Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I like roundabouts as well, I was just thinking of the Magic Roundabout after reading that post.
Just spent two weeks having fun through the Magic Roundabout again, a work of art in queue flow terms. In Newnan they have found the joy of roundabouts, I have three within a mile of me and they are trying to add more. At the end of the Subdivision there is a roundabout that has an entry road into the performing arts theatre which has magically been called a "Centre". It's like they knew we were coming.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The magic roundabout in Swindon? ….. There is no right or wrong way - it is perfectly possible to drive through the junction in either direction (there are actually multiple ways to cross the junction to each exit). That said what seems to spook people most is that the center island must be driven around the opposite way to conventional roundabouts in the UK.
The centre island isn't really an island, it's dead space that just happens to be round in shape! Only the five mini ones are actual "islands" in the sense of that term meaning the roundabout. The engineering excellence is in the fact you can indeed go around it multiple ways, so it rarely gets clogged by traffic, people adjust their routes. It used to be a big roundabout with 5 exits but traffic flow created a problem given 4 of the exits are main through routes and one is not. In fact, there is a sixth exit which isn't advertised, the football ground car park.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 1:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Just spent two weeks having fun through the Magic Roundabout again, a work of art in queue flow terms. In Newnan they have found the joy of roundabouts, I have three within a mile of me and they are trying to add more. At the end of the Subdivision there is a roundabout that has an entry road into the performing arts theatre which has magically been called a "Centre". It's like they knew we were coming.
There is something strangely artistic about the dance of the cars around the Magic Roundabout as it is approached, even though I've only seen it in videos. Where I lived in the UK it wasn't big roundabouts they were adding as much as the mini-roundabouts, which are kind of pointless on the surface but I do understand their use in indicating that it's a priority to the right junction. Not that anyone knows how to use them properly, of course.

They're starting to stick in more roundabouts where I live in the US as well. Each one they have put in on any of my regular routes has been a vast and noticeable improvement over the 4-way stops they replaced.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Away from roundabouts and back to the topic on hand...

Any use of "y'all".
Old Jan 11th 2019, 5:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
.... Any use of "y'all".
​​​​​​​Y'all aren't right if you can't see the usefulness of that word to the English language.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 5:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When someone asks you how far away somewhere is and you answer in hours, and not miles.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

When you don't call it American Cream Soda any more.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​​Y'all aren't right if you can't see the usefulness of that word to the English language.
Y'all ? Surely you mean yinz ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinz
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't! .... I have a colleague from Pittsburgh, and I wish he had left his "yins" there when he headed south.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't! .... I have a colleague from Pittsburgh, and I wish he had left his "yins" there when he headed south.
Yunze mileage may vary :-)
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Any use of "y'all".
Although it's common usage in this neck of the woods I was still surprised to hear a 'very proper' pastor use it when giving a funeral sermon recently.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Any use of "y'all".
Worryingly I get emails from upper management that start, hey y'all
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Worryingly I get emails from upper management that start, hey y'all
Those good old boys at it again...
Old Jan 12th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I get two different Y'all's where I live and work. A more subtle Georgia one at home and a distinctly different one where I work - border with Alabama.

Fortunately I haven't had any Bless Your Heart's yet.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 6:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Mason - Dixon Line; separates youse from y'all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.