British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Axles, weights, etc etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/axles-weights-etc-etc-489231/)

Rodger Rabbit Oct 24th 2007 9:30 am

Axles, weights, etc etc

Can anyone recommend a book or website that give clear information on axle spacing and loading?:(

Also information on provincial and state requirements....

Also hours of service rules for Canada and the states....

It's all getting rather confusing....

Raquelle Oct 24th 2007 10:21 am

Re: Axles, weights, etc etc

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5460902)
Can anyone recommend a book or website that give clear information on axle spacing and loading?:(

Hi Kev!

I know nothing about any of the above but just wanted to say hi and ask how you and lisa are getting on:) You must be sooo looking forward to going now, are you all organised yet and did Lisa manage to finish her course ok?

Good luck to the pair of you anyway:thumbsup::thumbsup:

andy_sheila Oct 24th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5460902)

Get the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, it is a wealth of information and will tell you everything you asked for as well as much more such as low bridges, restricted routes etc.
It's worth it's weight in gold but don't pay full price (circa $80) wait until the truck stops discount them, i paid $29
if you want any specific info now, i can help
Andy

Rodger Rabbit Oct 24th 2007 4:56 pm

Hi all,
I've had a look on there website and will make it one of my first purchases when i get out there!!! (after the wifes hair straighteners!!:blink:)

Lisa is poorly sick:( Tripped over whilst returning from giving my credit card some hammer:rofl:, pulled her Achilles tendon:blink: in lots of pain... She's on the mend now though.....:thumbup:

Gremmie Oct 24th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5463105)
Hi all,
I've had a look on there website and will make it one of my first purchases when i get out there!!! (after the wifes hair straighteners!!:blink:)

Lisa is poorly sick:( Tripped over whilst returning from giving my credit card some hammer:rofl:, pulled her Achilles tendon:blink: in lots of pain... She's on the mend now though.....:thumbup:

God works in mysterious ways:confused::confused:
I found this,read through it and was none the wiser

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/...tm#section7.15

Rodger Rabbit Oct 24th 2007 5:13 pm

I agree, the mind boggles:eek:

Gremmie Oct 24th 2007 5:36 pm

Have found the driving hours regs:thumbup:
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partII/20.../sor313-e.html

Gremmie Oct 24th 2007 5:47 pm

And this for axel/dimesions ect.
http://www.comt.ca/english/programs/...MOU%202005.pdf

koogar Oct 24th 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila (Post 5461108)
Get the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, it is a wealth of information and will tell you everything you asked for as well as much more such as low bridges, restricted routes etc.
It's worth it's weight in gold but don't pay full price (circa $80) wait until the truck stops discount them, i paid $29
if you want any specific info now, i can help
Andy

Excellent atlas, the only one I used (other than local maps).
Make sure you get the deluxe version.
All the pages are laminated and it's well worth the extra if you're a clumsy as me :D

DAVIE_MAC Oct 24th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5463329)
Excellent atlas, the only one I used (other than local maps).
Make sure you get the deluxe version.
All the pages are laminated and it's well worth the extra if you're a clumsy as me :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...5L._SS500_.jpg

Is this the Badger

Amazon UK - £36.00

andy_sheila Oct 24th 2007 9:37 pm

Thats the one Dave,
Koog, i have the laminated one, i just forgot to mention it :rofl:

Rodger Rabbit Oct 25th 2007 8:15 am

Will pick one up over there when i land, saves more room for the wifes hair products!!!:p

Also i'll get the laminated one incase i spill tea on it while im holding it on the steering wheel:rofl:

koogar Oct 25th 2007 3:50 pm

California was the only state I worried about really for dimensions. If you're loading for there, you need to be careful.
California law says that the max distance from the kingpin to the centre of the rear trailer axle is 40 feet. Not a problem in itself (so long as you can get the trailer bogies to slide) but axle weights can then become an issue. You need to legalise the load for EVERY state you are running through before you leave the shipper, or at least close enough to the shipper that you can go back there if you can't get it legal.
I know of 1 driver who got the load in Saskatchewan, got the axle weights legal for Canada and the US (you can carry more weight in Canada) then ran all the way through Saskatchewan, Alberta, crossed at Sweetgrass into Montana, through Montana, Idaho, and Nevada then decided to slide the axles in Reno to make it legal before crossing into California. Yea, you guessed it, no way could he get it legal and he was now well over a thousand miles from the shipper.
Not a good day.

andy_sheila Oct 25th 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5467197)
California was the only state I worried about really for dimensions. If you're loading for there, you need to be careful.
California law says that the max distance from the kingpin to the centre of the rear trailer axle is 40 feet. Not a problem in itself (so long as you can get the trailer bogies to slide) but axle weights can then become an issue. You need to legalise the load for EVERY state you are running through before you leave the shipper, or at least close enough to the shipper that you can go back there if you can't get it legal.
I know of 1 driver who got the load in Saskatchewan, got the axle weights legal for Canada and the US (you can carry more weight in Canada) then ran all the way through Saskatchewan, Alberta, crossed at Sweetgrass into Montana, through Montana, Idaho, and Nevada then decided to slide the axles in Reno to make it legal before crossing into California. Yea, you guessed it, no way could he get it legal and he was now well over a thousand miles from the shipper.
Not a good day.

I haven't been to Ca yet Koog, are the coops open 24/7 like the impression you get from other drivers?

Tip: Slide the tandems so that the mudflap is at the 48ft (marked on most trailers) mark if loaded to the door, then scale and if your axle weights are legal then you will be legal anywhere. If you are not loaded to the back door, have the mudflaps as close to the end of the load as possible so the end pallet is over your tandem.

koogar Oct 25th 2007 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila (Post 5468052)
I haven't been to Ca yet Koog, are the coops open 24/7 like the impression you get from other drivers?

Tip: Slide the tandems so that the mudflap is at the 48ft (marked on most trailers) mark if loaded to the door, then scale and if your axle weights are legal then you will be legal anywhere. If you are not loaded to the back door, have the mudflaps as close to the end of the load as possible so the end pallet is over your tandem.

Hello mate.
The POE West of Reno/Sparks asks to see everyones BOL and yes, they are mostly open.
They open/close/open/close when it's busy and the queue gets too long.
I never had any problems but then, I was always legal :sneaky: