British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/alberta-873217/)

neilcumming Feb 24th 2016 2:45 pm

Alberta

I know there are few drivers in AB on these threads and would like to know what the situation there is regarding work.I am a PR since 2010 so not looking for LMIA,thanks

neilg14 Feb 24th 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Alberta

I look on Kijiji Calgary regularly and going back 18mths there was always 1000 - 1300 jobs advertised under driver/security.
Just looked now and there's 523.
Obviously a lot of jobs get filled quick by the ex oilfield workers but there are still jobs available.

Juggernaut1064 Feb 24th 2016 9:41 pm

What kind you looking for, vans, decks, tankers ?

neilcumming Feb 25th 2016 3:09 pm

On Kijiji Calgary there are a lot of drivers posting their own ads looking for work and what I hear from mates living there things not looking good.I worked there last year for Swift Transportation Canada Inc. (the american company) but they closed down the canadian division.I have done reefers before but would rather just do vans.

morgank Mar 3rd 2016 7:16 pm

Its seems years ago getting lmia then lmo jobs was easy....I've been searching for trucking companies willing to give me an lmia to no success. ...I've been making non-stop calls. ...sending emails but nothing. ...

neilcumming Mar 4th 2016 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by morgank (Post 11885713)
Its seems years ago getting lmia then lmo jobs was easy....I've been searching for trucking companies willing to give me an lmia to no success. ...I've been making non-stop calls. ...sending emails but nothing. ...

Are you in UK or Canada? There are some companies with LMIAs for drivers already in Canada and I just read somewhere Canada Cartage have LMIAs.

morgank Mar 5th 2016 5:35 am

Neil my situation is a little different from all other drivers on here coz I'm currently in East Africa Kenya as of now........and yes I did email Canada cartage..I'm hoping to get a good response. ..previously like 2 yrs ago I had a chance to get on with Transx and Bison but something came up and those 2 companies passed me I don't have any regrets as I had to attend to that matter,now more than ever I want to make these big move....

neilcumming Mar 5th 2016 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by morgank (Post 11886821)
Neil my situation is a little different from all other drivers on here coz I'm currently in East Africa Kenya as of now........and yes I did email Canada cartage..I'm hoping to get a good response. ..previously like 2 yrs ago I had a chance to get on with Transx and Bison but something came up and those 2 companies passed me I don't have any regrets as I had to attend to that matter,now more than ever I want to make these big move....

Ok, if you dont get a reply to your email I suggest phoning them as alot of these larger companies dont reply to emails much.Good luck

morgank Mar 7th 2016 1:26 pm

Sure thing....I'm going to call...but if anyone of you truckers get any info on trucking lmias Please share. .....Thanks.

neilcumming Mar 8th 2016 6:01 pm

Just saw this on Kijiji
ARE YOU A FOREIGN WORKER LOOKING FOR AN LMIA? | driver, security | Calgary | Kijiji
Dont know if it will help anyone,$8000 is a lot pay

neilg14 Mar 9th 2016 10:47 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11889896)
Just saw this on Kijiji
ARE YOU A FOREIGN WORKER LOOKING FOR AN LMIA? | driver, security | Calgary | Kijiji
Dont know if it will help anyone,$8000 is a lot pay

Neil, this has got scam written all over it, $8,000 for 14 days training, that most of us paid $1500 - $2000, no mention of a job afterwards, besides it's 100% illegal to charge anyone for finding them a job.

morgank Mar 9th 2016 11:41 am

Thats alot of money. .......that money could be a down payment of a truck to becone an o/o........$8000 is a lot.

neilcumming Mar 9th 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11890458)
Neil, this has got scam written all over it, $8,000 for 14 days training, that most of us paid $1500 - $2000, no mention of a job afterwards, besides it's 100% illegal to charge anyone for finding them a job.

You maybe right,click on that link and the ad has disappeared.I remember Bisons immigration lawyer charging $8000 for training and LMOs then went up to $10,000.I know some people are desperate to stay in Canada but hell mend them if they are scamming people!

neilg14 Mar 9th 2016 8:43 pm

And TransX back in 2006 were charging £6000, about 50 drivers in the room ran out like it was on fire.

neilcumming Mar 10th 2016 3:41 pm

Lol thats funny