BTD and city driving?

Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default BTD and city driving?

Rob,

how are you finding adapting to city driving?

Remember you used to give me some banter about only being able to drive about Northern Ireland when I was@ the quarry work were as you were enjoying OTR around NA!!

They don't have you in one of those silly/tiny/cramped daycabbed tractors do they?

If so bet you wouldn't half mind my 6x2 Merc Axor low roof sleeper power-shift box for your city work?
Great truck for that type of work, keep her in full auto when loaded then flick to manual and change gear with the little front paddle with your index finger.
Plenty of room to stretch out and into the bunk for a kip(night heater on) when on break if needed.

Most shifts 8/10 hours and rarely go over 4.5hours driving(unload with electric pallet trucks or roller cages) and £100+ per shift in the bank each one.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTD and city driving?

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Rob,

how are you finding adapting to city driving?

Remember you used to give me some banter about only being able to drive about Northern Ireland when I was@ the quarry work were as you were enjoying OTR around NA!!

They don't have you in one of those silly/tiny/cramped daycabbed tractors do they?

If so bet you wouldn't half mind my 6x2 Merc Axor low roof sleeper power-shift box for your city work?
Great truck for that type of work, keep her in full auto when loaded then flick to manual and change gear with the little front paddle with your index finger.
Plenty of room to stretch out and into the bunk for a kip(night heater on) when on break if needed.

Most shifts 8/10 hours and rarely go over 4.5hours driving(unload with electric pallet trucks or roller cages) and £100+ per shift in the bank each one.
You really have no idea at all do you BT
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Why hasn't he sent this as a PM ??
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

It doesn't matter..

Not too bad, all things considered, thanks. The city is much the same as any other city really.. Same number of idiots trying to fill every gap.

But I am pretty used to it now. I know the routes to avoid and the times of day to avoid them. I have got to know my way around the city pretty well now so can detour bridges and things.

I also got to do the winter roads so I actually lost far less on the average than I thought I would. I earned damned good money for this firm as they pay 25% of revenue.

And my hourly rate is probably higher than most local jobs in the UK, and I get 1.5 for after 9 hours. I also get the same rate on waiting time and on yard work, which I usually have at least one day a week doing.

My truck, well the firm bought it new in ..... erm...... 1999. It is old and tired but has a sleeper. It is the same one I took up north. I have to say that I trust it anywhere now. I still prefer standards to autos.. That is just a personal taste thing.

And I get good variety too. I usually go into MN or ND once a week or more. I do deck and van so can go anywhere. I got to go up to Northern Manitoba last week, so I took Junior with me, and I should be going to Edmonton this week. It is the school holiday so I will take what is offered.

Yes, I think it suits me pretty well. I like being home at night now with the shower and bathroom right next door. I can't see me going back to OTR when the boy is old enough to fend for himself, but I won't say never because that isn't my style.

Thanks for asking
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Very good glad its working out after what you have been through.

You see the old "boring" day jobs are not so bad after all, certainly beats having to take a binbag and baby wipes into the back of the trailer(or your big sleepers) for a S_H_I_T_E when stuck in some god-for-sake-in delivery point anywhere when tramping or OTR!!!!!!!!

Shame about the truck though and trust me a week in the Merc with the Powershift box and you'll be a convert!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Aug 9th 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You really have no idea at all do you BT

Once a knob always a KNOB!!!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

I doubt it.. This truck is fine really for what I need.. I can get a kip in the day when I am loading or whatever.. All is good.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobthedog
I doubt it.. This truck is fine really for what I need.. I can get a kip in the day when I am loading or whatever.. All is good.
Its not one similar to this is it:
http://mickbarbarasnorthamericantour.blogspot.com/

Where the hell do you put your "piecebox" in that bloody thing?!!!!!!!

Wonder what would be said back here if you handed somebody the keys to that for their dayjob!!!!!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Should get MF to read their blog,they seemed happy working for Hit and Run
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
If you read near the bottom of the page :

Also we have been accepted for Permanant Residency by Buffalo, and we're expecting our PR cards anytime now. We have no intentions to leave H&R just yet, as we have a good run, new truck, good money and a regular routine.

Its official, we are no longer working for H&R.

Back on topic I now drive a 6 year old Stirling (day cab ) with a 35ft tandem fuel trailer and woudn't swap the combo for any fancy new truck with all the emmissions crap they have to fit these days . And I have driven just about every make of truck over here , There all crap !! Although the new International Lone Star I drove to Whitehorse last year was very nice. But still had plenty of shortcomings for a modern truck .
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33

Back on topic I now drive a 6 year old Stirling (day cab ) with a 35ft tandem fuel trailer and woudn't swap the combo for any fancy new truck with all the emmissions crap they have to fit these days . And I have driven just about every make of truck over here , There all crap !! Although the new International Lone Star I drove to Whitehorse last year was very nice. But still had plenty of shortcomings for a modern truck .
You want my nice Merc Axor 400hp 6x2 low roof sleeper cab/powershift box then?

Clocked on last night 9pm and sat watching TV and drinking free coffee til
11pm when load was ready.
Approx 80mile up to Sainsburys store in Derry and tipped load
(electric pallet truck)and back down with an empty trailer.
Pulled off into Layby@Toome 315am nightheater on into bunk and woke up@ 415am, down to Belfast drop trailer clock out 530am and home in bed 6am with £93.50 in bank.
Out of bed 11am rest of the day my own.

Happy days!!!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
I just had to copy this quoter from the Blogger.. "The only person to have ever put their name to a negative comment was Mick Flynn, and i deleted these comments because i didn't want to be associated with his campaign against H&R"""

Wonder what would be said back here if you handed somebody the keys to that for their dayjob!!!!! probably Oh shit
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've got to ask:

How the F_E_C_K do they get drivers willing to spend 10/12 hour shifts driving about shorthaul in those TINY daycabbed trucks?!!!!!!!

I am right in thinking you really can touch the passenger window WITHOUT leaving the drivers seat aren't I?
Where the hell do you put any winter gear etc?

What NA shorthaul drivers would give for something a little bit more comfortable akin to what we have here in the UK for the majority of daywork.
They would wet their pants if you gave them a nice DAF CF/Volvo FM/Man TGS or Merc Axor.

Last edited by Big Truck; Aug 29th 2011 at 8:11 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've got to ask:

How the F_E_C_K do they get drivers willing to spend 10/12 hour shifts driving about shorthaul in those TINY daycabbed trucks?!!!!!!!

I am right in thinking you really can touch the passenger window WITHOUT leaving the drivers seat aren't I?

What NA shorthaul drivers would give for something a little bit more comfortable akin to what we have here in the UK for the majority of daywork.
Need bloody long arms to touch the window but yes the day cabs are pidderly small here
Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to ask:

They would wet their pants if you gave them a nice DAF CF/Volvo FM/Man TGS or Merc Axor.
Am a big Volvo fan myself,but the trucks you mention woudn't last long here,they'd be a pile of bits by the roadside in no time at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.