Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you all mad.................

Are you all mad.................

Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Are you all mad.................

[QUOTE=millavi]I know I'm risking getting a reputation for being a pedant, but why do so many people misspell 'lose'?

You maybe a Pedant, but try to write grammatically when you correct my English. Should not, "I know I'm risking getting...." be, "I risk earning a reputation..."? Also isn't "getting" poor English, particularly where there are more descriptive words to use?

Thank you for the point regarding "looseing", rather than "losing". However perhaps I am becoming more relaxed and loosening up after two years in New Zealand.
Roger
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wildmark
..and i'm sick to the back teeth of people that drone on about how great the UK is...why did you leave in the first place?
Well I'm sure many people here are sick of people who haven't lived abroad and think they know it all try and suggest that their opinions don't count. Believe me we have all been in the situation where we are keen to leave the UK and move on to a new life, however most of us didn't come here and tell those that had actually done it and didn't like it that their experiences made us sick!

Your opinion doesn't count until you have actually got off your arse and tried it for yourself.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Roger
Been in New Zealand for two years. Loved the experience, the people, the weather (in Hawkes Bay), the scenery, and most importantly the REST. However now I want to get on and actually achieve something with my life, I just seem to exist here in a cocooned state of stress free comfort.

Also I am getting very bored with the limited work opportunities and blatant little town nepotism - okay may be different in Christchurch/Wellington/Auckland but wouldn't live there. Also the pay and conditions are an embarrassment- earnt more 20 years ago but didn't enjoy 1950s conditions of service. Yeh if promotion was there, it would be very little more money.

Miss the opportunities to travel. Do you meet many Kiwis who actually go on holiday outside mad January down to the mice ridden bach? No can't afford it other than rich doctors/lawyers/businessman etc. Most Kiwis I meet haven't been outside the North Island other than the once in a lifetime OE. I've friends who have been across from the UK twice in couple of years and seen more of NZ than I can afford to see in my measly three weeks leave (and I know many who get a week).

Bloody houses are freezing and made of a similar structure to my 1970s school Nissan Hut. Houses colder than those in Siberia I'm told. Kiwis are too proud/daft to admit it other than those who have lived abroad.

Admittedly being so far from friends and family is a big issue, particularly where there is ill health - there's the three weeks leave but flights paid for by money I kept in the UK for visiting frail parents.

New Zealand is a great place, and the UK has many problems but (for me) life is richer in the UK. I'm certainly not complaining about my two years here, even coming home with more cash than I took out (from housing surge and nice exchange rate - but forget that if you're coming now as that is a thing of the past). Will see life from a different angle and not rush back to the mad South-East.

So no I'm not mad IMHO.
Roger
P.S. The wreck diving sucks and the dog can't go to the pub.
Top reply Roger.
A tiny minority of Kiwis travel outside NZ for their holidays. If you are prepared to accept that that too is likely to be your fate then fine. If you might just find that claustrophobic then tread carefully.
What does the UK have going for it in comparison to NZ?
A rich cultural heritage
A sense of humour where it is considered alright/essential to be self deprecating
Choice in just about everything
World class media
No chips on the shoulder
More sports than just rugby
Splendid architecture if you care to look
Reference points with your friends
Mad dogs and Englishmen
Free healthcare
European wages/salaries
A vibrant continent on your doorstep
By the way Rog. Small town nepotism isn't confined to the small towns! Have you benn to Christchurch?Christchurch was claustrophobic in the extreme!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Having moved to Canada last year for reasons other than disliking the UK I'm struggling to settle but I've no plans to return just yet especially as my wife is Canadian. However I wouldn't criticize anyone for wanting to make a move overseas because life is short, the grass is greener etc. What I cannot stand is the criticism that those who struggle to settle and want to move back attract from people who have yet to try it themselves.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:08 am
Merlot

..and i'm sick to the back teeth of people that drone on about how great the UK is...why did you leave in the first place?
So why listen? Why come on this part of the Forum if it pains you so much? Maybe you are trying to convince yourself about moving?

Why I left the UK has bugger all to do with you really but it was supposed to be for 12 months not 7 years to Oz. I came back for family reasons, I have passports for both countries and my family is here my hubby's in Australia . . . oh yes and I did pass a motion this morning if you care so much about my life enough.

Strange boy???

M

Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:15 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by stepnek
Having moved to Canada last year for reasons other than disliking the UK I'm struggling to settle but I've no plans to return just yet especially as my wife is Canadian. However I wouldn't criticize anyone for wanting to make a move overseas because life is short, the grass is greener etc. What I cannot stand is the criticism that those who struggle to settle and want to move back attract from people who have yet to try it themselves.
Nicely put.

M

Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:48 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Wildmark,

So are you actually en route to Oz or Canada?

Your signature says Canada, but your forum info has something about OZ?

Are you the one that has done a stint abroad, or will it be your first jaunt?

