British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   YouTube TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/youtube-tv-924110/)

lansbury Apr 12th 2019 9:10 pm

YouTube TV

Does anyone use YouTube TV. Have the 14 day trial at the moment and the picture doesn't seem as sharp as off the satellite. Wondered if this was normal for YTTV or if I need to start tweaking settings.

Hotscot Apr 12th 2019 10:57 pm

Re: YouTube TV

Does it feed to your telly?

And I've got good surround system...I wonder if the surround audio is maintained...

lansbury Apr 13th 2019 5:44 am

The sound is ok certainly feeding all the speakers. Can't tell if the sound is being feed properly as not had a program, apart from F1 practice, which uses surround sound. The F1 sounded OK.

anotherlimey Apr 13th 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12669859)
Does anyone use YouTube TV. Have the 14 day trial at the moment and the picture doesn't seem as sharp as off the satellite. Wondered if this was normal for YTTV or if I need to start tweaking settings.

Not yet, but was thinking about it. I gave sling a try but the quality wasn't great.

So far only Netflix and Amazon have shown consistent quality for me.

lansbury Apr 13th 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12670188)
Not yet, but was thinking about it. I gave sling a try but the quality wasn't great.

So far only Netflix and Amazon have shown consistent quality for me.

The picture quality on YTTV is on a par with Netflix and Amazon. I use Sling in the football season to watch PAC-12, and I think YTTV is better quality, better IU and far better DVR.

Hotscot watching F1 practice the surround sound with YTTV via a Roku is better than DirecTV.

scottyvisa Apr 15th 2019 5:59 pm

I have YTTV and it has worked great for me so far, quality is normally great for us, but never had our TV hooked up to Satellite so can't say it's the same for sure, but looks great on a 55" 4K TV and feeds the soundbar with no issues. It's also become very useful for travelling too and when wife and I have different ideas on what to watch.

You joined just as they are jacking up the price though, it was $40 and is now $50, with a bunch of new channels. Still worth it for us, but less of a bargain.

lansbury Apr 15th 2019 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by scottyvisa (Post 12671309)

You joined just as they are jacking up the price though, it was $40 and is now $50, with a bunch of new channels. Still worth it for us, but less of a bargain.

It was the fact they included the Discovery channels that made me try it, so not bothered about the price increase. Still a lot cheaper than DirectTV. I adjusted the sharpness setting on the TV go the picture back to what I like. So far not liking no History channel and not being able to fast forward through recorded CBS programs. I need a log in for the History app on Roku, shame they don't sell separate subscriptions and you can only log in if your TV provider has the channel.

dee98 Apr 17th 2019 12:43 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12670314)
I use Sling in the football season to watch PAC-12, and I think YTTV is better quality, better IU and far better DVR.

That is the one thing I wish was better on Sling the UI needs a serious upgrade it's very glitchy and takes forever to scroll and move around. It seems YTTV has pretty much the same channels for a smoother experience it may be worth the switch!

Boomhauer Apr 17th 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12669859)

We have it at home. Like you say it doesn't feel as crisp, but that could be the difference between a TV and a computer monitor. The later is always going to have better image quality. I don't watch TV, only watch programs on the computer.