiately :-)

The median wage in SK is nearly 4000 CAD a month....I can make much more...so I am probably not in the low-wage group....

I think now is the time for provinces to react....they need to set the rules better.....

as far as I know....Canadians actually wants us to stay here and settle down....this is the main point of bringing foreiners over.....so what is the point of not leting them get PR?
It doesnt work for anybody.....if somebody comes over....work hard 2 years....save all his money and them move over with that money....he is not going to put the money in the economy and thats not good for the country in my point of view....

they need to make some change to avoid abusing the program...and that is good....
but I wouldnt be scared about trucking jobs becouse.....we all know....they need more and more drivers....
look at the job bank....
if they make it too hard for us to settle down here.....who is going to even try to come over?....nobody....Canada is not the only one country in the world :-)

so dont panic :-)
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Very good post Milan.
Your english is very good too.

Originally Posted by Milanuk
I think we should wait becouse as you can read this new program is mainly done to avoid abusing of TWP program by food services etc....
there is nothing said against truck drivers...
in my point of view nothing special will happen to trucking companies....maybe it will cost them more to bring you over but....
can you imagine any drivers coming over from foreign state to work here only 2 years and then go back home?
A lot of people sell their homes over in UK and then they move over....I can not imagine they will be sent back to UK after 2 years....

Another point is....in SK once you apply for your PR after six months....you will get your PR nomination by the province....with this nomination I could renew automaticly my Work Permit for another 2 years and during this time I should get my PR....
I have no idea if this is going to change as well but....if not....you still have at least 3 years to get your PR....
I live and work in SK since end of October 2012....and just two months ago I made my last PR payment....I still dont have it but I hope it will come soon....

I read that companies will be forced to have only 10 percent of foreign workers.....this made me lough as well....
if all SK trucking companies have to follow this.....who is going to drive? :-)
In Timeline we have 25 company trucks.....and maybe only 4 of them are driven by Canadians :-)
if my boss has to keep only 2,5 foreign driver he can close the bussiness immadiately :-)

The median wage in SK is nearly 4000 CAD a month....I can make much more...so I am probably not in the low-wage group....

I think now is the time for provinces to react....they need to set the rules better.....

as far as I know....Canadians actually wants us to stay here and settle down....this is the main point of bringing foreiners over.....so what is the point of not leting them get PR?
It doesnt work for anybody.....if somebody comes over....work hard 2 years....save all his money and them move over with that money....he is not going to put the money in the economy and thats not good for the country in my point of view....

they need to make some change to avoid abusing the program...and that is good....
but I wouldnt be scared about trucking jobs becouse.....we all know....they need more and more drivers....
look at the job bank....
if they make it too hard for us to settle down here.....who is going to even try to come over?....nobody....Canada is not the only one country in the world :-)

so dont panic :-)
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:28 am
Just Joined

rednaxela is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you have a PNP application in process you have implied status to continue working even after the TWP expires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.