Canadian AZ licence

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

StanF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian AZ licence

Hey, I'm going to be visiting friends Calgary for a wedding this october. I've booked myself a bit extra to make a bit of a holiday out of it, roughly 7 weeks.

What are the chances of sitting an artic test while I'm over there? Do things move quickly in that regard? I have a full Irish car, rigid and artic licence. What are the requirements for a tourist sitting a test?

Also if I got the alberta licence does it transfer to other provinces when looking for a job or do you need a province specific licence?

Thanks
Stan
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian AZ licence

I think you are going to have to take your car test first, in Alberta they do not do a swap for an Irish licence like they do for an English one, it's possible to do it all in 7 weeks but they'll take your Irish licences to give you a Canadian one after you've passed your tests.
You can't hold 2 licences in AB.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks neil

Is that going to be the case Canada wide that I need to take a car test first even though I hold a full artic licence here. Also I'm going to need my licence back here for work up until about march when I hope to head over to Canada again.

Is there any province which I can sit my AZ test without having to go through doing the car test first. Which province would be the quickest for getting this done in a short time?

Thanks again
Stan
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, don't know about other provinces, plenty of drivers on here can tell you about them.
In Alberta when they take your licence and give you a Canadian one, they send your Irish licence back to the Irish equavalent of the DVLA.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

sask wanted to take my license but my driving instructer told me not to let them. they only validated canadian license after i passed truck test.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

willf is an unknown quantity at this point

PEI give you a car licence, but take your Irish licence and send it back.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by willf
PEI give you a car licence, but take your Irish licence and send it back.

As a straight swap without having to sit a car test? So i take it in that province I could apply for my AZ test fairly quick once I have swapped my car licence? What sort of residential setup would I need. Like could I do all this without bills and stuff in my name, on a tourist visa?

Also, what happens when they send it back here. Is it then posted back to my home address?

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by StanF
As a straight swap without having to sit a car test? So i take it in that province I could apply for my AZ test fairly quick once I have swapped my car licence? What sort of residential setup would I need. Like could I do all this without bills and stuff in my name, on a tourist visa?

Also, what happens when they send it back here. Is it then posted back to my home address?

Thanks

Quite simple to sort out,
before you go over tell the Irish licence people you have lost your licence, pay the money to get a replacement and when in Canada give their licence people your OLD one,
simples!!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

No Stan, Irish DVLA keep it.
What happens if Stan does what Bigtruck says then goes home, drives on replacement licence, gets pulled by plod who checks licence on his computer with Irish DVLA to find out Stan has apparently lost his, only for it to arrive from Canada. Is that not fraud ? or some other offence ?
Be easier just to apply again in Ireland for his licence back because there he will probably have no problem holding 2 licences, unlike Alberta.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

You cannot hold a Canadian and a [British or as far as I know Irish] licence at the same time. Wether you work a fiddle so that you are physically holding a copy of both documents is completely irelevant and probably illegal. The relevant licensing authorities know which license is valid and which is not.
Also you need a valid Canadian address to go on the said license and in order to obtain a provisional CDL you have to explain your status in Canada.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Wouldn't it be better idea if the Irish license is not exchangeable to just keep it and not tell them you have it?,
If it's not exchangeable anyway just do the Canadian truck test...
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Regards the car licence ,,i have read of people getting /using ( friend etc)uk addresss and transfering eire- uk licence .
just saying like.
jimmy
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Regards the car licence ,,i have read of people getting /using ( friend etc)uk addresss and transfering eire- uk licence .
just saying like.
jimmy
you will lose it either way even if you change it for a uk licence you can only hold one driving licence over here and a class 1 uk licence will only give you a car licence over here but you also need a canadian address and i was asked for a social insurance number when i flipped mine