Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

That’s it – I am out of the UK (Getting far too expensive)

That’s it – I am out of the UK (Getting far too expensive)

Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That’s it – I am out of the UK (Getting far too expensive)

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
Settle down Lisa, like you say, get the Pounds while you can as it worth double in Canada, thats my exact thinking.

Don't worry about Gremmie, he is just another ex pommy who is tramping throughout the USA and Canada trying to learn the lingo of the land, his words are at times direct but all in good fun.
At least the person i was speaking to got my humour.
Lisa go to the bottom of the class

Last edited by Gremmie; Aug 1st 2008 at 1:20 pm. Reason: Put Kevs name in instead of Lisa...ooops
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stickystickman
Hope you don't mind me picking and choosing which parts to quote you from but the above is what cheeses me about the UK at the moment, but, and it's a big but, is it actually any better in Canada? The old grass is greener debate. Surely there must be problems in Canada which would/could cheese a hard working person off? What's their council tax equivelant and how much does it compare? I know wages are pretty much similar to here and hope the cost of living is lower, but what of hidden costs? Healthcare insurance? Food? Electricity? Speed Cameras? Road Tax? You get the idea.

The cost of living isn't the only reason I'm looking at Canada, but it certainly helps.
Bloody good point,,no the grass isnt greener,,its just been better mowed and maintained.
So not the same,offcourse Canada is no El Dorado those who think it will be are going to be very dissapointed.
BUT it is just about in every aspect nicer,friendlier,cleaner,cheeper.
Hidden costs.... Healthcare is dedcted from ya wages, Food big choice and prces ok..Electicity i think expensive..Speed Cams etc..you brake the law you pay..Road Tax,,not sure about that,,i think it is either in with ya car insurance or the general taxes... Taxes are taken directly from ya wages,which u can then claim back at the end of the year ( tip,,get an accountant,,costs about $200 but u get alot more back)
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:29 am
Just Joined

ronjo_007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bigwheels241,

Thank you for your comments they're most helpful, Ive not got the hang of this site yet so apologies if it seems a little green lol. I'll take a look at that site of mr Linfox, my mate told me about it because he is just waiting to sell his house then he and the family are off to NZ. Trouble is I can never catch him at work (different shifts) to get the full SP, he is going to be working for Shell through Linfox I think, Ive tried all manner of ways on the net and I just get pissed off and square eyed just looking at different things, I only fell on this site by chance lol. Anyway thx for the info I'll try again.

Cheers Bigwheels
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ronjo_007
Hi Bigwheels241,
= he is going to be working for Shell through Linfox I think, Ive tried all manner of ways on the net and I just get pissed off and square eyed just looking at different things, I only fell on this site by chance lol. Anyway thx for the info I'll try again.

Cheers Bigwheels
Linfox, much like DHL in UK, they take on contracts as subbies and run the distribution under their own colours, I have a relly in Australia who works for Mr Fox, been with them 22 years and loves it, but like any job, you either like or dislike it, best of luck, PM me if you want assistance and I will try answer them.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Location: Colchester, U.K. heading towards sunny Saskatoon.....
demontrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
Linfox, much like DHL in UK, they take on contracts as subbies and run the distribution under their own colours, I have a relly in Australia who works for Mr Fox, been with them 22 years and loves it, but like any job, you either like or dislike it, best of luck, PM me if you want assistance and I will try answer them.
Hey people, yes i'm new to this site altho i have been using other 'similar' sites for a little while. I have a quick question for bigwheels if i may...
You saud you had 7 interviews offered? Could i ask which companies these were with or their websites as i have sent a couple of online applications off but havent heard anything back yet.
Im a UK approved electrician but also have my HGV license with over 6 years employed experience as a driver, and this seems to be a slightly less complicated and quicker way to get myself into canada.
Do you apply for jobs before starting any paperwork at all?
How quick can it all happen? I ask this as I am single and no financial ties/mortgage etc, and can be packed and ready to ship out in a week or so.
Hope anyone could help and point me in right direction,
Thanks
Craig
Old Aug 14th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by demontrucker
Hey people, yes i'm new to this site altho i have been using other 'similar' sites for a little while. I have a quick question for bigwheels if i may...
You saud you had 7 interviews offered? Could i ask which companies these were with or their websites as i have sent a couple of online applications off but havent heard anything back yet.
Im a UK approved electrician but also have my HGV license with over 6 years employed experience as a driver, and this seems to be a slightly less complicated and quicker way to get myself into canada.
Do you apply for jobs before starting any paperwork at all?
How quick can it all happen? I ask this as I am single and no financial ties/mortgage etc, and can be packed and ready to ship out in a week or so.
Hope anyone could help and point me in right direction,
Thanks
Craig
Your a Sparkie, then in Canada / NZ and Australia, you can get a job with ease doing this, rather than a Driver, why would you consider a driving job to being employed as an electrictian?

PM me and I can offer you more serious direct info, and my brother who runs his own sparkie business in Darwin NT will employ you.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Just tried to pm you but havent made 3 posts yet so this is number 2 hehe
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demontrucker
Just tried to pm you but havent made 3 posts yet so this is number 2 hehe

reply again make it 3
Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

and number 3