Arriving in Canada soon

Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving in Canada soon

Ok, as time ticks on and the big day approaches I'm trying to get everything right.

Question one.

When I arrive in Canada and go for my TWP with my LMO etc what other supporting documents do they require there and then? I'm led to believe that its only the LMO but others have said I also need a copy of my offer of employment too? Also, do I need an ACPO cert thats less than 3 months old, as mine will be just under 5 months old by then. Or is that only important at the PNP/PR stage?

Question two.

What documents do you guys advise me to have, especially concerning PR later on?

So far I have.....

ACPO cert (will get an up to date one when the time comes)
SAR (dont think thats relevant anymore?)
Certified copy of my birth certificate
School exam results certificate
References or employment confirmations from most jobs
DVLA abstract (in the post now, hopefully)

Can anyone think of anything else they needed? I really dont want to have to try and get hold of things once I'm already over there.

Is there any need to take pay slips and things like that from previous UK jobs?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving in Canada soon

Originally Posted by coritani
Ok, as time ticks on and the big day approaches I'm trying to get everything right.

Question one.

When I arrive in Canada and go for my TWP with my LMO etc what other supporting documents do they require there and then? I'm led to believe that its only the LMO but others have said I also need a copy of my offer of employment too? Also, do I need an ACPO cert thats less than 3 months old, as mine will be just under 5 months old by then. Or is that only important at the PNP/PR stage?

Question two.

What documents do you guys advise me to have, especially concerning PR later on?

So far I have.....

ACPO cert (will get an up to date one when the time comes)
SAR (dont think thats relevant anymore?)
Certified copy of my birth certificate
School exam results certificate
References or employment confirmations from most jobs
DVLA abstract (in the post now, hopefully)

Can anyone think of anything else they needed? I really dont want to have to try and get hold of things once I'm already over there.

Is there any need to take pay slips and things like that from previous UK jobs?

Thanks.
Answer 1, read all the CIC pages again and again and again or put this post on the immigration part of BE the real experts hover arround their waiting for prey like you,,,
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Answer 1, read all the CIC pages again and again and again or put this post on the immigration part of BE the real experts hover arround their waiting for prey like you,,,
I asked it here specifically because most people over there enter Canada as skilled workers or apply for PR before they even leave UK and have totally different entry requirements etc. Then it just gets confused as they say that things are needed, when other drivers who have gone already have said they are not because we go via twp and then pnp. I want an answer specific to truck drivers, from people who have done it, the way we do it.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

twp at poe ..take lmo, passport,money, job offer,where going to be living address (it helps belive me). and a smile..
make sure u get ref from work before leaving work.. wont be needed till pnp/pr time.
police check wait until needed ,my opinion anyway..

Last edited by jamesmc; Apr 14th 2009 at 8:14 pm. Reason: duh
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamesmc
twp at poe ..take lmo, passport,money, job offer,where going to be living address (it helps belive me). and a smile..
make sure u get ref from work before leaving work.. wont be needed till pnp/pr time.
Cheers James,

Is the offer of employment the same thing as the contract that I had to sign and send back for the LMO? I presume that the ACPO cert isn't required then. I ask about that because I'm thinking of renewing my passport for one of the new ones with the chip on the front cover, in which case the passport number on my current ACPO cert wouldn't match.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

All I was asked for was the LMO ..But I had the contract of employment with me and a current CRC. All depends on what mood the Immigration Officer is in at the time , And that will also affect the lenth of Work Permit as well, Some get 12 months, some get 2 years I had heard someone getting a 6 month WP ...
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
I had heard someone getting a 6 month WP ...
Seriously??? Thats pathetic!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Just followed Gremmies advice and spent the last six hours reading as much as my eyes can stand. Now I have a new question. Suppose I get a 12 month work permit and after 6 months apply for PNP and after 3 or 4 months hear back to say that the PNP has been accepted. That leaves 2 or 3 months on my work permit. So, once PNP has been accepted, does that mean I then have to run out the rest of my current work permit and then get my company to apply for a new LMO with the risk of rejection, meaning everything is up and I have to return or does the acceptance of PNP by the New Brunswick provincial government mean that I will be guaranteed a work permit until actual PR has been accepted or denied, which will probably be quite a few months after the original 12 month work permit is up.

Also, wouldn't the issue of a mere six month work permit put a spanner in the whole works and make it a pointless exercise? If HRSDC dont agree to extend your work permit, you wouldn't even get the chance to apply for PNP, let alone be denied it later on.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Just followed Gremmies advice and spent the last six hours reading as much as my eyes can stand. Now I have a new question. Suppose I get a 12 month work permit and after 6 months apply for PNP and after 3 or 4 months hear back to say that the PNP has been accepted. That leaves 2 or 3 months on my work permit. So, once PNP has been accepted, does that mean I then have to run out the rest of my current work permit and then get my company to apply for a new LMO with the risk of rejection, meaning everything is up and I have to return or does the acceptance of PNP by the New Brunswick provincial government mean that I will be guaranteed a work permit until actual PR has been accepted or denied, which will probably be quite a few months after the original 12 month work permit is up.

Also, wouldn't the issue of a mere six month work permit put a spanner in the whole works and make it a pointless exercise? If HRSDC dont agree to extend your work permit, you wouldn't even get the chance to apply for PNP, let alone be denied it later on.
Just apply for another WP when you need one, Keep doing that till you have PR
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Just apply for another WP when you need one, Keep doing that till you have PR
Is it always that simple? We're beginning to hear now that people are having trouble getting LMO's issued due to rising unemployment for Canadians etc. I'd hate to only get a six or twelve permit and then have HRSDC then not issue a new LMO for another work permit to allow for my application for PNP and PR run its course.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Is it always that simple? We're beginning to hear now that people are having trouble getting LMO's issued due to rising unemployment for Canadians etc. I'd hate to only get a six or twelve permit and then have HRSDC then not issue a new LMO for another work permit to allow for my application for PNP and PR run its course.
You only need a new LMO if you change employer , Not for an existing WP renewed
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

You only need a new LMO if you change employer , Not for an existing WP renewed
But doesn't the CIC site say that you need a new LMO? So that they can make sure you've got any relevent wage increases and that there aren't any Canadians who can be employed by that time? If not then, no problem, easy peasy!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

But doesn't the CIC site say that you need a new LMO?
Dunno I've never read it ..

Just going on personal experience and what other drivers have told me
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Dunno I've never read it ..

Just going on personal experience and what other drivers have told me
So what was the process of renewing your work permit?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

You either go down to the border and re-enter Canada, Or apply to Vergreville AB ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.