BTD and city driving?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: BTD and city driving?

Originally Posted by Gremmie
BT came over some years ago and did the Harvest work in the US for 1 season. This has made him a self proclaimed expert on all trucking matters in NA He some years ago thought ( assuming this ding bat can actually think) about coming to Canada, but was put off by the idea of having to actually work for a living, plus a few hard luck sob stories from a few losers about 1 or 2 not so good companies has made him the biggest cynic on the subject. In short he is a bored agency driver that wishes he could play with the big boys in the NA trucking industry, but hasn't the balls to get up and do some thing about his pathetic life in NI.

You obviously are VERY busy running that big FIVE truck trucking company that you can spend so much time on the net.
Most O/D's here can run one the same size from the seat of the truck!!!
You work away in your exciting office job as it must really be buzzing there!!

I will stick with the "bored agency" work and my "pathetic life" (you found spell checker then?) here in NI as I positively couldn't hack the social scene in Niverville Manitoba!!!!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Sep 1st 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
You obviously are VERY busy running that big FIVE truck trucking company that you can spend so much time on the net.
Most O/D's here can run one the same size from the seat of the truck!!!
You work away in your exciting office job as it must really be buzzing there!!

I will stick with the "bored agency" work and my "pathetic life" (you found spell checker then?) here in NI as I positively couldn't hack the social scene in Niverville Manitoba!!!!!!!
Dont spend much time on here, only takes 5 mins to shut you up, and yes our fleet is small but I also dispatch 12 O/O's plus broker loads all around North America, and do all the customs border crossings for them.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:35 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

At the sake of repeating myself for maybe the twentieth time:

I have nothing whatsoever against Canada or the ex-pat UK guys who successfully moved over and are working/living there and wish them all the best for the future.

I myself did consider trucking in Canada (contary to what some think) a few years ago but was NOT interested in long haul at all and to me considering the VERY few trucking companies who offered short haul was completely opposite and too risky to what the imigration rules on PNP were.

BUT,

anybody on here who has any sense has to agree with me that the "meat in the seat" trucking companies who come back to Europe year after year with armfulls of LMO's have NEVER been challenged by the "powers that be" in Canada.
so you looked at it and decided against it, fair enough its not something that would suit everyone. Why do you come on here then youre obviously not an expat and not someone who needs info on becoming one. Why do the power that be need to look at the 'meat in the seat 'companies ? Are they actually doing anything wrong ? Ok so they might not be the best firms to work for and they probably treat you like shit but there are plenty of firms like that here in the UK. If people want to move to Canada that much and its the only way they can get here then where is the problem. If they look into it and know what they're getting into and are willing to go through the crap to get their pr then good luck to them. I dont suppose everyone manages it and im sure there are plenty who come back but they gave it a go and good on them, but on the other hand im sure there is plenty who manage and have made a damn good life from it. Im one of the lucky ones who doesnt have to go through all this to get to Canada as i have already got my pr through family sponsership but many people dont have that option. Im sorry my friend but ive read some of your posts and in my opinion it sounds like maybe youre just a little bit jealous
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
so you looked at it and decided against it, fair enough its not something that would suit everyone. Why do you come on here then youre obviously not an expat and not someone who needs info on becoming one. Why do the power that be need to look at the 'meat in the seat 'companies ? Are they actually doing anything wrong ? Ok so they might not be the best firms to work for and they probably treat you like shit but there are plenty of firms like that here in the UK. If people want to move to Canada that much and its the only way they can get here then where is the problem. If they look into it and know what they're getting into and are willing to go through the crap to get their pr then good luck to them. I dont suppose everyone manages it and im sure there are plenty who come back but they gave it a go and good on them, but on the other hand im sure there is plenty who manage and have made a damn good life from it. Im one of the lucky ones who doesnt have to go through all this to get to Canada as i have already got my pr through family sponsership but many people dont have that option. Im sorry my friend but ive read some of your posts and in my opinion it sounds like maybe youre just a little bit jealous
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

So now he deletes posts that have already been quoted from

And now he tells us he is working nights for less than £100

Bit strange when not so long ago he was telling us he did four on four off for 45K

Arnie is hit the nail with one word .... JEALOUSLY

And he forgets that anyone of us that made the move can equally go back in the opposite direction , and with current exchange rates have money in our Pocket to boot . But no we choose to live in the frozen north because we want to , not because we have to . Unlike BT
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobthedog
It doesn't matter..

Not too bad, all things considered, thanks. The city is much the same as any other city really.. Same number of idiots trying to fill every gap.

But I am pretty used to it now. I know the routes to avoid and the times of day to avoid them. I have got to know my way around the city pretty well now so can detour bridges and things.

I also got to do the winter roads so I actually lost far less on the average than I thought I would. I earned damned good money for this firm as they pay 25% of revenue.

And my hourly rate is probably higher than most local jobs in the UK, and I get 1.5 for after 9 hours. I also get the same rate on waiting time and on yard work, which I usually have at least one day a week doing.

My truck, well the firm bought it new in ..... erm...... 1999. It is old and tired but has a sleeper. It is the same one I took up north. I have to say that I trust it anywhere now. I still prefer standards to autos.. That is just a personal taste thing.

