Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

canadian truck driving help needed

canadian truck driving help needed

Old Dec 24th 2011, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

stuart8404 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian truck driving help needed

hi hopefully coming over in around may to suss things out regards jobs as a trucker and need some info. firstly when looking for a truck job are long haul truck vacancies the only jobs they will let you take or can you go for class 2 as it is over here? the main reason i ask this is that i have a 3 year old and although we are desperate to get over there i still dont want to miss out on her growing up by being away all the time, and yes i know a few are going to say you have to make sacrifices and i understand that but i was just wondering if there was any way round it. I will do the long haul if i need to. secondly if i come over and find another type of job be it not trucking what are the chances of being accepted for pr ? thirdly with not knowing the country i have not got a clue to where would be best to find a job and enjoy a decent way of life be it vancouver for the better weather ontario and montreal for cheaper housing i dont have a clue about any of this and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian truck driving help needed

Assuming (?) that you'll want to come over on the PNP system like the majority who use this forum then it'll be longhaul for you matey,for however long it takes you to obtain P.R.
Looking for other work isn't an option until that stage as the terms of your visa would be void.
Forget Alberta,takes too long,don't think Ontario is on the scheme yet,East coast is cheap but reflected in the wages,BC are recruiting but preference is being given to Mexicans East Indians and Russians(yes I know),so Manitoba or Saskatchewan are your best bets,but it's your choice.
I will always fly the flag for SK,we are now the booming Province with stacks of work,and literally billions being invested into the place,50 billion for Potash in the next 10 years,top grade oil reserves larger the Saudi,plus the diamond and uranium mines.
Hope you can handle the cold weather .
Old Dec 25th 2011, 7:43 am
Just Joined

stuart8404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Assuming (?) that you'll want to come over on the PNP system like the majority who use this forum then it'll be longhaul for you matey,for however long it takes you to obtain P.R.
Looking for other work isn't an option until that stage as the terms of your visa would be void.
Forget Alberta,takes too long,don't think Ontario is on the scheme yet,East coast is cheap but reflected in the wages,BC are recruiting but preference is being given to Mexicans East Indians and Russians(yes I know),so Manitoba or Saskatchewan are your best bets,but it's your choice.
I will always fly the flag for SK,we are now the booming Province with stacks of work,and literally billions being invested into the place,50 billion for Potash in the next 10 years,top grade oil reserves larger the Saudi,plus the diamond and uranium mines.
cheers for all that mate much appreciated
Old Dec 25th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

What cold weather? lol It seems to have gone away doesn't it?
Old Dec 25th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

aye the weather really nice,but my last few loads o ready mix were poured at -27c wi the windchill not good at all. lol
thank goodness the seasons finished.and i can take some hols ..
merry christmas and a good new yr to all.
jimmy and family.ex dumfriesshire scotland.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

Saskatchewan seems to be doing well at the moment. All the LCV work seems to use Regina as a hub and they are crying out for Turnpike-Double drivers. At 50 cpm its good money with plenty of home time; doing 4 on- 4off.
I'd be bored to tears but at least at Regina, you have 3 directions of travel as opposed to 1 out of Winnipeg.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe don't dismiss Alberta so quickly as the AINP have speeded up at the moment....no idea how long that will last though. It took us 11.5 months to get our certificate (March 2010-March 2011) but my friends have just got theirs the week before Christmas and it took 40 days!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Maybe don't dismiss Alberta so quickly as the AINP have speeded up at the moment....no idea how long that will last though. It took us 11.5 months to get our certificate (March 2010-March 2011) but my friends have just got theirs the week before Christmas and it took 40 days!!
40 days, start to finish?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
40 days, start to finish?
It was 40 days from them applying to AINP to them receiving their nomination certificate. They have now started the PR process part.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

It was 40 days from them applying to AINP to them receiving their nomination certificate. They have now started the PR process part.
Is that through VRV, H&R, or do they work elswhere?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickfly
Is that through VRV, H&R, or do they work elswhere?
VRV & H&R
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

So it wasn't 40 days start to FINISH !! Now their long wait begins....
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

It was 40 days start to finish with the AINP which is what I originally stated.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

kitkatb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys ,

Not trying to hijack Stuarts thread ...but? can I be a pain and ask you to put it in plain English ? Im in a similiar boat /except I ve never worked professionally as a Truck Driver as bizarre as that sounds , I ve held Class 1 for 11 years , driven pretty much everything / once took a Tank through a Maccy D's drive through in Iraq ,Im single , 44 , and want to work in Canada ! whats whats and what are the odds of landing a Job earning good money /

I understand that Ill probably need to retake a HGV licence etc , I believe that I can get a visa in 6 weeks .../temp ,short term one ,I ve read threads about certain places being quite etc and Im aware that Canada is a pretty big country , so what goes in one part ...need not apply to the other side .Id like to get into the mines as it opens the door world wide and seems to be the only Industry on the up (Ive 24 years in Construction) and I speak some french (spent the last 8 months in Belgium) .

So ....my Question ..apologies Stuart /but Im hoping its in the same vein ? If you guys were me / what would you do and how ?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

FTTM if only they knew but they know better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.