Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You will be charged a fee for reading this...

You will be charged a fee for reading this...

Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:45 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You will be charged a fee for reading this...

Ohhhh... Another great thread..

I agree with the valet parking.. I'm ok with tipping but I get annoyed when I'm coming out of a hotel and person number 1 asks person number 2 to go get my car and both expect a tip!! I always tip $10.. They can share it if they want to
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anabella
Ohhhh... Another great thread..

I agree with the valet parking.. I'm ok with tipping but I get annoyed when I'm coming out of a hotel and person number 1 asks person number 2 to go get my car and both expect a tip!! I always tip $10.. They can share it if they want to
Like I say, hotels and conference centers, etc, are all great. That's the purpose of valets - to save you the work. But lately it seems every restaurant and bar is providing mandatory "valet parking". It takes the piss a bit to see someone get in your car, crank the steering wheel and move the car literally 15 feet into an empty spot and then demand payment. But the option to do it yourself for free isn't there. So you can either park in the street and risk a towing, or go eat somewhere else.

All in the name of greed.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:08 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sexytime
Like I say, hotels and conference centers, etc, are all great. That's the purpose of valets - to save you the work. But lately it seems every restaurant and bar is providing mandatory "valet parking". It takes the piss a bit to see someone get in your car, crank the steering wheel and move the car literally 15 feet into an empty spot and then demand payment. But the option to do it yourself for free isn't there. So you can either park in the street and risk a towing, or go eat somewhere else.

All in the name of greed.
There is a restaurant up the mountain that forces us to hire cross country skies, snowshoes or a slaigh in the winter (in the summer you can park right by the door) any of the options are a minimum of 30 bucks per person.. What do you think of that
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:19 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future

There is a restaurant up the mountain that forces us to hire cross country skies, snowshoes or a slaigh in the winter (in the summer you can park right by the door) any of the options are a minimum of 30 bucks per person.. What do you think of that
Bloody disgraceful! I hope the food is worth it though
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:27 pm

Bloody disgraceful! I hope the food is worth it though
It's ok..
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

First time I moved to the US I couldn't believe the extra charges for everything. It first hit me when I went to a Dollar Store, walked up with one item, and was charged $1.08... surely it should be called the 'Dollar And 8 Cents Store'.

I then just added at least 50% to any price anyone ever told me. After that, things went smoother.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:13 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

So.........way that Corporate America has tried to rationalize stealing your money?
Welcome to America!
Which is a slightly arrogant way of saying:

Find that little switch inside your noggin that diconnects from all the aggravating stuff and nonsense that we (mostly) were raised to complain about and find unacceptable.

Ba-aa!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:09 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying they won't serve food unless you rent something first? Why don't people just Boycott the place?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:12 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

If a few fees and charges are all you have to worry about you're in pretty good nick.

Get a life.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

they don't force you to hire anything, you choose to go....simple answer ~ quit going!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

"When I book a trip through Travelocity or some other travel site, I am charged almost $45 worth of "administration fees", "booking fees" and "processing fees"."

The airlines stopped paying commissions in the US some 5 or 6 years ago, so IF Travelocity or anyone else along that line are charging a fee it's because otherwise they would be doing it for free.