And I get good variety too. I usually go into MN or ND once a week or more. I do deck and van so can go anywhere. I got to go up to Northern Manitoba last week, so I took Junior with me, and I should be going to Edmonton this week. It is the school holiday so I will take what is offered.

Yes, I think it suits me pretty well. I like being home at night now with the shower and bathroom right next door. I can't see me going back to OTR when the boy is old enough to fend for himself, but I won't say never because that isn't my style.

Thanks for asking
There we go,back on the topic !!! Now children...................
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33

And now he tells us he is working nights for less than £100

Bit strange when not so long ago he was telling us he did four on four off for 45K

Arnie is hit the nail with one word .... JEALOUSLY
£96 for 8.5hours and didn't even drive for more than three hours will do me dead on.

4on/4off(and £45k for the last 22yrs) finished on 31st March, just happily lifting my £2500 "retraining" money til the big lump sum redundancy money arrives in January.
(THREE court cases currently pending involving over SEVENTY work colleagues ref above so its not over "til the fat lady sings".)

Reckon I can bring in £500/week on agency and wife adds £1000/month working part-time, so with no mortgage and £3000/month to spend me thinks the "life of Reilly" will continue for a few years yet!!!

Been away since April on seven long weekends and a week long break with the mates families in our wee private caravan club(too much beer+Barbee's) and off to Turkey for a week 4* all inclusive end of the month.

Me, jealous?
Catch yourself on!!!!!!

At least I've stopped all youse "numpties" arguing amongst yourselves!!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arniedog
Why do the power that be need to look at the 'meat in the seat 'companies ? Are they actually doing anything wrong ?
Your kidding right?!!!!
Are you a trucking company recruiter by any chance?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

£96 for 8.5hours and didn't even drive for more than three hours will do me dead on.

4on/4off(and £45k for the last 22yrs) finished on 31st March, just happily lifting my £2500 "retraining" money til the big lump sum redundancy money arrives in January.
(THREE court cases currently pending involving over SEVENTY work colleagues ref above so its not over "til the fat lady sings".)

Reckon I can bring in £500/week on agency and wife adds £1000/month working part-time, so with no mortgage and £3000/month to spend me thinks the "life of Reilly" will continue for a few years yet!!!

Been away since April on seven long weekends and a week long break with the mates families in our wee private caravan club(too much beer+Barbee's) and off to Turkey for a week 4* all inclusive end of the month.

Me, jealous?
Catch yourself on!!!!!!

At least I've stopped all youse "numpties" arguing amongst yourselves!!
Ooooh mummy tell us another story, please mummy
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Ooooh mummy tell us another story, please mummy
Busy day@ the trucking company again?!!!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Busy day@ the trucking company again?!!!!!!!
Only 07.40am dont start until 08.00am, and as I work from home I can come and go as I please
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:40 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Your kidding right?!!!!
Are you a trucking company recruiter by any chance?
ok then , please enlighten me on the laws they are breaking by doing what they are doing ? Dont get me wrong i dont agree in anyway with what they do , my only experiance is what i read from others so ive no first hand experiance of these companies. Right or wrong there companies are giving people a chance to move to another country and hopefully have a better life , whats the difference between what they are doing and what many hauliers and farmers did to the polish 10 or so years ago . Ive heard terrible stories (and i know one company that did it too ) of poles coming to England for a better life only to work 6 days a week for £200 then live in a caravan in a farmers field and the farmer charges them £30 a week for rent. So come on bt , as ive already said please tell me what laws these firms are breaking
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Turkey Ehh ? Wow - Wish I was going to Turkey
Such a shame I have to holiday in places like Yellowstone - Osoyoos (Google it )- Vancouver Island - Okanagan and not to mention the yearly fishing trip on the Fraser River for giant Sturgeon plus spend long weekends in National parks ie Banff - Waterton - Kootenay -Lake Louise etc

And why do you think anyone is actually interested in your personal finances ? You must be pretty insecure to disclose such information to complete strangers on a public forum BECAUSE NOBODY GIVES A SHIT !!
You seem to spend all your time trying to justify your reasons for staying in NI to us. When really its YOU you are trying to justify them to.

So move along agency driver .. Nothing more to see here

Last edited by kb33; Sep 2nd 2011 at 3:08 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

all i can say is that agency men coming into our place are like everyone else here in n.ireland, they are finding it tough and virtually everyone of them is looking a start with us so they can be in a fulltime job, and thats on an average wage. in places like the supermarket companies they are getting restricted hours and struggling to get a full week. we even have men in who have done the weeks out in the uk for dhl and are still looking a start with us. somehow it dosent seem to be all that its cracked up to be.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karron
all i can say is that agency men coming into our place are like everyone else here in n.ireland, they are finding it tough and virtually everyone of them is looking a start with us so they can be in a fulltime job, and thats on an average wage. in places like the supermarket companies they are getting restricted hours and struggling to get a full week. we even have men in who have done the weeks out in the uk for dhl and are still looking a start with us. somehow it dosent seem to be all that its cracked up to be.
And who is this marvelous "Us"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.