British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Car Hire and local weather pls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/car-hire-local-weather-pls-586105/)

scooby109 Jan 21st 2009 7:41 pm

Car Hire and local weather pls

Hi Guys and Gals

Arriving in Calgary morrow afternoon at 16.00... Do i hire a car for £250.00CSD ,Pontiac G6, Chrysler PT Cruizer or similar, for the week or pay westjet $500.00 csd for a return flight!!!!!!! Ok I know the flights are a rip off!!! Oh BTW whats the best sort car to rent for this time of year??

Does anyone have an idea of the predicted road conditions between Calgary and Saskatoon for morrow late afternoon/evening.. no point in spoiling the trip by getting stuck on the road is there... Weather forecast for Sas is light flurries.

Anyway you lot know what I am asking so

Staying in Sas till monday pm, then its back to Alberta for me for more interviews etc etc

Scooby

farjojo71 Jan 21st 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Car Hire and local weather pls

No idea bout the car etc but good luck in Canada Scooby.

Have fun!! :D

spockil Jan 21st 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by farjojo71 (Post 7197561)
No idea bout the car etc but good luck in Canada Scooby.

Have fun!! :D

book car hire through uk website then it should be cheaper. as for type of car depends how competent u are on the slick stuff but remember if there is moisture on the road it will be ice but when i was out there most of the roads where clear.
and good luck with all ur interviews

scooby109 Jan 21st 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by spockil (Post 7197686)
book car hire through uk website then it should be cheaper. as for type of car depends how competent u are on the slick stuff but remember if there is moisture on the road it will be ice but when i was out there most of the roads where clear.
and good luck with all ur interviews

thanks you 2

Not afraid of the black slippery stuff, more concerned about potential bad weather, apparently it's a 7 hour drive on single track roads or at least that the directions I have... via drumheller that is

spockil Jan 21st 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by scooby109 (Post 7197701)
thanks you 2

Not afraid of the black slippery stuff, more concerned about potential bad weather, apparently it's a 7 hour drive on single track roads or at least that the directions I have... via drumheller that is

what they class as single track road is like a single carriageway but it has big medians on both sides and sometimes in middle normal speed about 60 mph or 100 kph if you imagine the a 9 to inverness where it is single carriageway but it will be alot more straight ul be glad to get a curve for some excitment.
just keep an eye on the wether channel and the likes. and watch for the idiots flying past when its a white out!

scooby109 Jan 21st 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by spockil (Post 7197794)
what they class as single track road is like a single carriageway but it has big medians on both sides and sometimes in middle normal speed about 60 mph or 100 kph if you imagine the a 9 to inverness where it is single carriageway but it will be alot more straight ul be glad to get a curve for some excitment.
just keep an eye on the wether channel and the likes. and watch for the idiots flying past when its a white out!

If it ends up in a white out, I am gonna park up and wait for the mounties lol lol I need to be in sas by lunchtime fri so no way am i rushing the journey, nice and easy..

oh bugger did you have to remind me of the A9!!! lol lol cheers spokil

Damn shame I have to drive that way in the dark.

scooby109 Jan 21st 2009 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by scooby109 (Post 7197821)
If it ends up in a white out, I am gonna park up and wait for the mounties lol lol I need to be in sas by lunchtime fri so no way am i rushing the journey, nice and easy..

oh bugger did you have to remind me of the A9!!! lol lol cheers spokil

Damn shame I have to drive that way in the dark.

ps aint decided on taking the lappy yet, might be easier to just pay the cafes a couple of bucks... but keep looking I may just start a blog of the trip tee hee

bigwheels241 Jan 21st 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by scooby109 (Post 7197425)
Hi Guys and Gals

Arriving in Calgary morrow afternoon at 16.00... Do i hire a car for £250.00CSD ,Pontiac G6, Chrysler PT Cruizer or similar, for the week or pay westjet $500.00 csd for a return flight!!!!!!! Ok I know the flights are a rip off!!! Oh BTW whats the best sort car to rent for this time of year??

Does anyone have an idea of the predicted road conditions between Calgary and Saskatoon for morrow late afternoon/evening.. no point in spoiling the trip by getting stuck on the road is there... Weather forecast for Sas is light flurries.

Staying in Sas till monday pm, then its back to Alberta for me for more interviews etc etc

Scooby

Weather for Thursday -6°C | -17°C

Now I would only book a car if they throw in

1x Electric blanket to keep my ass warm
Ugg Boots
Gloves
Scarf
Thermo underware

and a bottle of Scotch to warm up the belly. :eek:

as max of -6°C | and min of -17°C is not what I call warm enough without the above:p

Fridays warmer.....-11°C | -22°C :rofl:

koogar Jan 21st 2009 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by scooby109 (Post 7197701)
thanks you 2

Watch out for dinosaurs!!! :unsure:

vickysteve Jan 21st 2009 9:49 pm

sorry to give you some bad news but the weather here in Saskatoon is getting worse for tommorrow they say -15 fog freezing rain and snow have fun on the roads.

Originally Posted by scooby109 (Post 7197425)
Hi Guys and Gals

Scooby

dinger24 Jan 21st 2009 10:17 pm

The A9 isnt a very good comparison? I know the Highway from Calgary to med hat and I would have described it more like the A1 but straighter with no bends :rofl:, less hills if any and every one has stopped driving for the day!
7hrs to Sas?
Dont quote me but I and sure that the Ramada etc motels/hotels have free internet (so long as it is not over 18 stuff!:eek:)
The main things are keep safe and take it easy! All the best in the interviews and if you cant tell us how its going out there then dont worry but give us full report once your back!:thumbup:

koogar Jan 21st 2009 10:29 pm

The super 8 on circle drive in Saskatoon used to have free internet.
They also used to have special rates for Kindersley people. Maybe if you say you're in town for Kindersley, you might get them. That's a maybe :)
It's also only a 3 or 4 minute drive from there to Wentz ave and there's a subway on the next block, a chinese buffet kinda place next door and a couple of decent bars not too far away. (David's lizard lounge on circle drive and the fox & hounds? on warman rd).

dinger24 Jan 21st 2009 10:33 pm

Hmmm Subway Hmmmmm
Hmmm bars Hmmmmm
Hmmmm Strip joints Hmmmm! Ops you didnt mention that did you . . . . .
Aw well Hmmmmm Strip joints Hmmmmm:rofl:

jamesmc Jan 22nd 2009 12:21 am

chinnese buffet in saskatoon was very good,dont know about the booze though,was used as a taxi truck by senior drivers when wkened before xmas.
lol,james

Gremmie Jan 22nd 2009 6:50 pm

Why fly to calgary:confused: you fly over Sas toon ask the pilot if he,ll just drop you off:rofl::rofl:

Re- hotels allways say you are a truck driver, and 9 times out of 10 you,ll get the cheaper rate:thumbup: