Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen?!

Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Originally Posted by neilg14
On the computer test which is multipal choice with 4 answers of which 2 will be stupid and two possibilities you have to get something like 35 out of 40 right (can't remember the numbers), anyhow, if you aren't sure on any, don't guess, just skip on to the next question because as soon as you get the 5 wrong, you've failed, so answer the ones you are sure of first and as long as you've learnt it you'll pass easily.

Good luck.
No skipping now, unfortunately.

Some companies are testing their drivers in automatics now so it's a piece of pee.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From British squaddie to Canadian truck driver, whats the worst that could happen

Originally Posted by mickfly
No skipping now, unfortunately.

Some companies are testing their drivers in automatics now so it's a piece of pee.
Test in an auto means you can only drive autos-may narrow your job prospects in the future!
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
Test in an auto means you can only drive autos-may narrow your job prospects in the future!
There is no distinction between auto and manual on a class 1 Mb licence
Big Freight use an auto and you are qualified to drive either when test is passed.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Another thing is most of the companies seem to road test in a standard to see if you can shift-just in case you have to drive an older manual transmission.

I personally prefer a standard.Less to go wrong.Anyway out here you don't really have shift that much and only need to use the clutch to start and stop.

Other guys I know love the autos,especially the Volvo IShifts-each to their own I guess.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

PzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nicePzFus is just really nice

Julie - a suggestion for you as you appear to be making a good long considered decision about getting out and coming to the True North Strong and Free. Make the most of the time that you are in BATUS on this trip to find out when the jobs are coming up that you could fill on posting. You can kill a whole bunch of birds with one stone if you get a posting.

1. You (and the DCOS if you are married) can get the full experience of the prairies. Winter comes as a big shock to those who have only been in the box during the spring/summer/autumn. I'm sure that you have considered a lot of the issues, but some issues don't become apparent until you have lived here. None of them will put you off living here, but it is best to have your eyes wide open before you leave the bubble of the Army. Also importantly if it becomes obvious for whatever reason that Canada isn't going to work - you just post (or opt to resettle) back in the UK and you haven't lost anything.

2. If you like it here you can plan to leave the army from a posting to BATUS, re-settling in place. Med-Hat and the area has loads of troops who have done just that, and contribute a massive amount to the local community and economy. Doing things that way will also work out for you financially as you will then not have to move from UK - all you will need to do is move any furniture/goods you have in storage from UK. Again, if you've got family your eyes will water at how much it costs to move here from Germany/UK, especially when you factor in living in a hotel whilst you find a house etc.

3. A 2 year posting will let you spread out some of your immediate "move to Canada" costs, like buying a car ( and a snowblower!) so that as you leave the Army you are not having to dig too deep into your savings for all the things you need as soon as you get here.

4. You can use the BATUS winter "slow time" when lots of the permanent staff are skiing or .... working hard on administration, to get yourself Canadian qualified. BATUS runs a couple of big rig 18 wheelers for log runs up and down the Trans Can rather than UK Mil spec vehicles - you might even be able to get your Canadian experience and qualifications on those if you are RLC.

5. You can get to see some other areas outside Alberta, especially if you do the winter exercise or head across to Montreal for the Nov/Mar equipment turnover which occurs by rail and ship. Alberta is a great province, and I love Calgary but I didn't know how good the Maritimes were until I got here to see them.

These are just some thoughts and I'm sure that you have probably already run most of them through your head. If there are any more questions that you have that I can help with give me a shout - I can't guarantee to know the answer, but I will probably know somebody who does.

I hope you enjoy the exercise and don't spend all your cash in the Doll House.