British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Are all the old originals now out to graze :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/all-old-originals-now-out-graze-931584/)

DAVIE_MAC Mar 8th 2020 12:11 am

Are all the old originals now out to graze :)

Hi all,

Well its been a good few years since I stuck my nose in on these forums and the trucking section and it looks sad when I see the Trucking section seems to have died a death these days.

Back in 2007ish when I first joined (I think) the forum was booming with truckers all moving out from the UK, jobs galore and apart from BC you could really take your pick as to were you wanted to settle. For me it was PEI. So I just wondered not being up to date with things, what has happened to the opportunities to emigrate as a trucker. What has happened to the PNP route I moved out on, has that stream all now been closed. Are there no LMO's available any more for trucking as many of us received. Back then once you got your LMO you were off within weeks, land and get your WP at the airport.

There used to be some great banter on here between the guys all having a laugh and a joke, Gremmie slagging off Big Truck... LOL I used to really enjoy following Cougers Blog looking back over the years from when he first arrived in Canada, Guys posting their pictures and stories of their travels etc great times.

Just curious as to where everyone are now and what has happened to the trucking route into Canada, not that Im looking to move back just wondered how everyone was doing really, whats happened tot he industry / emigration routes and where all the Old original moaners have gone :)

Cheers Dave

Kiowan Apr 2nd 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Are all the old originals now out to graze :)

You mean "Cougar_boots" blog? That was one of the first I read way back in 2006 when I first started entertaining the idea, and Lyndon's, there was also a guy who went out to New Brunswick for Ayr who had a blog that I read. I think Cougar moved to Montana and the guy at Ayr went back to UK as the company sucked.

I only came over 4 years ago in the end after just putting it all on the back burner, but even when I started the process, which was 5 years ago now, as it took a good 8 months to complete the PNP stuff, it was very difficult to find jobs. I had the option of about 3 companies, 2 in MB and one in NB. Since I came over it has gone through periods where other companies got some LMIAs (LMO) but it's very infrequent and Alberta is almost impossible which is rightly so as unemployment is at about 7%, hard to justify importing more labour when you can't employ your own people. Now with the virus stuff going on and the likely deliberate destruction of thousands of businesses through a global fear program I can see it being impossible to come over at all as a truck driver.

alandoug Jun 29th 2020 6:24 am

Re: Are all the old originals now out to graze :)

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 12817579)
Hi all,

Well its been a good few years since I stuck my nose in on these forums and the trucking section and it looks sad when I see the Trucking section seems to have died a death these days.

Back in 2007ish when I first joined (I think) the forum was booming with truckers all moving out from the UK, jobs galore and apart from BC you could really take your pick as to were you wanted to settle. For me it was PEI. So I just wondered not being up to date with things, what has happened to the opportunities to emigrate as a trucker. What has happened to the PNP route I moved out on, has that stream all now been closed. Are there no LMO's available any more for trucking as many of us received. Back then once you got your LMO you were off within weeks, land and get your WP at the airport.

There used to be some great banter on here between the guys all having a laugh and a joke, Gremmie slagging off Big Truck... LOL I used to really enjoy following Cougers Blog looking back over the years from when he first arrived in Canada, Guys posting their pictures and stories of their travels etc great times.

Just curious as to where everyone are now and what has happened to the trucking route into Canada, not that Im looking to move back just wondered how everyone was doing really, whats happened tot he industry / emigration routes and where all the Old original moaners have gone :)

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,
I’m still out here in Alberta. 8 years & just renewing my PR card.

Owner Op for the last 2 years. Should have done that years before I did .

How you doing?