Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

www.airah.org.au/tec_tec_top_leg.asp
www.tapssa.com.au/appren.htm -
directory.yourestate.com.au/index_37
www.getaccess.westone.wa.gov.au/ careers/profiles/data/OCC38.asp
www.plumber.com.au/consumer/apprenticeships.asp
www.nethorde.com/plumbing/

These links mayor may not be of use in your research.
DG.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions for goose

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi M

I'm sure there's more, but here's a starting point for some costs you will incur in moving to Oz. (COsts are all rough estimates):

Visa application fee (incl medicals, etc)
Migration agent fees
Selling your UK house (legal fees, estate agent fees, etc) (£3-3.5k for a house worth £200k)
Air fares to Oz (£400 each for a one-way ticket; £600 return)
Shipping personal belongings and effects to Australia (£4k-5k - for a 20ft container, incl insurance, customs clearance costs, etc)
Renting/hotels in Oz on first arrival
House purchase in Oz
Stamp duty on house purchase (up to 7% depending on which state you go to)
Legal fees for house purchase
Other set up costs in Oz (cars, household purchases, etc)
Any period of unemployment where you are living off your savings

Good luck
**edited to add last point**
And an adverse exchange rate movement can really spoil your day.

Eg when going to Oz, you may end up buying $A at 2.5:£.

However, if you return to UK, the exchange rate may be, say, 2.8. Which, even if you hadn't spent a cent of your £150,000 is now worth only £134,000 - a loss of £16,000.

Of course, the exchange rate can move in your favour - the point is exchange rate movements can have a big impact on your wealth!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:28 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wombat42
The best thing to do is when you get to Adelaide, don't buy a house but rent a house for a year, put your $384,000 in the bank
with a fixed term interest rate of 5.5% you should get paid interest of $20,000. Use $10,000 to pay the cost of renting a house for a year and you will still have $10,000 left. If after a year you don't like Adelaide or Australia or can't get a good job there, you can go back to the UK with your $384,000 still intact and having lost little money.
That's good thinking - we will probably rent to start with anyway until we decide exactly where to live and find out feet!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

markaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: questions for goose

Originally posted by malpjc

Now thats a good post, go for it we did

hello goose,i have to agree with everyone else who has said how good your post is,i really appreciate what you are saying and cannot deny there is a tiny amount of doubt in the back of my mind about moving to aus.
however 6 years ago we were council tenants paying our weekly rent and one of my work mates said i was stupid paying rent,it was money i was never going to get back,i might as well be throwing it down the drain and that i should apply to the council to buy it off them.at that time i was working on a contract that was renewed every 3 years,my children were aged 14,12 and 9.the thought of having a mortgage and the worry of not being able to keep up with the payments and having the house repossesed was frightening,we spoke about the pro's and the con's and decided to go for it,if i had not have taken the chance i would'nt be in the position i am today,i have changed employers twice in my career,after going all through the better the devil you know stuff and again i would not be in the position i am now if i had stayed where i was.is it wrong to want to try and make a go of it,we know there are no guarantees of success,but if you don't try you don't get anything.
i don't understand why you think i cannot buy a house with a$384,000 thats roughly what £150,000 is at todays exchange rate,we have been looking for the last 3 weeks at properties in south australia on the internet and there are loads of them at a lot less than that and they do have amenities,schools,doctors and trains etc.
also i'm not sure of how you lose tens and tens of thousands of pounds,am i missing some important information,i admit i haven't worked out every single cost ,are there any hidden fees with anything to do with the move ,ie estate agent fees,taxes etc.
why did you leave australia to go to canada and not come straight back to the uk,why did you leave aus and why are you leaving canada,if it's because of family i can understand but i cannot understand if you think here is better.
you only live once is not baloney,how quick did your kids grow up or how long ago does it seem like you were at school,time bloody fliesand the older you get the quicker it goes,heating is not the only trade i have qualifications in and without sounding big headed i am confident of getting a job,i know i did not mention it before but i work for general electric and they have 4 places in australia so i am just putting a plan of action together to go down that route,the heating/plumbing would be a back up plan.i thought if plumbing/gas are on the migration skills list and they say there is a shortage there ,i would be able to find something,after reading various posts i now know that it is hard to get these jobs.
my wife does drive me nuts but she isn't on this,she wants to try a new way of life and wants to leave the uk in the same way that some people want to leave australia,i could sit back on what i have here doing the same old same while she gets more and more fed up but i don't think that's fair,i want to do what i can to make her happy,she has had no adult life of her own,what with having the kids early,and still bloody clearing up after them,she deserves to be given the opportunity to try and achieve what she wants.we have spoken about what it will mean if it all goes wrong and we are prepared to face it,we won't be returning to the uk so i don't have to worry about playing it safe and looking after what i have got here .
can you say why my wife will not think oz is still wonderful after spending 2 months there,i thought we had done the research well enough to think we could stay for at least a year before making any judgements,are any of your comments purely based on personal experiences,if you don't mind me asking ,how much money did you take when you went,how much do you think we would need.
i do not think you are going to be called a spoil sport etc,as i said before your post was very good and i really appreciate you taking the time to do it,but i can't decide not to go because it hasn't worked out for you,i am under no illusions whatsoever that this is going to be easy and there are going to be times when i will think to myself why didn't i listen to goose,he could be right.
i sincerely wish you all the best in returning to the uk,thanks again
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I agree with Goose. I think that if you are tempted to come over to Aus then you should at least try it first before selling your house and burning your bridges. If the temptation to sell is too much then at least bank your money less moving expenses. The cost of moving out inc removals, air fares, vehicles, rental bonds, stamp duty and costs if purchasing, living expenses etc has put us back to the tune of £25K at least. Not that we mind, we are enjoying our life out here - although we do intend on returning to the UK in 18 months or so. It is also worth noting that the property market here has slowed down considerably here so should you rush in, buy and then realise you have made a mistake - it could take months to sell, you may also make a loss. We see places around here (North Brisbane) on the market for months and months with practically no sold boards up anywhere.

