Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Originally Posted by markonline1
Also roundabouts with 2 or 3 lanes scared me LOL.
Stay away from Swindon, then.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Stay away from Swindon, then.
And Milton Keynes, and Gloucester, which has some real corkers, including a large three-leg gyratory junction (effectively three scissor junctions combined), and several which since I left the UK have had low-curb paved rings cut out of the island, which allow you to pretty much straight-line across from right-lane entry to right lane exit at fairly high speed, a manoeuvre which has a very good chance of spooking the locals.

FWIW I love roundabouts.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And Milton Keynes, and Gloucester, which has some real corkers, including a large three-leg gyratory junction (effectively three scissor junctions combined), and several which since I left the UK have had low-curb paved rings cut out of the island, which allow you to pretty much straight-line across from right-lane entry to right lane exit at fairly high speed, a manoeuvre which has a very good chance of spooking the locals.

FWIW I love roundabouts.
I like roundabouts as well, I was just thinking of the Magic Roundabout after reading that post.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I like roundabouts as well, I was just thinking of the Magic Roundabout after reading that post.
I passed within a couple of miles of that, twice, recently but passed up the opportunity to pay it a visit.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

I passed within a couple of miles of that, twice, recently but passed up the opportunity to pay it a visit.
I've never been anywhere near it, but I have watched a few videos of people going around it if that counts.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have an opinion one way or another on roundabouts, until I was a passenger in my mother in law's car and she entered it the wrong way. And then proceeded to drive around it twice - the wrong way.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:20 pm

I've never been anywhere near it, but I have watched a few videos of people going around it if that counts.
There was a similar "experimental" junction in Sheffield when I lived there as a child, so I never experienced it as a driver, but they paved over the entire junction - there was no fixed island, then they laid out the island and islets, five IIRC, made from tyres painted white with direction signs mounted in barrels. They could then move the junction around to different layouts, or adjust the layout easily, so you never knew exactly what the junction would be like when you arrived at it. I have never been able to find information about it on line, although I know it was removed and turned into a conventional junction after we left, or maybe even before, so I am not even certainly exactly where it used to be.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:25 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I didn't have an opinion one way or another on roundabouts, until I was a passenger in my mother in law's car and she entered it the wrong way. And then proceeded to drive around it twice - the wrong way.
That's a unique situation right there

There was a similar "experimental" junction in Sheffield when I lived there as a child, so I never experienced it as a driver, but they paved over the entire junction - there was no fixed island, then they laid out the island and islets, five IIRC, made from tyres painted white with direction signs mounted in barrels. They could then move the junction around to different layouts, or adjust the layout easily, so you never knew exactly what the junction would be like when you arrived at it. I have never been able to find information about it on line, although I know it was removed and turned into a conventional junction after we left, or maybe even before, so I am not even certainly exactly where it used to be.
I kind of like the idea of a variable roundabout. Keeps everyone on their toes when they don't know what configuration will be used on a given day.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The magic roundabout in Swindon? ….. There is no right or wrong way - it is perfectly possible to drive through the junction in either direction (there are actually multiple ways to cross the junction to each exit). That said what seems to spook people most is that the center island must be driven around the opposite way to conventional roundabouts in the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

One of those 4 lane spiral t̶r̶a̶f̶f̶i̶c̶ ̶c̶i̶r̶c̶l̶e̶s̶ roundabouts near Edinburgh airport, If you're not observant it's easy to drift into an adjacent lane as a young couple did to me.
Then they glared and honked at me as they thought I was the one in the wrong lane.
Bloody neophytes...

I gave them a good shake of the head and a definitive 'tut'.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 8th 2019 at 2:30 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

You know you’ve been in the US too long when you give the wife some pound coins to buy the kids some stuff at the little shop in Bracknell train station only to find out they aren’t legal tender any more LOL. I genuinely had no idea they had gone from the round pound coins to those 2 tone hexagonal type things.
I do want to thank the person who made the decision to abolish the Severn Bridge tolls 24 hours before I was due to cross though!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Right about now, I'm fixin' to go to the house.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Was that the one near the university/St Phillips Road?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
You know you’ve been in the US too long when you give the wife some pound coins to buy the kids some stuff at the little shop in Bracknell train station only to find out they aren’t legal tender any more LOL. I genuinely had no idea they had gone from the round pound coins to those 2 tone hexagonal type things.
I do want to thank the person who made the decision to abolish the Severn Bridge tolls 24 hours before I was due to cross though!

Many years ago I was staying in London and went to the store to buy a few things -- the clerk (whose English wasn't too spectacular) informed me that the pound notes I was handing him weren't legal tender and I was starting to get "WTF are you talking about" huffy when some other people in the queue explained to me that it was this particular note that had been withdrawn from circulation! Red face . . .
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:33 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We go round it at least once a year. My Swindonian husband tells me it's a fun place to go when you're learning to drive.

(Hello, just lurking around the US forums due to a potential move, trying to educate myself.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.