Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayr Motor Express charging $500 application fee!

Originally Posted by hughes3005
What can you say about San Antonio or Dallas or Houston TX.or Austin? its Very Warm and Rush hour traffic is like the M25..
No pay phones in the truck stops you Need to get a NET10 mobile phone its the cheapest mobile for the US..
Only 4 c. Texans aint happy
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm down in Edinburgh nr the Mex border now Gremmie, reloading tomorrow.
Thanks for all the advice Hughes 3005..
Theres me thinking that me and my family have the best few years of our lives since we emigrated to Canada. Thanks for pointing out that we are mistaken.....
I guess people like you will never accept that (statistically) most families make a success of emigration to Canada and you simply refuse to believe that i am still running longhaul and "loving the life."
P.s. everyone uses Skype nowadays.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Long Haul drivers that have to drive in the US are paid by pc miler as it saves the Haulage company's lots of money.some trips may be a few miles out but on other trips it can be considerable less than what the truck does.
if you want a cheap house prices go to New Brunswick and work for AYR Motors.you should get a 3 bedroom family house for $150 000.the equivalent council tax is more than the UK. Alberta $300 0000
Tax through PAYE is very similar also to the UK.
Also some if not most pay up $2500 for a drivers licence.
up to or more than $1600 for accommodation whilst you get your licence.
and with a lot of company's your wages are paid on the third week not every week..
there is a perception that when you start work in Canada, every thing is going to be plain sailing`,` and no matter what you search for on the internet its not going to help you until you experience it first hand.when you arrive.
I am not saying dont go to Canada i am saying its very expensive to start with and it will take a lot of years to get over it for a family with small assets.
If you are a couple with out children then you will have it easy .and $0.40 to $0.42 per mile is OK until you start loading and unloading working 7 days a week take home pay From $550 up to $1000 After tax.
You dont get family allowance for the first 18 months.
And please point out whats crap.
The PNP system is Crap and wide open to Company abuse.it needs to be simplified so that it takes no longer than 12 months max.
I am sorry you lot don't approve of posters having opinions...but that's life
Sums it up nicely,"you don't get family allowance etc",why should you be entitled to any? Come to think of it why should any government give money to parents for bringing up their children ? A bit like moving to Canada,nobody was forced into it.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

You know something, I was sympathetic to you a while ago. Now I think you are Bigtruck in disguise. So I will answer within your pathetic, snide, sorry for yourself post.

How did you succeed?

By hard work
How much money did you have?
I had about $17000 in total. I have my house, 2 cars, the ATV, the new toys, my firearms.. I didn't do so badly
How many trucks do you own?
None. I may buy one in the future, but I have no major wish to.
How did you do this so you can help others to make it work.
By working hard, by fitting in, by not being like you..
How much money will you go throw "Just to start work"
None. My flights were paid, they paid my motel for the 4 days I was in there. they paid my licence fees. I was paid from day 1
How much tax "will you pay"
Hard to say, but less than on PAYE, and if you factor in a refund of about $4k every year...
How much do trucking company's charge for earning them a living....
Not a penny. I work for my money and they pay it.
Lets have some honesty and not some paid yes man saying how good it is....
Canada is MORE expensive than Europe..
Utter crap
I don't want to put drivers off from going to Canada i want them to be prepared for returning home when they see its to costly to live there.....!!!!!
No, it was costly for you because you made the wrong choices and you didn't even make the best of them. If it has put you, or your ilk. off coming here then that is fine though.

You know, people like you were the major reason I always sat alone on the ferries and in truckstops. I would have ended up throwing something at you or something like that.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Gremmie what is more accurate the truck or some computer in favour of the Inc trucking company.
if pc miler was so accurate then why not help the driver use that route and save massive amounts on fuel?
My company pays the additional miles if there is a valid reason, and usually pay the hours if you do it for them, too.
Food is more expensive
You think so? I suppose you went to an english store... 3 quid for a can of heinz beans would be expensive.*
Fuel more expensive.
How the hell can you say that? I paid 95 cents a litre for gas, and the winter fuel is a shade over a dollar a litre..*
house prices Unbelievably expensive.
you are full of crap. Our house was $148k, when the exchange was $2.03.. 5 bedrooms, 10 acres.*
Gas and electric very expensive.
nope. Our house is 100% electric, and we have our replacement windows financed through MB Hydro. Our bill is $350 a month for everything.
Taxes out of this world expensive.
MB GST and PST is 13% all in. Income tax is considerably lower and easier to understand.*
Air travel WOW so expensive.
No, in the UK it costs the same to fly from Newquay to Gatwick as it does to fly to Toronto from the Peg. Only 5 times the distance.
Mobile phones cost the "earth" and calls from the US and Canada could cost you the price of space travel...
Not really. Mine is probably the most expensive among us here and is $135 a month, but the company pay me $100 towards it.
The link between the US and Canada is so important for Canada who is the weakest link "the driver"....
No, I think that you would be the weakest link.*
No and i repeat no driver will prosper in Canada and its no small feat thanks to the devious trucking company's that make's the UK look GOOD..
Well I think we have done well. Throughout this recession I have kept working just as always.*
And i have family in Switzerland and have been to Switzerland many times..NO Comparison..
Does someone as silly as you actually have any family that would own up to you?And to Finnish, if you as a driver "invest your time" to work in Canada.then 2 years of your life is just the start of what time you invest.
You invest yourself. That is the whole point. If you cannot adapt then you fail. Like you did then..*
What ever i say or you say will not deter the potential truck driver, but doing your best and when it goes wrong to be told."it's your fault you should have done your home work"..is a reply from an "IDIOT".and there are many...
Nope, you failed, end of story. So you went on with a firm that didn't pay as they maybe should have, but looking at your rants, I would have just paid you to go away.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Wire, Gremmie, FTTM.... We were all wrong. We will all have to go back to the UK because we are destined to fail....