My husband is a heating engineer and plumber, he has done a 3 year City and Guilds apprenticeship and upon arrival was told that he needs to study further. He has a provisional licence and has to complete a couple of units about Aussie drainage systems to get his full licence. This has cost us $250 but they do give you the option of doing this by correspondence and it is tax deductable. He has had no trouble getting any work - in Brisbane they are crying out for plumbers - even with a provisional licence. What I would say is that at a rate of $25 an hour - a good rate for here it seems, most jobs are $18 per hour - it is $10 an hour less than he would have earned in the UK. We have a mortgage twice the size of the one we had in the UK and I am not earning yet here! Although he had his Corgi in the UK it is not recognised here as there is little natural gas here and to become gas qualified he would need to start again. It seems that here they like you to have a 'certificate' for practically any job. An ad in the local paper the other day for a shop assistant asked for at least 5 years previous experience and the necessary certificate. They even have one for bar work, reception work etc etc. It is also worth noting that they do discriminate - my partner has been told that he will be the first out as he is a pommie and his employer will always employ his kinsmen first - lucky that plumbers are in short supply - eh!

Coming over here has been the adventure of a lifetime and we are bloody glad we have done it. If only to realise how much we like the UK. I would agree with previous posts mentioning that maybe a change of lifestyle in the UK may be worth thinking about. My partner and I have decided that when we return I will work full time instead of him and that we will work on renovating properties as a way of getting back onto the property ladder whilst he works part time. I don't wish that we had thought of this before as I don't think we could have. You need to try something different to know what you want. Some people I have met here came out from the UK years ago and have never been back - and don't miss it at all! Until you try it yourself you'll never know. Who knows we may be back ourselves - I think that once the kids have grown up and if work allows 6 months in each country might be nice - what a dreamer eh!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

CEO DMF is an unknown quantity at this point

Malpjc, Please look at making a lifestyle change in the UK, reduce your working hours, move to a smaller house / cheaper area, go on holiday and get out there and tell everyone that Britain is Great! [/QUOTE] - From Kate

I too think Goose made some great points but I also think this comment is also absolutely critical.

Malpjc, I am not saying don't make a move, our move has been great and I wouldn't change it for the world. But I do think you need to ask WHY does you wife wants to move so badly.

Sounds as though she and you and you are frustrated with your current life - not that you both have a real desire to be in Aus.

Why don't you move to a smaller house, why doesn't your wife look at some training for a job she would love to give her more satisfaction, take 4 holidays a year and enjoy each other more so that you feel you are working for something.

Hope that hasn't sounded TOOOO patronising.

