Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:28 am
Not So New Member

Jon Kemper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

It sure was just look at how bad the UK has gone since I left.....
It was a no brainer to make the move.

We have just had a new manager start today, who is Canadian but has spent the last 14 years working for us in the UK. He has been telling us about everything that has really been going on over there, which is a completely different story to what the media tells everyone.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Of course, I remember you situation well, Jon. I am so very glad you stuck to it, as I know you are.

My friend was telling me that his Dad, a driver in the UK for 40 years, is being banned from quarries for being caught climbing out of his cab "the wrong way".

I think I would be paying just to leave the UK now.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 6:53 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

hi guys i know its been a couple me months since anyone posted on here but maybe 1 me you will look again. Im coming over to Toronto area later this year as a truck driver with nearly 20 years on the road behind me just wondering if anyone can give me some info on decent firms to work for in Toronto area also is it worth putting myself through license or are there many firms that will employ you and put you through . I already have my pr so no probs there any help will be great thanks guys
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

If you already have your PR then you will be able to exchange your licence for a Canadian learners permit, then you could do the training yourself. If you do, then you would be able to pick and choose where you wanted to work a little better.

If you have the cash to spare then it is a better idea than getting sponsored. As for firms, well there are several, Challenger being one of the biggies, although Erb used to do it, as did Manitoulin.

If you do get sponsored then they will tie you to a contract, but you may actually have more trouble since you already have PR..
Old Feb 26th 2011, 8:20 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

ok thanks bob how expensive is it to take your license and how long does it usually take ive had a few quotes 1 driving school said as ive got experiance already should be through in about 1-2 weeks at a cost of about $500 another said id need about 8 weeks costing about $4000 so not sure who to believe thanks for your help
Old Feb 26th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arniedog
ok thanks bob how expensive is it to take your license and how long does it usually take ive had a few quotes 1 driving school said as ive got experiance already should be through in about 1-2 weeks at a cost of about $500 another said id need about 8 weeks costing about $4000 so not sure who to believe thanks for your help
The driving school I used in Alberta charged $75 an hour in class (air brake test) and on the road, 16 hrs , ie 4 mornings was $1200 plus the test so 1-2 weeks at $500 would be a bargain in any province!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

I would think $1500 would see it. You may be wise to research which Provinces are the most lenient in some ways. I hear the test in Ontario can be a bit of a witch, but may well be wrong info.

I would think the 8 week one is for the drivers school, where they teach you all sorts of other transport related things. I think it is a recognised qualification but is aimed at new drivers.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:05 pm
forever blowing bubbles

Cool Re: Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

ok ive been looking back at my scribbles of quotes and the best was $499-$999 for a 1-2 week course depending on experiance do they really take our driving in the UK into consideration ? ive contacted some firms but they just said come see us when your trained is there alot of drivers jobs out there at mo i was told about ayr motors but having read through your posts from end of last year i wont be ringing them lol i really appreciate your help it makes things a bit easier when you can get answers from people that are there
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

There are always drivers jobs out here. Not sure how well things are in Ontario though.

Probably, when they say trained, they mean licenced. Your experience will stand you in good stead I expect.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
ok ive been looking back at my scribbles of quotes and the best was $499-$999 for a 1-2 week course depending on experiance do they really take our driving in the UK into consideration ? ive contacted some firms but they just said come see us when your trained is there alot of drivers jobs out there at mo i was told about ayr motors but having read through your posts from end of last year i wont be ringing them lol i really appreciate your help it makes things a bit easier when you can get answers from people that are there
When you apply to a trucking company, you may want to put in a few full stops and use some capitol letters, I ran out of air and fainted at "ayr motors"
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:50 pm
forever blowing bubbles

cheers gremmie ill remember that lol. Have to say you must have good lungs when i reread it i didnt manage to get as far as you did before i started to run out of oxygen