Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been living in the US too long when .....

You wait to get back to the US for fish 'n' chips. (Tolerance for grease seems to have reduced.) Oh, and prefer New York cheddar to English cheddar.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Maybe someone in the US can clear up something that's puzzled me for ages.

I say aluMINium, with the emphasis on the 'min'
I hear Americans (sorry, don't know which part of the US they're from), say alu(OO)minum. It's not the different emphasis that puzzles me, it's the fact that the word seems to lose an 'i'. Or in the case of the Australian way of saying it, gains an 'i'.
Apparently that was Sir Humphrey Davy's fault. After discovering it he couldn't decide between 'aluminum' and 'aluminium' (finally deciding on the latter to make it closer in pronunciation to other elements like sodium and potassium), but Webster's dictionary adopted the former and it stuck.

At least that's what I found out after a quick search.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

When you rent a car and get in the wrong door..................................always pretend to look in the glove box, then go to the other side!!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
When you rent a car and get in the wrong door..................................always pretend to look in the glove box, then go to the other side!!
Then you end up doing the same thing with your own car after you get back.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

UK or US, I always have to look in the rear window or the windshield to figure out which side is which.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Driving more than 30 miles to go to a restaurant.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Is that a Southern thing?
Never hear it in the West...
Yes, it is culturally associated with "The South", it is perhaps even the stereotypic word defining the region, at least as far north as Virginia and at least as far west as Texas, though usage seems to be creeping into other areas.
Driving more than 30 miles to go to a restaurant.

….. for lunch.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

When you spend so much time on BE.

(My 'productivity' has plummeted.)
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:09 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

When you spend so much time on BE.

(My 'productivity' has plummeted.)
Bah. If (a) you’ve been in the US too long, and (b) you’re management material, then you’ll know how to redefine ‘productivity’.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:21 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You think that waiters in other countries are too slow to bring you the bill.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You think that waiters in other countries are too slow to bring you the bill.
If you're still calling it "the bill" you haven't been fully assimilated yet!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

When ones use of profanity is reduced to situations only involving driving, putting holes in body parts and describing the President.
I haven't called any of my new US mates, in jest, a moron, tw#t or [email protected]. They just wouldn't appreciate it.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're still calling it "the bill" you haven't been fully assimilated yet!
They are the Borg. Resistance is futile.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
When ones use of profanity is reduced to situations only involving driving, putting holes in body parts and describing the President.
I haven't called any of my new US mates, in jest, a moron, tw#t or [email protected]. They just wouldn't appreciate it.
Stick to calling them a wanker and it will be just be excused as you being "quaintly English".
Old Jan 8th 2019, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
[I'll start.]

You're glad to return to the US after a trip "home", because the beer tastes better in the US.
I’ve just returned from a trip home, and exactly this!!! The beer is like bloody water!!!! Also roundabouts with 2 or 3 lanes scared me LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.