Last edited by CEO DMF; Aug 5th 2004 at 5:32 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
where have you moved to,did you stay in the uk or have you moved abroad.
in our local park last sunday at 4 o'clock in the afternoon while a music concert was going on a 24 year old got murdered by a 22 year old,we live in bucks on the edge of the countrytside.last week police found heroin with a street value of 10 million in a town just up the road,2 weeks ago a male got stabbed but luckily survived,the council tax has just gone up again,the interesdt rate has just gone up today,the 5th time since november last year,our local council are housing 100 indian families into new homes right next to where there is a pakistani community and the goverment are still letting immigrants in that take the piss out of the rest of us who work for a living.last saturday in a pub,in the same town where the heroin was found,a young female got punched in the face by someone from a certain minority group,the police were called but didn't turn up,when the female left the pub with her boyfriend they got attacked by several more people from the same group.her boyfriend was badly beaten up.this time the police did arrive and the girkl rightly had a go at the police and got arrested for being abusive,the attackers got away.
how i feel at this moment is that the uk is a shit hole and if we don't get to australia we will go somewhere else.we know there is trouble wherever you go but the uk has turned into a laughing stock,
Originally posted by CEO DMF
Malpjc, Please look at making a lifestyle change in the UK, reduce your working hours, move to a smaller house / cheaper area, go on holiday and get out there and tell everyone that Britain is Great!
- From Kate

I too think Goose made some great points but I also think this comment is also absolutely critical.

Malpjc, I am not saying don't make a move, our move has been great and I wouldn't change it for the world. But I do think you need to ask WHY does you wife wants to move so badly.

Sounds as though she and you and you are frustrated with your current life - not that you both have a real desire to be in Aus.

Why don't you move to a smaller house, why doesn't your wife look at some training for a job she would love to give her more satisfaction, take 4 holidays a year and enjoy each other more so that you feel you are working for something.

Hope that hasn't sounded TOOOO patronising. [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

I know things aren't perfect everywhere, and we moved as we weren't satisfied....

Anyway, my husband and I moved out to the USA 18 months ago, we move around the USA a lot with his job, we just rent an apartment but always get a nice one with lake view, gym etc. We love visiting all the different places around the area we are working at - we go away and have a "mini-holiday" every other weekend.

My husband was sponsored by his company to come here, so getting a job was not an issue. He loves his job, worked his way up after college for a number of years, then worked part-time and holidays at the same company to pay for his degree studies, then went back fulltime to the same company after his degree. Then they offered him a project position over here for a number of years. With the living expenses etc we get as we are treated as an overseas employee we are able to save a lot.

I am a graduate and have chartered accountant and other qualifications and so I used to work much longer than full time hours in a very stessful career - now I don't have any of that stress. Out here I got a substitute teaching licence - which means I teach when I want and don't when I don't want, and the job moves with us whenever my husbands job moves.....

The money we made when we sold our house in the UK allowed us to buy 8 smaller houses which we rent out via an agent in the UK and they manage them for us too, so we have property we can either sell to buy a house if we go back to the UK or have extra income out here.......

We love it, for us things have turned out great and life out here is a long holiday....... so I would not discourage anybody from making a big change in their life - but I think we have been very lucky in our personal circumstances and just keep in mind everything everyone is saying. Estimate your costs and then increase them by at least 50% as you WILL need it (as I say I am accountant and I cannot tell you the number of times I have advised people this, have been ignored then had to advise the same people with big holes in their budget........ as I always say, if you don't end up needing it - so what - you end up with a bundle of extra cash, big hassle eh?) and last of all - Good Luck !!!

Last edited by CEO DMF; Aug 5th 2004 at 6:21 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

May I also point out - your comments regarding immigrants are a little concerning and even more offensive.

Do you begrudge people moving to a different country to try and make a better life for themselves if they think a new country will improve their's, and their families, quality of life?

If so - why are you considering moving?

Don't you realise that you'll be an immigrant too - wherever you go?

I hope people you meet when you are an immigrant are more open, considerate and understand your desire to improve your quality of life.

Last edited by CEO DMF; Aug 5th 2004 at 6:32 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by malpjc
hi,
where have you moved to,did you stay in the uk or have you moved abroad.
in our local park last sunday at 4 o'clock in the afternoon while a music concert was going on a 24 year old got murdered by a 22 year old,we live in bucks on the edge of the countrytside.last week police found heroin with a street value of 10 million in a town just up the road,2 weeks ago a male got stabbed but luckily survived,the council tax has just gone up again,the interesdt rate has just gone up today,the 5th time since november last year,our local council are housing 100 indian families into new homes right next to where there is a pakistani community and the goverment are still letting immigrants in that take the piss out of the rest of us who work for a living.last saturday in a pub,in the same town where the heroin was found,a young female got punched in the face by someone from a certain minority group,the police were called but didn't turn up,when the female left the pub with her boyfriend they got attacked by several more people from the same group.her boyfriend was badly beaten up.this time the police did arrive and the girkl rightly had a go at the police and got arrested for being abusive,the attackers got away.
how i feel at this moment is that the uk is a shit hole and if we don't get to australia we will go somewhere else.we know there is trouble wherever you go but the uk has turned into a laughing stock,
Cripes, I think you need to realise that murder, rape, crime, drugs, high taxes, house prices, crisis in the health service, interest rate rises, bored teenagers, binge drinking, paedophiles, corruption, etc etc all happen in Australia.

