Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You will be charged a fee for reading this...

You will be charged a fee for reading this...

Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:36 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You will be charged a fee for reading this...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
of course all these "fees" often have the identical effect as a tax!
Shhhhh...let's keep this little secret to ourselves. We wouldn't want the voters to catch on, now would we?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:58 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Shhhhh...let's keep this little secret to ourselves. We wouldn't want the voters to catch on, now would we?

That's the problem, it's almost like stealth taxing in some ways. They are recouping their revenue from other areas. I'm all for fairness. For example, paying for shipping and handling when you order a product online. Obviously the company has to cover its costs in terms of boxes, postage, etc.

But vague, shady (AKA bullshit) "transaction fees" and "processing fees" just seems very immoral to me.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Please will you stay on topic.....this is not about the OP moaning it is about being ripped off................not that it would happen here or in the UK...
I'll play along then just for the sake of the forum!

The most annoying fee is the application or activation fee, like I'm paying to apply to give someone money, e.g. a cellphone contract!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:06 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

The one that gets me is the option to pay online given by some companies that involved you paying a convenience fee to do so - in my mind it's convenient to them if I pay onlineas it's less work for them. So I always send them a cheque rather than pay $2 extra.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:13 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
It's all about choices:

The consumer at the end of the day doesn't have to finalise anything they don't want to.
So it's the choice of having the product or not, since you can't get it anywhere else without these stupid fees.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:14 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The one that gets me is the option to pay online given by some companies that involved you paying a convenience fee to do so - in my mind it's convenient to them if I pay onlineas it's less work for them. So I always send them a cheque rather than pay $2 extra.
and that's why you're awesome.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sexytime
That's the problem, it's almost like stealth taxing in some ways. They are recouping their revenue from other areas. I'm all for fairness. For example, paying for shipping and handling when you order a product online. Obviously the company has to cover its costs in terms of boxes, postage, etc.

But vague, shady (AKA bullshit) "transaction fees" and "processing fees" just seems very immoral to me.
The Supreme Court has previously ruled that while lies are not acceptable, "puffery" is. When a toothpaste commercial suggests that a single brushing will bring eternal happiness and get you laid, you as a consumer are supposed to know that the happy talk is just that, and is not to be taken at face value.

Our lives are surrounded by bullshit. When your SO asks you if she looks fat in that dress, you are expected to lie -- the question is not being asked as part of a fact finding mission.

People want stuff, but they don't want to pay for it. The government responds to the people's desire for the unrealistic goal of getting something for nothing by concealing the real price. If they didn't, we would punish them for their honesty by voting them out of office.

So I would expect them to do nothing less. Just remember the total cost before you buy something. If dealing with a private vendor, negotiate what you can. (I doubt that you can haggle much with the DMV, otherwise I would encourage that, too.)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:46 pm
Banned

Sexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant futureSexytime has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The Supreme Court has previously ruled that while lies are not acceptable, "puffery" is. When a toothpaste commercial suggests that a single brushing will bring eternal happiness and get you laid, you as a consumer are supposed to know that the happy talk is just that, and is not to be taken at face value.

Our lives are surrounded by bullshit. When your SO asks you if she looks fat in that dress, you are expected to lie -- the question is not being asked as part of a fact finding mission.

People want stuff, but they don't want to pay for it. The government responds to the people's desire for the unrealistic goal of getting something for nothing by concealing the real price. If they didn't, we would punish them for their honesty by voting them out of office.

So I would expect them to do nothing less. Just remember the total cost before you buy something. If dealing with a private vendor, negotiate what you can. (I doubt that you can haggle much with the DMV, otherwise I would encourage that, too.)
Life is full of bullshit, I agree. But I think things are going crazy lately. Between these increasing fees, food rationing and gas prices, why don't they just come out and say, "You know what, we're all retiring and dying soon, so we're gonna squeeze every last drop out of you on our way out" - cos thats all these fat ****ers are doing, and society is too naive or lazy to do anything about it.

There'll never be a revolution or uprising because people are too dumb to realize they need one.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Well that didn't take long, did it. Stick on topic please.

I'll also have to charge you $15 for an inconvience/rude posting fee.
When can I invoice you the $50 dickhead charge and 10% waste of space tax?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:19 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more worried and annoyed about them calling you a large *****y if I were you!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
So it's the choice of having the product or not, since you can't get it anywhere else without these stupid fees.
Very true, my friend.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Titchski
I'd be more worried and annoyed about them calling you a large *****y if I were you!
A cunty? I'd probably be worried too.

What a terrible contribution to the thread, shame that's all you have to offer.

It is a trap though, an economic trap. One of which there is now no escape.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:45 pm
Bloody Yank

Between these increasing fees, food rationing and gas prices, why don't they just come out and say, "You know what, we're all retiring and dying soon, so we're gonna squeeze every last drop out of you on our way out" - cos thats all these fat ****ers are doing, and society is too naive or lazy to do anything about it.
Because etiquette calls for doing otherwise. It's not nice to just raise the price. And as a business, you really can't if everyone else is playing the price + surcharge game, otherwise your prices would look higher than everyone else's and you'd lose customers.

It's like being out on the prowl in the bars. When you find your 2AM Miss America of the evening, you don't slouch up to her and announce your attentions to bang her like a gong on Chinese New Year. Instead, you try to get her to laugh and make her feel attractive while putting a drink or six in her hand, preparing both of yourselves for what you hope to be a hard landing.

In this exchange, everybody knows the game that's being played. But by pretending that it is something else, it makes things easier for everyone involved. If you want better, then you'll need to find the Utopian embassy and apply for a visa. (Feel free to PM me an extra copy of the application.)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
When can I invoice you the $50 dickhead charge and 10% waste of space tax?
Another mouthful of tea all over the keyboard moment...
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tonrob
Another mouthful of tea all over the keyboard moment...
I will give you kudos today, you all tried SO HARD to fire up another lame board fight. Again, what some members correctly identified to me as "the usual suspects" have followed me around in threads, throwing little juvenile taunts and silly insults, in the hopes of baiting me into some pathetic online fight.

It's a shame neither you nor Manc brought anything worthwhile to the thread. But then again, what am I expecting from people who live their lives vicariously through the internet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.