Probably, Ayr only asked him to come back because they wanted to tell him to piss off instead of him chickening out and running home like a bullied cub scout.

Hughes, you ask us to prove that the government subsidise immigrant drivers. It is crap. The government has no need to, and they state openly on their website that the immigrant driver is the sole responsibility of the company. That is why, unlike you, some of us were able to prove ourselves and were allowed to remain here. You prove they do, since you are pointing the finger.

Regarding coming here with a family, well I did, as did probably 90% of the drivers I know here. Our families all seem to have settled well. Some have teenagers and even they settle well.

Council tax... well my annual bill was $900. That included the bus for junior to go to school and the school system. You have to drive your kids to school I expect.. factor the fuel for that at 1.20 or more a litre. Even if you don't drive them, it makes no difference.

I paid nothing for my accomodation, but I did rent an apartment after the 4th day while I was waiting for the house to become vacant.

I am paid bi-monthly. On the 15th and at the month end.

Oh, and you get the family allowance based on your previous years earnings.

You didn't experience driving here. You whinged that you didn't get any work.

What all this boils down to is that you are not up to this job. It is demanding, but not more than in the UK and Europe. The benefits outweigh any shortcomings. But this is only true if you are able and willing to work. Do you seriously think that we, most of us with 20 or more years in the job, do not know what suits us, or what constitutes a good place to work and live?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Rob you're right,it really sucks to live here.Having no mortgage really upsets me,then my weekends are spent washing my 4 cars,and on top of that the horses all need exercising.So wish I could be back in my 3 bed semi,but don't feel pity for me,I'll get through somehow,
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Oh I do, though. I feel that you are probably the hardest done by of all of us. I mean. I still have a mortgage, but it is a third of the one I had in the UK, so I feel badly enough off...

You hear so much of this sort of thing, though. I find it sad, really. What is funny is that Rasta wants to come back. He had some real crap luck here, but he wants to return because he found out the UK has less to offer with each passing day.

Perkinsgap came back, and he was really unhappy for a while. Queenie came back but has since returned again, but his stepfather died while he was here and he worried about his mom. Road Rage went back, then came back, then went back and has come back again, and he says that going back last time was a real mistake.

So many of us feel we have done well, probably because we have done well. It makes me laugh when people like hughes3005 say you can't make a living here as a driver... How do Canadians manage then?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

I've just joined the site, so first of all, hello

Now to business, I came over to Canada in May 08, initially with one of the crappy companies that have to recruit from overseas, that lasted five months I was fed a pack of lies, but hey ho, I wasn't expecting a job for life, well anyway, 5 months in and I was being starved, I came over on my own with 2 grand sterling in my pocket, so had no back up funds and was still paying bills in the UK, I was on the HRSDC programme and that obviously limited my choices, so I went and found myself a job, the new company managed to get an LMO and as soon as the paperwork arrived I started with them and I'm still there today

I get paid on PC Miler, on some trips they win, some I win, whatever, I'm more than happy with my wages, I get plenty of miles, plenty of hometime, when I want it and I get very well looked after, for instance my Wife had stayed in the UK, she came over whenever she could, but I had an idea that instead of coming to Canada, I would meet her in New York and we could spend a week there, I mentioned it to my bosses and they organised a load to NYC for me and let me park the truck for a week while I galavanted around NYC with the missus

I also went back to the UK for a visit in January this year, things got a little complicated and I had to stay until March, I got weekly phone calls from work, not asking when I would be back, but asking if I was ok, when I did eventually return they were so pleased to see me it was almost overwhelming, now I'm good at what I do, but so are many others, so it wasn't just because I'm some kind of superhero, but because they are genuinely decent people, so where this crap about truckers being treated like dirt all over Canada comes from, well it's just wrong

It amazes me that people have the courage to emigrate, then give up at the first hurdle, Ayr, H&R, Big Freight and the others are all terrible places to work, it's not rocket science, if they were good jobs they would not be recruiting from half way around the world as locals would fill all the positions

