Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BT Welcome back!!! Now spill the beans.....

[QUOTE=Big Truck;5636214]
Originally Posted by andy_sheila

This trucking forum is chock a block full of drama queens,look at what has been posted this past two weeks,a complete load of "twaddle", 90% of it nothing what so ever to do with driving a truck in Canada.
At least when I post,good or bad/arsehole or not its "mostly on subject!!!!

Thats the second time you've had me on your ignore list,try and stand by your principles this time!!!
Ive been reading these type of replies for some time now and am struggling to fathom why you,Big Truck just don't go and look up cross-stitch.com or something because all you seem to do is rub people up the wrong way.
People will decide for themselves whether a move to Canada is in their best interests or not.
Hats off to those who are living and working over there but if you don't like it,let them get on with it and you get on with driving over here.
As far as working 15 hours a day goes, I'm on days (with one of the UK's largest hauliers)and it happens alot. I suggest that most truckers the world over are working very long hours, it's not something unique to Canada. Plus, If I was tramping abroad,I would want to be working as many hours as possible.
I'm not having a go, just saying if your'e happy driving here and they are happy driving in Canada, whats the problem?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:08 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nwtrucker;5637560]
Originally Posted by Big Truck

Ive been reading these type of replies for some time now and am struggling to fathom why you,Big Truck just don't go and look up cross-stitch.com or something because all you seem to do is rub people up the wrong way.
People will decide for themselves whether a move to Canada is in their best interests or not.
Hats off to those who are living and working over there but if you don't like it,let them get on with it and you get on with driving over here.
As far as working 15 hours a day goes, I'm on days (with one of the UK's largest hauliers)and it happens alot. I suggest that most truckers the world over are working very long hours, it's not something unique to Canada. Plus, If I was tramping abroad,I would want to be working as many hours as possible.
I'm not having a go, just saying if your'e happy driving here and they are happy driving in Canada, whats the problem?
My wife has a craft site if it's any help.
www.craft-bag.com
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:23 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=koogar;5637727]
Originally Posted by nwtrucker

My wife has a craft site if it's any help.
www.craft-bag.com
HaHaHa, thats your site really, your'e just useing your wife as a cover
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:35 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=andy_sheila;5637766]
Originally Posted by koogar

HaHaHa, thats your site really, your'e just useing your wife as a cover
busted, lol
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=koogar;5637787]

busted, lol
Excellent,

Are you taking orders for Aran Jumpers might need one with the weather being bad.

Think it goes knit one purle one in over through and off....ahem ahem cough cough......anyway back to big hard trucking talk.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

[QUOTE=nwtrucker;5637560]
I dont think hes trying to put anyone off moving to Canada...nor rub them up the wrong way.
I dont understand why people get so threatened by his questions, if you dont like them, then ignore them people....who cares. I read them because they are all interesting and are quetions i would like to know.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

I have been labelled on another site a "Crusader"!!!!
Fair enough,
I am speaking for the "silent minority" (ONES WHO YOU GUY'S WOULD THINK DON'T EXIST!!) IE:
Those who went to Canada found out the companies lied to them about how many hours they would have to work for a "meagre" wage,they then returned home broke AND those who maybe are about too and are only getting fed the SPIN.

Before you all start,
Yes I know there are many other reasons why it doesn't work out,but IN MY OPINION its mostly blamed on too long away from home and crap wages (at least alot less than what they where told to expect in their interviews).

Happy now?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=CurtNIR;5639303]
Originally Posted by nwtrucker

I dont think hes trying to put anyone off moving to Canada...nor rub them up the wrong way.
I dont understand why people get so threatened by his questions, if you dont like them, then ignore them people....who cares. I read them because they are all interesting and are quetions i would like to know.
At last a man with a bit of common sense!!!

If only I could show all of you "dissenters" the Pm's I recieve,
you see I have a "wolf pack" too its just that some of them very rarely post if at all.
You see if you had been shafted by an OTR trucking company in Canada and had to return to the UK bankrupt,would you shout it from the rooftops?
No, I didn't think so!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:42 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think hes trying to put anyone off moving to Canada Neither do i...nor rub them up the wrong way I disagree with this, i think it's his only reason for being on this forum, he seems to have next to no intention of moving here so why does he stay where he obviously isn't wanted. Most of his arguements have been disproved by people here, doing the work, yet he still argues.
I dont understand why people get so threatened by his questions, Nobody's threatened, just sick of the same old, same old......if you dont like them, then ignore them people....who cares. I read them because they are all interesting ????????? how can the same question asked a hundred times be interesting? and are questions i would like to know.You have had your answers many times over
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

I dont think hes trying to put anyone off moving to Canada Neither do i...nor rub them up the wrong way I disagree with this, i think it's his only reason for being on this forum, he seems to have next to no intention of moving here so why does he stay where he obviously isn't wanted. Most of his arguements have been disproved by people here, doing the work, yet he still argues.
I dont understand why people get so threatened by his questions, Nobody's threatened, just sick of the same old, same old......if you dont like them, then ignore them people....who cares. I read them because they are all interesting ????????? how can the same question asked a hundred times be interesting? and are questions i would like to know.You have had your answers many times over
I havent read his questions over 100 times, thanks.
So when he posts a question about wages, id like to know if i can afford to pay a mortgage, live and eat as a single person on 0.30 odd cents a mile.
I could ask you the same question, how do you find all the jibberish shite talked on here on a daily basis interesting...
Im not having a go at you or anyone, just stating my opinions on things, for once.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is advice coming from a man who's an O/O and up until very recently (UNTIL I ADVISED HIM DIFFERENT!!!!!:curse he admitted on this forum that he did not have a clue what his biggest cost was in his business IE what he paid for fuel,for anybody who was/is an O/D they would find that unbelieveable!!!!
He also stated that he was "leasing" his truck and gets to keep it at the end of the payments,now it could be different between what leasing means in the UK and what it means in Canada but according to O/O's I know on another forum "leasing" in N.America means it gets handed back.
Since he was so stupid about his fuel I would be tempted to say he's mistaken about his leasing agreement too?

