Advise on Canada

Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

L3v1s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on Canada

Hello everybody, I follow this forum for a while and finally decided to "shoot" you with a question. I'm planning to try to find a job as a trucker in Canada probably in a year or two ( I know that the situation there is thought and it will probably get tougher, but I really want to try and will never forgive myself if I don't). I currently have two offers for a class 1 job here in UK. One is for a fridge trailer and the other one is for a flatbed. So basically my question is which of these two types of job are more in demand in Canada and which one will give me better chance to find a job there. It probably doesn't make big difference, but when the chances are smaller "every penny counts". Thank you.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on Canada

There is more work for fridge trailers in Canada or reefers as they are known.On the other hand the money is better for flatdeck drivers.I would take the flatbed job as its very easy to learn how to set a reefer ,check engine oil,filling up the belly tank.Not even 1hr to learn it .
Old Jan 11th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
There is more work for fridge trailers in Canada or reefers as they are known.On the other hand the money is better for flatdeck drivers.I would take the flatbed job as its very easy to learn how to set a reefer ,check engine oil,filling up the belly tank.Not even 1hr to learn it .
Agree with this though why anyone out here does flatbed work, I don't understand.
I wouldn't do that job for double the money they get paid.
I drive past Lafarge in Calgary about 8 times a night and see them tarping & strapping outside, the other night -37*C, **** that, I take my hat to them.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Lol -37C, dont say that,the guy wont come over.Although its artic cold,it is sunny!
I suppose you could do reefer or van work in the winter then jump ship and do flatdeck in summer ,just a thought.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Flat deck every time. Way better work than reefers out here. More work, less waiting around. Reefer work is bloody ridiculous amounts of being messed about by morons.
You get used to the work & it does you good to get the exercise. If I move companies it will be another flat deck outfit