AUSTRALIA TRUCK DRIVING

Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default AUSTRALIA TRUCK DRIVING

Hi there, im sure there are many posts regarding my query but I cant find them
Basically my husband and I are hopefully moving to OZ this year and we were wondering how we go about getting his HGV class 1 swapped into their equivalent. We are looking at QLD, he has over 16 years experience driving HGVs.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 4th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice
Default Re: AUSTRALIA TRUCK DRIVING

Need to resit the tests unfortunately. The only thing you can swap is a car licence. Thats all I know.

Dont have any links myself, but Im sure google would help with the finding the local driver licencing agency, of where you are going.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wilson01
Basically my husband and I are hopefully moving to OZ this year and we were wondering how we go about getting his HGV class 1 swapped into their equivalent. We are looking at QLD, he has over 16 years experience driving HGVs.

Thanks in advance
If my senial memory serves me correctly it was QLD truckers union which forced the OZ Gov to put a block on immigrant drivers going to OZ to drive... just get him to practice his OZ accent before you go and he should be all right they dont like the Pommy truckers over there they think they are a hazard on the roads and are inexperienced....
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
If my senial memory serves me correctly it was QLD truckers union which forced the OZ Gov to put a block on immigrant drivers going to OZ to drive... just get him to practice his OZ accent before you go and he should be all right they dont like the Pommy truckers over there they think they are a hazard on the roads and are inexperienced....

Which most of them are
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
Need to resit the tests unfortunately.
Which will test your ability to tailgate (less than 6m) any vehicle at 110Km/Hour.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Which most of them are
Says the English / Swiss / German sprekker / Canadian trucker....
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Thanks in advance
i take it that you have some trade/qualification which is getting you to australia and are not relying on the truck driving ?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karron
i take it that you have some trade/qualification which is getting you to australia and are not relying on the truck driving ?
Yes, Im a Nurse and we going based on my visa application
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Which will test your ability to tailgate (less than 6m) any vehicle at 110Km/Hour.
What does tailgate mean? Just asked my husband who has driven a HGV for over 16 years and as far as hes concerned, tailgating is illegal as its driving right behind someone Well at least in UK it is.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

What does tailgate mean? Just asked my husband who has driven a HGV for over 16 years and as far as hes concerned, tailgating is illegal as its driving right behind someone Well at least in UK it is.
Yes that it correct I think it was meant as a sarcastic comment..
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Ah right, sarcasm! But why? Why are they so threatened by UK drivers? My hub drives an 18m wagon and drag and has to very carefully navigate the tiniest of villages. Hes confident and really excells at his job. Shame we're getting a few negative comments, however, not enough nor will there ever be to put us off
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah right, sarcasm! But why? Why are they so threatened by UK drivers? My hub drives an 18m wagon and drag and has to very carefully navigate the tiniest of villages. Hes confident and really excells at his job. Shame we're getting a few negative comments, however, not enough nor will there ever be to put us off
I used to have a lot of info on the truck driving scene for OZ but after I got in touch with the transportation people out there and nothing came of the 100 test cases they were going to admit we sacked it and came to Canada instead. If I can find any of the info I had I'll post it or it might even be onhthe trucking forum somewhere as it was quite a while ago.

Basicly the OZ drivers believe if they import a lot of drivers from overseas then it will have a detrimental affect on the OZ trucking scene i.e. driving wages down, dangerous inexperienced drivers on the roads, poor wages will stop locals from going into the industry etc etc just the same as what they say about the poles in the UK or the overseas drivers coming to Canada.

It all bollx of course they reason there is such a shortage of drivers in these countries is because the job is so unappealing to the youngsters they cant get the younger generation into the industry simple as but the unions wont admit to that in OZ so there is still a shortage and they say they will fill the gaps with young OZ drivers, of course they never will coz they dont want to bloody do it. So round and round it goes.

On of the drivers here in Canada got asked to do a talk to some college kids about life trucking in Canada and the carreers office said to him before he spoke "For Gods sake dont tell them how many hours a week you work or they will never be interested in a life as a truck driver".

Im sure you'll be fine as your going as the main applicant I would think so your OH will be able to get a job no probs.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Feb 8th 2010 at 2:13 am.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes we do have a lot of foreign drivers in the UK so in some respects I do sympathise with Oz drivers. My husband just accepts that there are people looking to make a better life for themselves and moving to the UK is what many of them have done. His wages in the UK are very low and he works 50 hours a week at basic pay! He knows first hand the perils of the road and the breakdown of communication due to most not speaking English and as part of the EU not needing to either! He knows how it has impacted on his wages and that if hes not happy with the pay then there will always be a foreign person waiting to fill his boots. However, I do wish Oz drivers wouldn't tar all foreign drivers to the same brush! Like you said, what they say is just bollx! We're moving to Oz and hes going to get a job driving a truck in Oz whether they like it or not
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:16 pm
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bin there dunnit!

He will have to re-take his test using a non-synchro gearbox.

Aussie truck firms will treat him like a young boy REGARDLESS of how long he has held his licenses and how much experience he has - get used to the idea now!

Aussie truck drivers are a special breed - all think the world revolves around them! Some of them however, are VERY skilled drivers!

If it's Brisbane your in try, Russells Tpt at Eagle Farm or Booth's Tpt at Rocklea. Both come recommended personally.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Part of my duties also include's screening drivers and still I am amazed at the number of drivers who let their spouses do the interview How on earth does Mrs ?? know if her hubby as in this case "excells" at his job or not did he tell her " I excell at my job"
Not a dig at Mrs Wilson, but I just find it strange that so many women have to find their spouses a job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.