Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you a better driver than the average Yank?

Are you a better driver than the average Yank?

Old May 23rd 2009, 2:37 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a better driver than the average Yank?

Took the test - 95%. Missed this one:

18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:
A. Go through the intersection before it turns red
B. Stop if it is safe to do so
C. Be prepared to stop
D. Slow down and proceed with caution

Hell, if we did that the traffic jams would be awful!
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:54 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

100%
Old May 23rd 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
by the tone of his post... definitely defensive (driver that is)

75% Meh.

questions "were taken from actual written DMV test across the country"
14. When you are merging onto the freeway, you should be driving:
A. At or near the same speed as the traffic on the freeway
B. 5 to 10 miles per hour slower than the traffic on the freeway
C. The posted speed limit for traffic on the freeway

The answer is A... so if everyone is speeding over the speed limit, the DMV is basically giving you permission and the okay to speed too? "But Officer, I was only following what was said and encouraged by the DMV by nature of their correct answer on the test..."
My thoughts precisely.
As per all the tests in USA, often you can't give the answer you want, its not there. Written test tackers, but stink at real driving.

Reg. Frank R.
Old May 23rd 2009, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

18. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:
C. Be prepared to stop

The rest of the world Yellow/amber/orange means STOP (Be ready to stop, its going to go Red), here in Florida, means speed up.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

100%

Been driving for 9 years in Germany, and nine years stateside. No accident since 2002 when somebody rear-ended my car, the last accident where I was at fault was when I drunkenly totaled my BMW in Dec of 92, and the only time I was ever pulled over in the US was in 2006 when I got a written warning for doing 100 in a 65.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
.... for doing 100 in a 65.
That must be your german Autobahn heritage!
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Toontje
That must be your german Autobahn heritage!
That's what the state trooper said and that's why he gave me a written warning instead of hauling my scrawny ass off to the nearest county jail.
Old May 23rd 2009, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
That's what the state trooper said and that's why he gave me a written warning instead of hauling my scrawny ass off to the nearest county jail.
You lucky bastard!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

I scored an 85%. Not too shabby, IMO.

Georgia Drivers. Reading the list and their ranking... not surprised. Sometimes I think I'm the only one here who even tries to drive safely and obey the rules of the road...
Old May 25th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

As with all tests they do not give a true picture of the individuals driving ability. I believe most of us took this test without cheating, but even a 16 year old with no driving experience would register a high mark.

I am 79 and next year I have to take a written and vision test in order to keep my licence. But no road test.

I suppose what I'm saying is that answering written questions is not a true indicator of ones ability to drive safety. I got 95% on the test but the true test of ones safety is how many accidents, DUI or speeding fines we have had during our driving history.

Personally I've had no accidents and 2 speeding (less that 20 over limit) over 56 years.
Old May 25th 2009, 5:48 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I had my first crack at driving on the right, just now. Went round the block in a car park a couple of times then drove two and a half miles home, all without hitting anything!

Admittedly, there was very little traffic on the roads, but it's a start.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:56 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

C. Be prepared to stop

I was confused why there wasnt a speed up answer...its def what im gonna end up being pulled for!!

I got 75%...apparantly I dont know my stopping distances
Old May 26th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

All you gotta remember is just to stay ON the 'pavement', and OFF the 'sidewalk'.

Old May 27th 2009, 3:11 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to post my score. All I'm saying is that I'm a much better practical driver than a theoretical driver.

And that I learned how to drive in NJ.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
And that I learned how to drive in NJ.
That reminds me of yesterday. Out practising for my test and a car is coming towards me:
Me: Why is that car on my side of the road?
SWMBO: Because he's an idiot.

I've done about 60 miles so far and only instinctively went on the left once, just after reversing out of the driveway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.