British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/british-squaddie-canadian-truck-driver-whats-worst-could-happen-767383/)

Julie_Andrews Aug 6th 2012 11:07 am

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

I have served just under 12 years in the British Army and I am currently facing possible redundancy. I have long given up on the UK and think thats Canada is my best possible future, specifically driving trucks. I'm looking at Westcan Bulk Transport, Calgary as my preferance. Obviously I haven't got a clue whats ahead of me and am looking for advice from either personal experience or stories passed whether they be good or bad.
Thanks for reading...

alandoug Aug 7th 2012 3:07 am

Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews (Post 10212645)
I have served just under 12 years in the British Army and I am currently facing possible redundancy. I have long given up on the UK and think thats Canada is my best possible future, specifically driving trucks. I'm looking at Westcan Bulk Transport, Calgary as my preferance. Obviously I haven't got a clue whats ahead of me and am looking for advice from either personal experience or stories passed whether they be good or bad.
Thanks for reading...

Go for it, there is plenty of opportunity in Alberta if you don't like Westcan. You will work harder than in UK. If you are single go straight out. If married & kids, do a recce trip with the Mrs & LISTEN to her concerns. Also do you costings carefully & be conservative with your potential earnings in the begining.
Just bear in mind Canada has its faults, the same as UK.

Julie_Andrews Aug 7th 2012 10:47 am

Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

It would take me a while to get out of the Army anyway so it wouldnt be an over night move. I'm off to Canada with the army in a month for a couple of months and we'll be only 2 hours away from Calgary so I'm going to try and get up there then to have a look around and maybe get an interview. I'm just on here to learn from peoples experiences and get a better idea of what I'm in for.

heydon1983 Aug 7th 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews (Post 10214536)
It would take me a while to get out of the Army anyway so it wouldnt be an over night move. I'm off to Canada with the army in a month for a couple of months and we'll be only 2 hours away from Calgary so I'm going to try and get up there then to have a look around and maybe get an interview. I'm just on here to learn from peoples experiences and get a better idea of what I'm in for.

you going to batus for a couple of months. There are a few companies who will take on brits but when you contact some of them you need to ask them if they have an lmo in place to enable them to employ forigen workers i wouldnt recommend h and r transport because there reputation on forigen workers is none exsistant look on job bank canada its a good place to look also a lot of the local papers here have driving jobs advertised but research everything carefully the cost of living house prices stuff like that if you do you research right you wont go far wrong best of luck:fingerscrossed:

Julie_Andrews Aug 7th 2012 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by heydon1983 (Post 10215244)
you going to batus for a couple of months. There are a few companies who will take on brits but when you contact some of them you need to ask them if they have an lmo in place to enable them to employ forigen workers i wouldnt recommend h and r transport because there reputation on forigen workers is none exsistant look on job bank canada its a good place to look also a lot of the local papers here have driving jobs advertised but research everything carefully the cost of living house prices stuff like that if you do you research right you wont go far wrong best of luck:fingerscrossed:

Thankyou...

Julie_Andrews Aug 8th 2012 10:35 am

I'm lead to believe that my English licence can be transfered for a class 5 licence in Alberta, how much would it cost me to get all my HGV's back?

nwtrucker Aug 9th 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews (Post 10216449)
I'm lead to believe that my English licence can be transfered for a class 5 licence in Alberta, how much would it cost me to get all my HGV's back?

A few variables as far as I can tell. Some companies will pay for your license in return for a minimum 'contract', others will 'loan' you the fee and you re-pay it from your wages in small increments or you could sort it yourself and look around paying $2000. It all depends on your circumstances I guess?! Good luck.

Julie_Andrews Aug 13th 2012 10:31 am

With reference to the Canadian licencing, I know I would have to re-take my HGV's but besides the driving side what else would I need to do theory work etc...?

neilg14 Aug 13th 2012 1:10 pm

You need to learn Canada's version of the highway code (make sure you know the bit about school buses inside out) then go to one of the driving agencies and do the computer test.
On the computer test which is multipal choice with 4 answers of which 2 will be stupid and two possibilities you have to get something like 35 out of 40 right (can't remember the numbers), anyhow, if you aren't sure on any, don't guess, just skip on to the next question because as soon as you get the 5 wrong, you've failed, so answer the ones you are sure of first and as long as you've learnt it you'll pass easily.
You will also do a day in the classroom learning about how the braking system works, followed at the end by a practical test on brake adjustment.
When these are passed onto the driving lessons & test.
If everything goes to plan you can do it all in 4 days.
Good luck.

Julie_Andrews Aug 13th 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10224731)
You need to learn Canada's version of the highway code (make sure you know the bit about school buses inside out) then go to one of the driving agencies and do the computer test.
On the computer test which is multipal choice with 4 answers of which 2 will be stupid and two possibilities you have to get something like 35 out of 40 right (can't remember the numbers), anyhow, if you aren't sure on any, don't guess, just skip on to the next question because as soon as you get the 5 wrong, you've failed, so answer the ones you are sure of first and as long as you've learnt it you'll pass easily.
You will also do a day in the classroom learning about how the braking system works, followed at the end by a practical test on brake adjustment.
When these are passed onto the driving lessons & test.
If everything goes to plan you can do it all in 4 days.
Good luck.

I expected something along those lines, I've heard something about air brakes, would that be the same thing? And what sort of cost would I be looking at?
Cheers...

spockil Aug 14th 2012 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Julie_Andrews (Post 10225312)
I expected something along those lines, I've heard something about air brakes, would that be the same thing? And what sort of cost would I be looking at?
Cheers...

check out sgi website for comercial licence u should find the downloaded for the air brakes etc

neilg14 Aug 14th 2012 12:09 pm

I paid $1700 nearly 5 1/2 years ago, so maybe $2000 tops now and you get a big chunk of that back on your taxes at the end of the year.

HeadingNorth Aug 17th 2012 5:02 am

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10226715)
I paid $1700 nearly 5 1/2 years ago, so maybe $2000 tops now and you get a big chunk of that back on your taxes at the end of the year.

Five years ago it cost me $1000 all in.You have to go find a good driving school yourself.

I used Gennaro's in Edmonton- www.gennaro.ca

Depending on where you move you need to ask around for the best prices,instructors,etc. It's way easier than the UK version-I should know as |I used to be a DVLA instructor,lol.

fergie171 Aug 17th 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth (Post 10231642)
Five years ago it cost me $1000 all in.You have to go find a good driving school yourself.

I used Gennaro's in Edmonton- www.gennaro.ca

Depending on where you move you need to ask around for the best prices,instructors,etc. It's way easier than the UK version-I should know as |I used to be a DVLA instructor,lol.

H&R were asking for $1500 from a british national and $1850 for irish and other european countries...the uk has a license agreement with canada hence the lower cost

phat puddock Sep 24th 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by spockil (Post 10226225)
check out sgi website for comercial licence u should find the downloaded for the air brakes etc

you need an air brakes ticket to drive any vehicle equiped with them from light trucks,buses and up, some RV's as well.

If you have found a company that will sponser your training, double edged sword as some may hold your documendation untill an agreed time period.
get it in writting!

be aware that, you must be clean and sober at work. you can be tested at any time and especialy so when on industrial roads or complexes.

pass medical pass test. You might find some differances in drivingsome accepted or encouraged practices in UK do not pass here, instructors will advise you. Gear shifting , differant hand and differant boxes, might great your teeth :) Rev /Road speed/ ratio.

mountain driving especialy coastal mountains, be prepared, take the time to learn about it, Chaining and styles of driving are crutial.

went from a Pacific logger to a walker!

good luck, that is how started 30 years ago on demob