Which Cell phone?????

Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Cell phone?????

Ok guys brain picking time again.

Looking for a cheap pay as you go cellphone for Canada, at the moment waiting for Orange to send my code to unlock my UK Sony Ericsson. Don't want to keep using it too bloody expensive.

Can you just by the PAYG sim cards here? Or do you have to buy a phone as well?

Been on the web but just a mine field, will have very limited use at first, mainly to call my mate over in Alberta and some local calls to my new workmates.

Would appriciate your help on this one.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 8th 2009, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Cell phone?????

Originally Posted by taff trucker

Looking for a cheap pay as you go cellphone for Canada, at the moment waiting for Orange to send my code to unlock my UK Sony Ericsson. Don't want to keep using it too bloody expensive.

Been on the web but just a mine field, will have very limited use at first, mainly to call my mate over in Alberta and some local calls to my new workmates.

Cheers
Steve
it sure is a mine field and thier fees vary alot i got the cheepest phone i could find but now iv moved area it is even more expensive and just check ur call plan as i got nailed when i used it in states $50 bucks didnt last long at all.
and be aware ul prob get charged to recieve calls and sometimes text messages im now at a point come monday morning im getting a contract. which is a darn sight cheaper than trying to stop and buy credit. i tried getting just a sim but what ever reason getting a phone was as cheap or they didnt do it. rogers sasktel mts bell but depends on what area ur going to be calling and from where. as some of ur co workers what network they are on and what plan. best of luck
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Steve,

I use Koodo Mobile. I use it for calling home and you can add the package to include your 5 fav numbers which you can call free of charge anywhere in "CANADA" only NOT the USA.

It costs me $35 a month and has saved me a lot of money.

I was having trouble setting up my voicemail and couldn't find out where to change the setting so I knew who was calling me even though their number was in my phonebook. I called Customer Services "Oh they will cost you $6 each to add to your account Sir" You WHAT I said you have to pay to have voicemail on your account....BLOODY HELL, she just laughed.

Once in the USA I use the Presidents choice calling card you get from Atlantic Superstore. It costs 3.4c a min and we also use these to call home to the UK as it works out far cheaper. I had a $20 one for 3 months before topping it up again.

My OH has Rogers as she has a top of the range LG phone and wanted her Gucci toy to work here. Rogers are the only ones which use sim cards the others like Telus have the chip built inside the phone.

The cell phone system here is "TOTAL SH1TE" they are about 15years behind europe and it is a complete rip off, paying for incoming calls and text what a crock of crap that went out years ago in the UK... but if you want to live in Canada then you just gotta suck it up and of course if you want a cell phone, it is amazing though how you can revert back to living without one though.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Nov 8th 2009 at 11:09 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:30 am
Just Joined

branstonboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Steve
You guys are pretty much on the money with those comments, depends where you are, where you want to call etc etc.
I had a cheap Virgin PAYG for a start and it was OK but I rarely made calls with it, just texting including back to the UK. Once I was committed here I got a Rogers contract phone which was fine while I was based in Alberta with a few add ons like MY5 (friends and family type of affair). Again it would also text back to the UK. Now I am back running the US again so I have a Verizon PAYG phone just for use in the US. Personally I only give this number to the wife and need to know people as it does get confusing having 2 numbers but it does work well for me. This is because all my friends running the US have verizon phones and we can talk unlimited for 99c/day. If we dont use it, we dont get charged. I can text as cheap as anybody and it will text to the UK (not whateverybody wants but it is useful and I mention this as some networks dont support International Texting) I also believe Verizon is the best US network for coverage. I also found Verizon to be the easiest to register down there, only needing a zip code to determine the cell number.
Just to add to the calling cards, yes, for calling from payphones the Presidents choice card is without a doubt the best but for calling from regular landlines ie Hotels, friends houses etc you absolutly cannot beat a $20 Liberty card. It has no connection fees and is dirt cheap. I dont need to use one anymore so I forget the specifics but it was the best! However, I did use it through a payphone a couple of times and it didnt last so long on there.
As was stated earlier, there are no easy or cheap solutions to communications on this continent!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:50 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

I always choose the blue cellphone as it matches most of my clothes.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koogar
I always choose the blue cellphone as it matches most of my clothes.
Mine would have to be red. Not that all my clothes are red mind you.

I call home to family and friends via Skype, and have a $20 Presidents Choice card so that saves me a fortune. Think I might take a trip to Charlottetown soon and have a look around.

Can you haggle and barter a deal here in Canada on the plans or are they set in stone? Anyone tried?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Mine would have to be red. Not that all my clothes are red mind you.

I call home to family and friends via Skype, and have a $20 Presidents Choice card so that saves me a fortune. Think I might take a trip to Charlottetown soon and have a look around.

Can you haggle and barter a deal here in Canada on the plans or are they set in stone? Anyone tried?
They are not that culturally advanced so the concept of bartering is totally unknown in Charlottetown now Winnipeg they will barter ya pants off
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
They are not that culturally advanced so the concept of bartering is totally unknown in Charlottetown now Winnipeg they will barter ya pants off
Well Graham, I'm going to put your theory to the test tomorrow in Charlottetown.

By the way are all shop owners in Winnipeg from North Africa and the Middle East?
Old Nov 14th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Any joy then today mate...
Old Nov 14th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Any joy then today mate...
Hi Dave,

Yep got a cell phone, best deal - Wall Mart, walked out with a Rogers phone, sim card, the charger and $10 credit for $68.00. Had been to the Rogers, tellus, bell stores and they were wanting me to put a minimum of $50- $100 credit on a phone and then charge me nearly $100 to buy the phone!

Told them it was only for minimul use at first and that kind of credit would never be used within the specified time limits.

Will PM you the number when I get it set up later, waiting for my Pizza to be delivered, i'm starving after all that walking today.

Hope everything is ok with you.
Steve
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branstonboy
I had a cheap Virgin PAYG for a start and it was OK but I rarely made calls with it, just texting including back to the UK.
Sorry to butt in here, but I was interested to read this branstonboy - I also have a Virgin PAYG and because the silly thing won't even work over the US border, let alone being able to phone the UK, I assumed texts would not work either. Not that I have tried to text anyone in the UK, but from what you are saying, I probably could?

And if anyone can text me back, I assume I pay for that too

Will give it a go (when it's not 2am their time ).