Do tell!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by immunise
Well I'm sure many people here are sick of people who haven't lived abroad and think they know it all try and suggest that their opinions don't count. Believe me we have all been in the situation where we are keen to leave the UK and move on to a new life, however most of us didn't come here and tell those that had actually done it and didn't like it that their experiences made us sick!

Your opinion doesn't count until you have actually got off your arse and tried it for yourself.

You see, their you go jumping to conclusions, I lived in Canada from 1992 to 2000, we came back because my wife was homesick after a series of deaths in the family, its been five years and she has realised what we came back to was not as good as we had it, so we are going to give Oz a try, we would have gone to Florida but the E2 business visa was crap.

So I HAVE BEEN OFF MY ASS and done it...and doing it again.

Mark
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
Nicely put.

M

...but wrong.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
So why listen? Why come on this part of the Forum if it pains you so much? Maybe you are trying to convince yourself about moving?

Why I left the UK has bugger all to do with you really but it was supposed to be for 12 months not 7 years to Oz. I came back for family reasons, I have passports for both countries and my family is here my hubby's in Australia . . . oh yes and I did pass a motion this morning if you care so much about my life enough.

Strange boy???

M

If its bugger all to do with anyone why spread your negativity bleeting how bad you had it?

And why still post on an immigration forum when your back in this country for good, my gues is to spread your opinions to people that are either confused or going thru what normal people go thru when they first arrive in a new country, not... "give it 12 months and see how you feel then...its oh the Uk is wonderful dont go or come back straight away, dont worry about the crime, NHS waiting lists, Chavs, No NHS dentists..hey we got history and rain"

...very strange girl :scared:

Mark

Last edited by wildmark; Jul 14th 2005 at 7:10 am.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kendodd
Wildmark,

So are you actually en route to Oz or Canada?

Your signature says Canada, but your forum info has something about OZ?

Are you the one that has done a stint abroad, or will it be your first jaunt?

Do tell!!
Done Canada, giving Oz a go.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:17 am
scoobydoo

You see, their you go jumping to conclusions, I lived in Canada from 1992 to 2000, we came back because my wife was homesick after a series of deaths in the family, its been five years and she has realised what we came back to was not as good as we had it, so we are going to give Oz a try, we would have gone to Florida but the E2 business visa was crap.

So I HAVE BEEN OFF MY ASS and done it...and doing it again.

Mark

Well I hope it all goes well for you and that your wife settles this time. Surely you remember how she felt when homesick.....some people on this forum feel/felt like that too, and some don't have any choice about coming back to the UK.
Please don't critise others for how they feel and for expressing their feelings as ,for some, this forum is a very good outlet for a good whinge. And I'd rather listen to a whinger.......for a short time anyway!!!!LOL......... than someone who pretends all is rosy....cause at least a whinger is honest about how they feel!

Best wishes....and I hope that if you ever need to use this forum after you have moved or if you are feeling bad, that no one remembers some of the comments you have made, because they can be a great lot of very supportive whingers here!!!

Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:44 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhhh who does this remind you of Merlot????

you know the person who started this thread has gone very quiet...

...quick put the cat amongst the pigeons and sit back and watch.You know what I see lots of people on the Oz forum with threads like...what shops do you miss in the UK...what would you like to bring to make life easier....amazing!!!..each to their own.

Mark......I think you have misjudged Merlot..she is far from bleeting about how bad she had it.

Of course Oz has none of what you mentioned the UK has......how many times have you been there??I found an NHS dentist yippppeeeeeee.Clothing here is far better than OZ....more choice than Kmart, Target and Big W...!!!

My husband is Australian and he finds it hard to imagine ever going back to Oz.He thinks about the humdity and heat, the lack of things to do, the same typical holiday each year......which beach this year??flies, cockies,..etc etc..
Still I guess you will tell me he's a whinging aussie eh...lol...

Be happy and have fun.

Last edited by Pants; Jul 14th 2005 at 8:40 am.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:21 am
Merlot

we came back because my wife was homesick after a series of deaths in the family

Mark
So was I, hence me coming home - doh!

Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:26 am
Merlot

If its bugger all to do with anyone why spread your negativity bleeting how bad you had it?

And why still post on an immigration forum when your back in this country for good, my gues is to spread your opinions to people that are either confused or going thru what normal people go thru when they first arrive in a new country, not... "give it 12 months and see how you feel then...its oh the Uk is wonderful dont go or come back straight away, dont worry about the crime, NHS waiting lists, Chavs, No NHS dentists..hey we got history and rain"

...very strange girl :scared:

Mark
Firstly can you make some sense of what you are trying to say in plain English as I am struggling with it? You jump so much I can't keep up. What part of me can you not understand?

I think you need to read my ups and downs from the start before you judge, maybe we can meet for a drink and you can understand me better before you hit out.

Secondly, surprise - we are back to Oz anytime in the next 12 to 24 months, always been the plan, we still have furniture over there and business matters. Read up!

Both countries I love and hate in the same breathe, I every right to exercise my thoughts without making someone feel like arse.

There my sermon ends, I am off to have a nice day.

Merlot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.