Unfortunately I don't think a holiday will show you all the downsides of life in Australia. However, I think as well as reading the constant negativity in the British press, you should read the Aussie papers too (if you aren't already). They are available online. This will probably give you a bit of balance and a reality check.

Please, I'm not saying you won't find your dream in Australia....but if you are going for the reasons you described above, you may be disappointed when you find that shit happens there too. You could be going from the frying pan into the fire. Have you got any reasons for going to Australia other than to escape the UK?
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

wherever we go ,we won't be scrounging and living off other people,we won't complain that their way of life offends us and that they should stop doing it and i will be buying car tax and have insurance so it doesn't put the cost up for everyone else,when i have heard people say things similar to what you have said they haven't lived in the same enviroment,why don't they let people into australia as easy as they do in this country,and before anyone accuses me of being a racist ,i am not,there are as many good and bad people from all races,i used to work up london in peoples houses so i have experienced what i am talking about.the most polite family were asians and they asked me to sit and have breakfast with them ,very nice people.the point i was making about the indian families moving next to the pakistan community is because there is a history of them "not getting on" and i don't think it's a very good idea to fan the flames.
how many people do you reckon would honestly say that they don't mind immigrants moving to the uk,i'm not saying we shouldn't do our bit but we are the country that have the most and when you see that there aren't enough hospital beds and people actually die in hospital corridors and the nurses and doctors work upto 100hours a week for crap money but it's ok to house and put these people up in hotels, it just isn't right.i'm only moaning about the ones who arrive here with no intention of doing a days work.i'm afraid if anyone thinks that's ok then they are not on this planet.
one of my first posts was about a charity job in romania,perhapsyou would like to read that before you think my comments are a little concerning and offensive
May I also point out - your comments regarding immigrants are a little concerning and even more offensive.

Do you begrudge people moving to a different country to try and make a better life for themselves if they think a new country will improve their's, and their families, quality of life?

If so - why are you considering moving?

Don't you realise that you'll be an immigrant too - wherever you go?

I hope people you meet when you are an immigrant are more open, considerate and understand your desire to improve your quality of life.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Cripes, I think you need to realise that murder, rape, crime, drugs, high taxes, house prices, crisis in the health service, interest rate rises, bored teenagers, binge drinking, paedophiles, corruption, etc etc all happen in Australia.

Unfortunately I don't think a holiday will show you all the downsides of life in Australia. However, I think as well as reading the constant negativity in the British press, you should read the Aussie papers too (if you aren't already). They are available online. This will probably give you a bit of balance and a reality check.

Please, I'm not saying you won't find your dream in Australia....but if you are going for the reasons you described above, you may be disappointed when you find that shit happens there too. You could be going from the frying pan into the fire. Have you got any reasons for going to Australia other than to escape the UK?
hi,
as i said in my post ,we know there is shit wherever you go.i just don't feel like doing what i have to here when i can do it in australia where the weather is going to be better,where i can have a house and not a mortgage and from what i have read work to live and not live to work,things cannot carry on how they are at the moment and i don't want to be about when it all goes tits up,where is there better to go than australia,if anybody has got any ideas i'll be interested.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

I know things aren't perfect everywhere, and we moved as we weren't satisfied....

Anyway, my husband and I moved out to the USA 18 months ago, we move around the USA a lot with his job, we just rent an apartment but always get a nice one with lake view, gym etc. We love visiting all the different places around the area we are working at - we go away and have a "mini-holiday" every other weekend.

