Axles, weights, etc etc

Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:30 am
  #1  
Kev and Lisa
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 111
Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Axles, weights, etc etc

Can anyone recommend a book or website that give clear information on axle spacing and loading?

Also information on provincial and state requirements....

Also hours of service rules for Canada and the states....

It's all getting rather confusing....
Rodger Rabbit is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:21 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Raquelle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Stirling, Scotland
Posts: 93
Raquelle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit View Post
Can anyone recommend a book or website that give clear information on axle spacing and loading?

Also information on provincial and state requirements....

Also hours of service rules for Canada and the states....

It's all getting rather confusing....
Hi Kev!

I know nothing about any of the above but just wanted to say hi and ask how you and lisa are getting on You must be sooo looking forward to going now, are you all organised yet and did Lisa manage to finish her course ok?

Good luck to the pair of you anyway
Raquelle is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:27 am
  #3  
Class 1 Driver and Nurse
 
andy_sheila's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kentville, N.S.
Posts: 1,498
andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit View Post
Can anyone recommend a book or website that give clear information on axle spacing and loading?

Also information on provincial and state requirements....

Also hours of service rules for Canada and the states....

It's all getting rather confusing....
Get the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, it is a wealth of information and will tell you everything you asked for as well as much more such as low bridges, restricted routes etc.
It's worth it's weight in gold but don't pay full price (circa $80) wait until the truck stops discount them, i paid $29
if you want any specific info now, i can help
Andy
andy_sheila is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:56 pm
  #4  
Kev and Lisa
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 111
Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Hi all,
I've had a look on there website and will make it one of my first purchases when i get out there!!! (after the wifes hair straighteners!!)

Lisa is poorly sick Tripped over whilst returning from giving my credit card some hammer, pulled her Achilles tendon in lots of pain... She's on the mend now though.....
Rodger Rabbit is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:00 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit View Post
Hi all,
I've had a look on there website and will make it one of my first purchases when i get out there!!! (after the wifes hair straighteners!!)

Lisa is poorly sick Tripped over whilst returning from giving my credit card some hammer, pulled her Achilles tendon in lots of pain... She's on the mend now though.....
God works in mysterious ways
I found this,read through it and was none the wiser

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/...tm#section7.15
Gremmie is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:13 pm
  #6  
Kev and Lisa
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 111
Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

I agree, the mind boggles
Rodger Rabbit is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:36 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Have found the driving hours regs
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor313-e.html
Gremmie is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:47 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

And this for axel/dimesions ect.
http://www.comt.ca/english/programs/...MOU%202005.pdf
Gremmie is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:58 pm
  #9  
Whatacomplete Member
 
koogar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 2,527
koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by andy_sheila View Post
Get the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, it is a wealth of information and will tell you everything you asked for as well as much more such as low bridges, restricted routes etc.
It's worth it's weight in gold but don't pay full price (circa $80) wait until the truck stops discount them, i paid $29
if you want any specific info now, i can help
Andy
Excellent atlas, the only one I used (other than local maps).
Make sure you get the deluxe version.
All the pages are laminated and it's well worth the extra if you're a clumsy as me
koogar is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:00 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
DAVIE_MAC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Virgin Islands
Posts: 1,550
DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by koogar View Post
Excellent atlas, the only one I used (other than local maps).
Make sure you get the deluxe version.
All the pages are laminated and it's well worth the extra if you're a clumsy as me



Is this the Badger

Amazon UK - £36.00
DAVIE_MAC is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
  #11  
Class 1 Driver and Nurse
 
andy_sheila's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kentville, N.S.
Posts: 1,498
andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Thats the one Dave,
Koog, i have the laminated one, i just forgot to mention it
andy_sheila is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:15 am
  #12  
Kev and Lisa
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 111
Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Will pick one up over there when i land, saves more room for the wifes hair products!!!

Also i'll get the laminated one incase i spill tea on it while im holding it on the steering wheel
Rodger Rabbit is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:50 pm
  #13  
Whatacomplete Member
 
koogar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 2,527
koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

California was the only state I worried about really for dimensions. If you're loading for there, you need to be careful.
California law says that the max distance from the kingpin to the centre of the rear trailer axle is 40 feet. Not a problem in itself (so long as you can get the trailer bogies to slide) but axle weights can then become an issue. You need to legalise the load for EVERY state you are running through before you leave the shipper, or at least close enough to the shipper that you can go back there if you can't get it legal.
I know of 1 driver who got the load in Saskatchewan, got the axle weights legal for Canada and the US (you can carry more weight in Canada) then ran all the way through Saskatchewan, Alberta, crossed at Sweetgrass into Montana, through Montana, Idaho, and Nevada then decided to slide the axles in Reno to make it legal before crossing into California. Yea, you guessed it, no way could he get it legal and he was now well over a thousand miles from the shipper.
Not a good day.
koogar is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:22 pm
  #14  
Class 1 Driver and Nurse
 
andy_sheila's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kentville, N.S.
Posts: 1,498
andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by koogar View Post
California was the only state I worried about really for dimensions. If you're loading for there, you need to be careful.
California law says that the max distance from the kingpin to the centre of the rear trailer axle is 40 feet. Not a problem in itself (so long as you can get the trailer bogies to slide) but axle weights can then become an issue. You need to legalise the load for EVERY state you are running through before you leave the shipper, or at least close enough to the shipper that you can go back there if you can't get it legal.
I know of 1 driver who got the load in Saskatchewan, got the axle weights legal for Canada and the US (you can carry more weight in Canada) then ran all the way through Saskatchewan, Alberta, crossed at Sweetgrass into Montana, through Montana, Idaho, and Nevada then decided to slide the axles in Reno to make it legal before crossing into California. Yea, you guessed it, no way could he get it legal and he was now well over a thousand miles from the shipper.
Not a good day.
I haven't been to Ca yet Koog, are the coops open 24/7 like the impression you get from other drivers?

Tip: Slide the tandems so that the mudflap is at the 48ft (marked on most trailers) mark if loaded to the door, then scale and if your axle weights are legal then you will be legal anywhere. If you are not loaded to the back door, have the mudflaps as close to the end of the load as possible so the end pallet is over your tandem.

Last edited by andy_sheila; Oct 25th 2007 at 8:29 pm.
andy_sheila is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:32 pm
  #15  
Whatacomplete Member
 
koogar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 2,527
koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by andy_sheila View Post
I haven't been to Ca yet Koog, are the coops open 24/7 like the impression you get from other drivers?

Tip: Slide the tandems so that the mudflap is at the 48ft (marked on most trailers) mark if loaded to the door, then scale and if your axle weights are legal then you will be legal anywhere. If you are not loaded to the back door, have the mudflaps as close to the end of the load as possible so the end pallet is over your tandem.
Hello mate.
The POE West of Reno/Sparks asks to see everyones BOL and yes, they are mostly open.
They open/close/open/close when it's busy and the queue gets too long.
I never had any problems but then, I was always legal
koogar is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.