Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Old Jan 21st 2019, 6:48 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Originally Posted by dj6372
The way people eat here drives me nuts, you go to a high end restaurant and watch the struggle with using 2 items, a stabbing fork held in the fist, a hack at some meat with the knife then swap the fork over.............................................O MFG!! And then the whole process starts again.
I've already told my wife that if she ever sees me do that, we must return to Blighty!
I hope this doesn't jeopardise our visa application (it's game on!) but I have to say this drives me crazy too.
Old Jan 21st 2019, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

When people ask you how something is done or said in England and you can't remember straightaway.

When you say something and can't remember if that's the English or American way of saying it.

When saying "boot" sounds weird but "trunk" sounds O.K .

When you visit home , react to something in a "normal" way and all you're mates tell you to really calm down and wind your neck in.

When you watch a film and have to think about whether they have accents - I still consider Americans to have accents and I don't

Oh and also when you get terribly nostalgic for England over small things.

23 years and counting - might need an extended trip home..
Old Jan 21st 2019, 7:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
...when you believe the sale price is a bargain
​​​​​​​Local Kroger owned grocery chain sells cases (12 bottles) of craft beer for $12.99-$16.99, but the price always says "Previously $18.99 - price reduced by ... [$2-$6, as applicable]". AFAIK they have never sold those brands of craft beer for $18.99.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 5:43 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When you hear someone speak with an English accent and wonder if they are Australian.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I get six. Yay me
All my jobs both US and Canada have been 0 days off on holidays unless normal day off, but then hotels and airlines don't close on holidays so someone has to work.

I did get 2 and 3 weeks off vacation in the US, and the required 10 days in BC, just not random holidays through the year.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 22nd 2019 at 6:23 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 12:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
...when you believe the sale price is a bargain
And/ or you develop an unhealthy obsession with coupons.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 12:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All my jobs both US and Canada have been 0 days off on holidays unless normal day off, but then hotels and airlines don't close on holidays so someone has to work.

I did get 2 and 3 weeks off vacation in the US, and the required 10 days in BC, just not random holidays through the year.
That's the nature of airline work, I guess. People are always flying, whatever the time of year.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
…., just not random holidays through the year.
I wish I could trade my public holidays for time off when I wanted it! ….. A few years ago my employer took away two of the public holidays, and replaced them with two additional days PTO. Though it was weird how many people almost immediately started complaining that they no longer got the two public holidays that they had lost! Maybe my colleagues are goldfish? And I have explained to a number of new recruits in recent years, who wonder why we got some public days but not others, that they have more PTO than they would otherwise have done.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wish I could trade my public holidays for time off when I wanted it! ….. A few years ago my employer took away two of the public holidays, and replaced them with two additional days PTO. Though it was weird how many people almost immediately started complaining that they no longer got the two public holidays that they had lost! Maybe my colleagues are goldfish? And I have explained to a number of new recruits in recent years, who wonder why we got some public days but not others, that they have more PTO than they would otherwise have done.
I get the idea, but I like that I can sort of plan around the public holidays, or at least the ones that aren't the obviously needed days off like Christmas, Thanksgiving etc.

We always used to plan our big vacations around July 4th because that's one less day of PTO we have to use and it's always nice to know I get a long weekend in May and September. Could do with a couple of days off around Easter and something mirroring the August bank holiday as well though. The live to work culture in America is toxic as **** though.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:23 pm

I get the idea, but I like that I can sort of plan around the public holidays, or at least the ones that aren't the obviously needed days off like Christmas, Thanksgiving etc.

We always used to plan our big vacations around July 4th because that's one less day of PTO we have to use a....
Exactly! … Which is what people do to give themselves the flexibility to take a day off when they want to, not when the Federal government decides we should. That said, a couple of years ago my employer had a fit of political correctness gone wild and decided to assign us, in addition to existing PTO entitlements and specified public holidays, an additional two "holidays" that we can take to mark religious observances or other personal events - there is no need to in any way register the reason, they're just additional days we can take whenever we like.

So far as the toxic PTO environment in the US goes, recently, towards the end of the year, my manager, as with every manager I have had since I moved to NC 16 years ago, reminded us, that despite being very busy, we should be certain to take PTO before it expires. I guess I am luckier than most.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2019 at 1:28 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Exactly, which is what people do to give themselves the flexibility to take those add days off when they want to, not when the Federal government decides we should.
Porque no los dos?

More bank holidays and more PTO - that can only be a good thing

That said, a couple of years ago my employer had a fit of political correctness gone wild and decided to assign us, in addition to existing PTO entitlements and specified public holidays, an additional two "holidays" that we can take to mark religious observances or other personal events - there is no need to in any way register the reason, they're just additional days we can take whenever we like.
Basically an extra couple of personal days - I like that idea, however it is dressed up and presented. Catholics probably need that more than most, they have a ridiculous amount of random saint's days they are expected to observe.

So far as the toxic PTO environment in the US goes, recently, towards the end of the year, my manager, as with every manager I have had since I moved to NC 16 years ago, reminded us, that despite being very busy, we should be certain to take PTO before it expires. I guess I am luckier than most.
Good managers understand that fully rested employees are more productive and less prone to burnout. We're not actively encouraged to use ours as such but it's certainly not an issue when we do. I'm going up to 3 weeks in September of next year, and that'll be my max for this company. It's not a super large allowance but with the 6 personal/sick days we also get it's actually a nice balance as far as PTO goes in the states.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:45 pm

….. Basically an extra couple of personal days - I like that idea, however it is dressed up and presented. Catholics probably need that more than most, they have a ridiculous amount of random saint's days they are expected to observe. …
Little Miss P's school is closed in September on Rosh Hashana and/or Yom Kippur (one or other usually falls on a weekend in any one year), so the first year that the new allowance was introduced I logged a day to Rosh Hashana.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:00 pm
I have a comma problem

Little Miss P's school is closed in September on Rosh Hashana and/or Yom Kippur (one or other usually falls on a weekend in any one year), so the first year that the new allowance was introduced I logged a day to Rosh Hashana.
Nice one.

Usually our daughter's school gets a day off in your honor (Pulaski Day), which seems to be unique to the Chicago area (and even then not all schools get it off) but they lost it this year to a snow day that happened in November. She's mildly annoyed about that.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:03 pm

… Usually our daughter's school gets a day off in your honor (Pulaski Day), …

.... but they lost it this year .... She's mildly annoyed about that.
Me too, how dare they!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2019 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 3:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Me too, how dare they!
March 4th will still be Pulaski Day, the district just decided to have school that day instead of tacking on an extra day in June.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.