My husband was sponsored by his company to come here, so getting a job was not an issue. He loves his job, worked his way up after college for a number of years, then worked part-time and holidays at the same company to pay for his degree studies, then went back fulltime to the same company after his degree. Then they offered him a project position over here for a number of years. With the living expenses etc we get as we are treated as an overseas employee we are able to save a lot.
i'm sorry but i have just read this post,after replying to your other one.
i'm not being funny or rude but you are having a laugh,how can you relate to what i am moaning about with what you have got,you see the things i'm moaning about don't affect you,lake view,mini holiday every other weekend,8 houses.
i really hope you're not one of those bloody do gooders that keep talking rubbish.
if you had people living around you that took the piss and hadn't done a days work but had the same things as you,and your taxes were going towards their things would you still feel the same,i somehow don't think so,i still can't get over this,no wonder you're not moaning about anything,but good for you and your husband,it appears you have earned you're good lifestyle.
I am a graduate and have chartered accountant and other qualifications and so I used to work much longer than full time hours in a very stessful career - now I don't have any of that stress. Out here I got a substitute teaching licence - which means I teach when I want and don't when I don't want, and the job moves with us whenever my husbands job moves.....

The money we made when we sold our house in the UK allowed us to buy 8 smaller houses which we rent out via an agent in the UK and they manage them for us too, so we have property we can either sell to buy a house if we go back to the UK or have extra income out here.......

We love it, for us things have turned out great and life out here is a long holiday....... so I would not discourage anybody from making a big change in their life - but I think we have been very lucky in our personal circumstances and just keep in mind everything everyone is saying. Estimate your costs and then increase them by at least 50% as you WILL need it (as I say I am accountant and I cannot tell you the number of times I have advised people this, have been ignored then had to advise the same people with big holes in their budget........ as I always say, if you don't end up needing it - so what - you end up with a bundle of extra cash, big hassle eh?) and last of all - Good Luck !!!
Old Aug 5th 2004, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Colette is an unknown quantity at this point

Malpjc

Hi I have been reading all these posts and most of them are interesting but I feel they are all of the mark. Like you and your wife we are moving to Oz and will be taking with us around 160k, we will be moving to Perth and we have already been once but we came back after 2 mths due to there being no work at that time for my hubby. My husband is a brickie and we moved over to Perth in 2001, they had just introduced a new GST tax on new builds so no houses where being built, we panicked and returned home, all in all it cost around 8k.

We now know that the building game is booming in Perth so have decided to go again and our house is on the market. In Perth you can easy have a 4/5 bedroom house for around 120k in a nice area. How do we know this? because we have some friends there already and they have just had one built for that amount. I am not going for the house thingy I have a nice 4 bed detatched house here already. What I am going for is a different lifestyle something different than the norm. I do not want to spend the rest of my life living in this little boring town, although I do not look at it as I will always live in OZ only a life style change for the next couple year at least whether it be good or bad, I hope its good but unless you go for it you will never know. Life is hard wherever you live we all have to put up with the crap but we are very fortunate to be able to have a new start.... If I had one wish it would be that the world would end and that everyone went to heaven and lived happy ever after, but until that happens I can only search for happiness in my life on earth. You probably think that last statement was a bit shocking!! Well this world is shocking all the evil in it and theres no getting away from it, its everywhere and it depresses me. I am just very sensitive, cruelty and suffering play on my mind and make me ill. You have to go with whats right for you and your wife.

What we are planning on doing is leaving our money in the building society in the uk for a least 6mths, we are selling up because we dont think the housing market will go mad again, at least not for another 10yrs, so if all fails we will still be able to afford a house again. We will rent for 6mths and if we like Perth and all is well we will then transfer our money and build. The only difference is that our children are 12 & 13 so all my children will be coming with me. My advice to you would be to leave your money in a high interest account in the UK for 6mths, move over to Oz and see how it goes. Good luck! And as the saying goes.......you've got to be cruel to be kind!!!!

Colette

Last edited by Colette; Aug 6th 2004 at 12:28 am.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough
Default Re: your experiences appreciated

Cripes! They are giving you a hard time, aren't they?

I can completely understand why you want to make the move. My husband and I moved to Canada a couple of years ago for many of the same reasons. Although it has not been without its challenges, we definitely made the right decision and we are much happier with our lives than we were in the UK. I think what you need to do its do your research (especially with regards to jobs and making sure that your qualifications are recognised) and make a decision based on your own particular set of circumstances. Also I would advise against buying a place in Australia straight away. I am sure that - just like in Canada- Australia has many different lifestyles to offer, depending on where you settle. It can take a while for you to decide where that place is. My husband and I have settled in the interior of B.C. and if you had of told me two years ago when we arrived in Canada that that is where we would have ended up, I would have been very surprised!

Finally, although it is important to listen to other people's advice, they can never know how miserable you are in a situation or what will make you happy. No one on this forum even knows you for heavens sake! They each have their own agendas, prejudices, perceptions and experiences, which, although have value, may not apply to you. For example, I could never move to Australia because I have screaming fit if a daddy long legs comes into the room!

Chin up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.