British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Alberta?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/alberta-783639/)

Madjock76 Jan 13th 2013 6:15 pm

Alberta?!

I've been told that the Albertan state government won't give out any permanent residencies, only temporary work permits. Then I've seen threads here saying that people are having interviews for companies in Calgary!

Could someone clear this up!

Thanks

garvs11 Jan 13th 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Alberta?!

Provinces dont give out PR thats upto the the Government in Buffalo,Provinces only offer Pnp which is a nominee which is supposed to fast track you towards PR.Dont get the 2 mixed up,you can apply for residency without a PNP nomination i just takes you longer.Im not sure if there holding back with the nominations.

kb33 Jan 13th 2013 7:17 pm

Alberta dosen't give out PR , Its the Federal government that process's your application for PR.

But to apply for PR you have to get nominated by the Albertan AINP scheme , Which gives you the right to apply for Permanent Residency, Just google AINP and have a read . The criteria for AINP nomination is slightly stricter than other Provinces, Plus they keep changing the rules .

TWP permits are given out at the border by the border guards , To get one you will need an LMO from your employer in Canada .

Still confused ?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Madjock76 Jan 13th 2013 10:01 pm

I've taken a job in Saskatchewan (starting march) I said I'd visited Calgary & loved the area & they said they'd love to recruit for their Calgary depot but can't get anyone in permanently because Ab federal govt won't allow them to

Would this be because they're not involved in ANIP? I'm led to believe that Loblaw are a pretty big company & can't see why they wouldn't be able to get onto ANIP

kb33 Jan 13th 2013 10:21 pm

AFAIK Loblaws are only recruiting in Regina , Sounds like the company you have been offered a job cant get LMO's in Alberta , They have to prove they are unable to recruit local workers to do the job .

alandoug Jan 14th 2013 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madjock76 (Post 10481130)
I've taken a job in Saskatchewan (starting march) I said I'd visited Calgary & loved the area & they said they'd love to recruit for their Calgary depot but can't get anyone in permanently because Ab federal govt won't allow them to

Would this be because they're not involved in ANIP? I'm led to believe that Loblaw are a pretty big company & can't see why they wouldn't be able to get onto ANIP

For Alberta AINP you need to be able to prove a high school education, the muted standard is 5 O levels. Though I cannot find this mentioned on any official site. If not you must take the GED (General Education Diploma) in Canada, google it & all is explained. Basic cost is $150. Also you need to take the IELTS test to prove you can speak basic English, set in UK by Cambridge University, it can be taken in the UK. Cost in Canada is $285 in Calgary. I'm told its easy, but Alberta still want UK citizens to take it.
I asked VRV who are a well known immigration agent in Alberta for approximate timescales. They said 4 months to get AINP granted, then 20 months to get PR, if all criteria are met first time & no other problems.

It is a lot quicker in other provinces if the guys I've spoken to are anything to go by. I know of 2 friends on PEI who got PR in a year after arriving. Alberta do seem to make it just as bloody awkward as they possibly can to get PR, but not impossible. The 2 most recent I've spoken to have taken well over 3 years. I think some of the trouble in Alberta is employer driven, as most people change companies after PR. You cannot change companies in Alberta once the process is started without going back to square one. Giving the employer a huge amount of leverage over you. Not something that sits well with me. Other provinces you can change within the province only. Looking at the way Manitoba treat people as opposed to Alberta is like different countries!!

Garvs is right once passed nomination your application is Federal, not Provincial. However, in Alberta the employer must have a finger in the pie, as one family I spoke to who left H&R said they withdrew their support as soon as he resigned. This meant they lost all fees paid to that point & had to start again with his new employer.

Do your research before you commit. The biggest ADVANTAGE with Alberta is they let your spouse work from day one.

Only you can decide!!

Madjock76 Jan 14th 2013 7:00 pm

Tbh I'm hoping the wife won't have to work! I've been over a couple of times & I've been looking into this for about 7 years but its not easy from over here. Loblaw David they'd love to recruit for their Calgary depot but are having trouble getting lmo for Alberta, they've said once we get pr then if we want to then they'll help us relocate

mickfly Jan 14th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madjock76 (Post 10482737)
Tbh I'm hoping the wife won't have to work! I've been over a couple of times & I've been looking into this for about 7 years but its not easy from over here. Loblaw David they'd love to recruit for their Calgary depot but are having trouble getting lmo for Alberta, they've said once we get pr then if we want to then they'll help us relocate

Might not be what it seems.
Loblaws are probably desperate for drivers in Regina, so won't take on new foreign drivers for Calgary.

Madjock76 Jan 14th 2013 7:52 pm

Could be but if it gets my foot in the door then I'm fine with that!!

kb33 Jan 14th 2013 10:54 pm

I bet the Loblaws job in Calgary wouldn't come under the long haul rule , So no LMO , Nomination or PR , Think they have an agreement with the SK government for the job in Regina .

One Truckers wage in Calgary wont get you very far either , Its expensive to live out here and no place to be poor , Theres lots more to do and see here so you find yourself getting out and about on days off , All of which costs $$$

Start up costs can soon run into the thousands , so do your maths carefully.

IMO The Alberta government want you to come over for two to three years , Then go back home , They see the driver shortage as temporary , Which we all know is BS.