British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   advice needed\draw-bar or artic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/advice-needed%5Cdraw-bar-artic-698608/)

Fitzy0808 Dec 30th 2010 3:48 pm

advice needed\draw-bar or artic

hello guys, just neede some help.
i'm about to take my class 1 licence, the company i took my class 2 with is advising me to take my lessons and test in a draw-bar set up, this doesnt make sense to me as i want to drive articulated lorries.
what do you guys think, advice would be very very welcome, i'm confused.:confused:

dreadsoc Dec 30th 2010 3:56 pm

Re: advice needed\draw-bar or artic

Hi Fitzy

Welcome to BE.

I am sorry I cannot answer your question as I haven't the faintest about trucking.
HOWEVER do not despair as we have a TRUCKING FORUM on BE where I am sure someone will be able to answer your question.
You will find the trucking forum by clicking the 'forum index' tab on the pink bar at the top of this page. This takes you to a list of all the forums. Scroll down past all the country names and you will see a section entitled 'Working abroad by Profession'. Underneath this you will see the word 'Trucking' - double click on this and you're in. Once there just repost your question and I am sure you will soon have some replies.

Good luck

Dread - x

nwtrucker Dec 30th 2010 10:24 pm

I'm presuming your talking about driving in the UK? There are comparatively few drawbar wagons around now and they are quite a different animal to Artic. I would stick to your guns if i were you and insist on artic, there'll be lots more opportunities. Good luck

Jonka Jan 1st 2011 9:28 am

Had the same 'advice' when I was taking my test...(I had already driven 'Draw-bars' in a previous life when they were still old Class II or III. So when I took my Class I (CE or whatever you want ), I was just driving something I'd done on many occasions over 15 years on the ClassII!!:) Two ways to look at it, they say its easier/quicker to learn using the draw-bar (as long as its not the 'A Frame' steer axle bastard reverse type!) So this way you get your CE Licence ,but then have the problem of finding someone (usually agency;) who can find you work on an artic after you've not used one?! Usually have to prove yourself as a shunter somewhere (not a bad learning curve... its what I did at first, and they soon get you on the road if your coping ok, as was in my case.. coupla days. Actually I have never driven a Draw-Bar since passing my CE in one anyway come to think of it!
However seeing that you asked on here and you are probably thinking of jumping over to N.America, I would think you might as well get your Artic/ 'Semi' / Tractor/trailor style Test anyway. Either way I am sure Canadian companies would like to see the 2/3/4 or 5 years experience req' knocked off on this type of vehicle.
So good luck anyway, get a couple of years UK Class I experience and keep up to date with all the action across the pond

spockil Jan 2nd 2011 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Fitzy0808 (Post 9067632)
hello guys, just neede some help.
i'm about to take my class 1 licence, the company i took my class 2 with is advising me to take my lessons and test in a draw-bar set up, this doesnt make sense to me as i want to drive articulated lorries.
what do you guys think, advice would be very very welcome, i'm confused.:confused:

well which ever test you do it is same licence CE so even if you pass on wagon and drag you can still drive artic. it all depends on ur learning system some people find it easier doing test in rigid then just sticking trailer on back for artic whilst others like artics but sometimes there is a difference in transmissions. just depends which you prefer and how much each will cost£££££££

cargomatic Jan 8th 2011 1:37 am

Learn and take your test in an artic. its what i did, that way you learn in what you intend to drive and will be comfortable when you come to pass and drive on your own.

DyslexicDOG Jan 24th 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Fitzy,

Do the Artic test, I was working doing Wagon and Drags for a few years previous to doing my Artic and there is a difference in reversing (not hard but different) .

If you are looking for Artic work without having any experience have a look at TRG The Recruit Group (nope I ain't drumming up business for them, I left them a few weeks ago), they do superdrug contract if you can pass the assessment then you are in.