You see thats one of the disadvantages of using the ignore button,Andy doesn't now know that I'm a CRUSADER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:46 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

I havent read his questions over 100 times, thanks. You haven't been around this forum much then?
So when he posts a question about wages, id like to know if i can afford to pay a mortgage, live and eat as a single person So ask someone here, earning the wages and living the life.... on 0.30 odd cents a mile. NO company that i know of pays as little as $0.30 cpm
I could ask you the same question, how do you find all the jibberish shite talked on here on a daily basis interesting... I guess you have to be involved in it to appreciate it........
Im not having a go at you or anyone, just stating my opinions on things, for once. I don't take it that way and everyones entitled to there opinion, all i ask is that when someone states something that it be factual and have the good sense to say "sorry, i was wrong" when proved wrong.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:47 pm
Whatacomplete Member

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
I havent read his questions over 100 times, thanks.
So when he posts a question about wages, id like to know if i can afford to pay a mortgage, live and eat as a single person on 0.30 odd cents a mile.
I could ask you the same question, how do you find all the jibberish shite talked on here on a daily basis interesting...
Im not having a go at you or anyone, just stating my opinions on things, for once.
Hi Curt.
I can only speak for the company I worked for, don't know about everyone else.
I made 39c a mile in Canada and 41c a mile in the US. (47c a mile pulling turnpikes in Canada).
I'd run around 600 miles a day when I was out (eg. Saskatoon to SLC in 2 days). You can usually do 600 miles in 10-11 hours driving (we had a 100kph company speed limit). I'd run 600 miles, take 10 hours off, run 600 miles etc etc. I didn't care about running days or nights (I know some people do) so if 10 hours off meant I set off again at 3am, so be it. I didn't care... in fact, I quite liked driving at night.
I was there on my own (no family) so it didn't matter if/when I got 'home', but I would imagine that if you have a family at home, you'd want to max your daily hours anyway. If your trip is 3000 miles, you get the same money whether you do it in 5 days or 7 days. Why not max your hours for 5 days and get 2 days at home for the same wage as doing the trip in 7 days? That's what I did anyway.
You can make a good enough wage if you're willing to work and 600 miles in Canada/US is a lot easier (less tiring) than doing 400 miles in the UK. The obvious exception is running the mountains in winter. Run Calgary to Vancouver (around 600 miles) in the winter and you know you've done a days work.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:26 pm
PREPARED

pete d is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been labelled on another site a "Crusader"!!!!
Fair enough,
I am speaking for the "silent minority" (ONES WHO YOU GUY'S WOULD THINK DON'T EXIST!!) IE:
Those who went to Canada found out the companies lied to them about how many hours they would have to work for a "meagre" wage,they then returned home broke AND those who maybe are about too and are only getting fed the SPIN.

Before you all start,
Yes I know there are many other reasons why it doesn't work out,but IN MY OPINION its mostly blamed on too long away from home and crap wages (at least alot less than what they where told to expect in their interviews).

Happy now?
If anyone returns from canada and blames the long hours, low wages, the weather than in my opinion, they shouldn't have gone in the first place....
we are living in the 21st century all the info you could ever ask for is at the touch of a button.
I understand that this ain't for everyone but isn't that this proffesion in general, some drivers like going from dock to dock on container work or sitting at rdc's for hours on end or multi drops round london, well i couldn't do any of these jobs but that don't make me right or wrong.
So if a bloke can sell his home and drag his family thousands of miles round the world too just have a go, than fair play and all the luck in the world, it don't work for everyone but it does for work for some....

rant over

Pete XX
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koogar
Hi Curt.
I can only speak for the company I worked for, don't know about everyone else.
I made 39c a mile in Canada and 41c a mile in the US. (47c a mile pulling turnpikes in Canada).
I'd run around 600 miles a day when I was out (eg. Saskatoon to SLC in 2 days). You can usually do 600 miles in 10-11 hours driving (we had a 100kph company speed limit). I'd run 600 miles, take 10 hours off, run 600 miles etc etc. I didn't care about running days or nights (I know some people do) so if 10 hours off meant I set off again at 3am, so be it. I didn't care... in fact, I quite liked driving at night.
I was there on my own (no family) so it didn't matter if/when I got 'home', but I would imagine that if you have a family at home, you'd want to max your daily hours anyway. If your trip is 3000 miles, you get the same money whether you do it in 5 days or 7 days. Why not max your hours for 5 days and get 2 days at home for the same wage as doing the trip in 7 days? That's what I did anyway.
You can make a good enough wage if you're willing to work and 600 miles in Canada/US is a lot easier (less tiring) than doing 400 miles in the UK. The obvious exception is running the mountains in winter. Run Calgary to Vancouver (around 600 miles) in the winter and you know you've done a days work.

Thanks mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.