YouTube ad blitz

Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YouTube ad blitz

YouTube apparently thinks my risk of colon cancer has passed, but that I have a 5-10 year old child (or who knows maybe grandchildren? ) as I have been shown at least half a dozen 15 second unskippable ads for Hasbro board games such as Monopoly, Jenga, Connect 4, and Operation.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you, I thought that would be the case.
The ads can be pretty much any length, and I fairly regularly get full length music videos as the pre-video ad, so they can be 3-5 minutes, and about 10% of the Caroline Jones ads were "full song" ads, others were snippets of studio interviews, or part of a song.

I have also been shown a Fender P-Bass ad three or four times over the past year that is more of a documentary about the musical journey of discovery of two guys who got into rapping, sampling, and mixing, and then discovered the joy of making the source music themselves, using drums and a P-Bass.... and then sampling it! Anyway, that ad runs over 22 minutes!

ETA. A video I just now entry to watch on astronomy, the scientific subject, not the song, was preceded by a 3:50 "song" by Kendrick Lamar, which was less appealing to me than country music and also lacked the visual appeal of Caroline Jones videos.
Are you saying you couldn't skip a 22 minute ad?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

He's doing something wrong...
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
To be honest I download the videos, stick them on a ...stick, and then watch them on the telly.
Massive collection of music videos from 80's and 90's.

I have noticed a proliferation of ads that you cannot skip. But none more than about 30 seconds.
What do you use to download vids from YT? I've recently started using '4k Video Downloader' after various other solutions. So far, seems to be fairly reliable and non-invasive.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Used to use YTD but when it started nagging me to upgrade to pro I switched to 4K.
Been good ever since.

If I ever have to convert, for example downloaded videos, from 'other' places, I use 'Any Video Converter'.

My Blu-ray player has some difficulties with mkv so considering a newer media player for USB.
Recommendations welcome.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 20th 2019 at 5:17 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I normally watch YT on my laptop, and always have my mouse ready over the 'skip...' button. But on my last few road-trips, I've been "watching" (mainly listening) to YT videos on my phone while driving. It's too dangerous to be skipping the ads so I just let them play. One day a few weeks ago I got the same ad over and over, from some financial advice site, every other video.

The reason I use YT these days over other sources for music is, I find YT's 'recommendations' for subsequent material better than anything from Pandora, etc. YT manages to throw great follow-on material at me. The fact I can actually watch the music is secondary much of the time.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've been "watching" (mainly listening) to YT videos on my phone while driving.

Can you let me know your travel plans please?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying you couldn't skip a 22 minute ad?
No.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Hotscot
He's doing something wrong...
I have no idea why you posted that the first time, and even less idea why you repeated it.

Many of the ads I see are clearly derivative of the videos I watch and the use I make of Google and the internet. A small number of the music-related videos I see are "full song" videos, and given my musical taste, that is going to mean typically around 5 minutes +/-1 minute. Over the past year I might have been offered as many as half a dozen 20-30 minute "long-form" docu-ads, and I mean six total, not six different ads, so 3 or 4 of those six were the 22 minute P-Bass ad.

To reiterate and clarify, I started this thread to discuss the content/subject of ads, not their existence (or whether can I block them), or whether they are skippable. I am not especially interested in ad blockers - my experience is that they cause more problems than they solve, and I have few problems with unskippable ads, if anything I see few of those than I did last year, and in any case most are only 15 seconds.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I have no idea why you posted that the first time, and even less idea why you repeated it.

You're correct. I apologize.
You just can't beat the system.
I've tried.

Makes you wonder though..how can you get the ads that you want?
I seem to get ads for sexy models, lingerie and English skills services.
Mostly which I like...

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 20th 2019 at 5:36 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I've now installed pi hole on my raspberry pi. Serves as a dns server that blocks known ad domains. So far it's doing great on my phone.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 11:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I've now installed pi hole on my raspberry pi. Serves as a dns server that blocks known ad domains. So far it's doing great on my phone.
That has nothing to do with pie, does it?
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tom169
I've been using this rather simplistic, brute-force method to block ads for a few years now and very happy with it ...
Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:24 am

..... One day a few weeks ago I got the same ad over and over, from some financial advice site, every other video. ....
That's what I'm talking about! The same ad time after time, again, and again, and again, sometimes for a single day, like the Hasbro ads yesterday, and sometimes for months, like Caroline Jones last year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2019 at 12:36 am.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using this rather simplistic, brute-force method to block ads for a few years now and very happy with it ...
Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File
Same concept, just don't have easy access to a hosts file on a phone.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
That has nothing to do with pie, does it?
Unfortunately not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.