To slag off a whole country because you can't get a decent job is beneath contempt, all the claptrap about taxes and costs is just pure nonsense, the standard of living in Canada is far far better than in the UK, even if your loaf of bread costs you three times as much......
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to all the successful expats,but I've decided to take the advice offered by Hughes3005,I'm going back.
Ticket is booked and I fly on Friday,good news though it's only for 4 days and involving a spur of the moment stag for an old friend.Starting with golf at Celtic Manor,followed by Wales v All Blacks at the Millenium Stadium.Should be feeling suicidal about how to afford the flights if Hughes is correct with his ramblings but am actually looking forward to the weekend.
Will have to put in a few extra PC milers to cover the cost eh ? Maybe even sell the house ?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Sorry to all the successful expats,but I've decided to take the advice offered by Hughes3005,I'm going back.
Ticket is booked and I fly on Friday,good news though it's only for 4 days and involving a spur of the moment stag for an old friend.Starting with golf at Celtic Manor,followed by Wales v All Blacks at the Millenium Stadium.Should be feeling suicidal about how to afford the flights if Hughes is correct with his ramblings but am actually looking forward to the weekend.
Will have to put in a few extra PC milers to cover the cost eh ? Maybe even sell the house ?
Flap to the Clap i am flying over to watch the paint dry from your office window! i can see you there Gazing at the pigs flying!.never mind it will soon be home time and you can part take in your night work "UFO spotting".
Congratulations on your Sale's this week?..Celtiic or Rangers..Who have you got your money on? or is it just golf these days for the average long haul truck driver.
I put my money on The All Blacks
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes,I'll also be cheering for the All Blacks,but as for the remainder of your post I have know idea what you are talking about.Kindly learn the Queen's English.
Meanwhile I have a midnight fuel delivery so I'm off to get my hands dirty again.Loads of wonga coming in this week,maybe I won't have to sell the house to pay for my jolly
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Hughes3005 but forgot to ask,what relevance do a bunch of sweaty socks playing kissball have to this topic? Do you like men in skirts?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:33 am
Not So New Member

Jon Kemper is an unknown quantity at this point

Food is more expensive
It depends on where you shop. If you shop at Sobeys or Safeway then you will be paying more than if you went to Wal-Mart or Loblaws. Also consider how far the produce in the store has had to travel on a truck.
Fuel more expensive.
Fuel is cheaper than the UK, currently at 89.9c for a liter of regular gas
house prices Unbelievably expensive.
House prices vary depending on where you want to live. I live out on an acreage, and only pay $1600 a month split between me and my brother. I can easily get a mortgage for a city house at about $1000 a month.
Gas and electric very expensive.
No they are not. My last monthly bill was probably $20 each bill
Taxes out of this world expensive.
Also another point i have to disagree with. I can expect to pay 25% of my paycheck to the taxman, my Pension fund, my RRSP and my health benefits insurance.
Air travel WOW so expensive.
Air travel is expensive ONLY if you dont shop around and find the best deals.
Mobile phones cost the "earth" and calls from the US and Canada could cost you the price of space travel...
My Cellphone costs me $100 a month, which has unlimited local incoming calls, it suits my needs and compared to the UK is about the same cost if you actually sit and work things out properly.
The link between the US and Canada is so important for Canada who is the weakest link "the driver"....
No and i repeat no driver will prosper in Canada and its no small feat thanks to the devious trucking company's that make's the UK look GOOD..
I tend to think that I prosper, I came here with just the things in my suitcase and $1000. I work for an International Parcel company, and really enjoy working for my employer. I regularly take home $700 a week after deductions, compared to the 200GBP i was getting back 'home'
And i have family in Switzerland and have been to Switzerland many times..NO Comparison..
And to Finnish, if you as a driver "invest your time" to work in Canada.then 2 years of your life is just the start of what time you invest.
What ever i say or you say will not deter the potential truck driver, but doing your best and when it goes wrong to be told."it's your fault you should have done your home work"..is a reply from an "IDIOT".and there are many...

I moved to Canada in May 2009, to start a new life for myself, and leave the hell-hole called the UK. I came over here with nothing at all apart from the few personal items i had in my suitcases, and a meager $1000 in cash.

I lived with my brother, rent free until I found work.... 5 months after landing here, I just happened to land just after the recession hit hard, Nobody was hiring. I applied to work at Timmys and Maccy D's . I got 0 callbacks from any of the jobs I applied for.

I finally got a breakthrough in August 2009 (I had 2 weeks of money left before I had to think about coming home), One of the companies hiring drivers decided they needed me. So I started driving a 1 tonne box truck, doing household collections for charity. The work wasn't great and the wage wasn't good either, neither were their trucks..... Brake pads fell out on the highway, leaving me with no brakes at all. I only worked for them for a week, As i quit that night that the truck almost killed me.

Luckily I had another job to walk into, This time doing food collections for the local Food Bank. I did this job for 7 weeks, until my current employer offered me a position as a Class 1 driver. I started with them in October 2009 and have been there ever since. I am hourly paid and am home every night. We Ranked 39th in the top 50 Best Employers in Canada......

I must also point out that I have a slightly different background history than the other guys who immigrated over here to Canada..... I didn't need PR . Thanks Dad

I am a Full Canadian citizen through birth, I hold a UK and a Canadian Passport. I am free to move anywhere in Canada, and do any job in Canada.

Last edited by Jon Kemper; Dec 1st 2010 at 3:53 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Good on you Jon,just shows how you can succeed in this country with a bit of determination.Worth moving here then ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.