Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

yep it's already started!

yep it's already started!

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:23 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yep it's already started!

Yeah things have changed a bit since 1974. I had moved back to the UK from Canada in 1973 and returned to a country plagued by labour strife., crippling strikes and an economic state that had earned the UK the name "the sick man of Europe" Luckily for me my brother a US citizen sponsored my application for permanent US residence a year later.
It was around the time I left that Britain became a member of the Common Market, EEC or whatever the EU was then known as. The popular feeling was that by joining Europe Britain would benefit greatly from it.

Forty two years later a bunch of misguided old dolts led by Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson managed to win the vote to get Britain out. What now if Brexit in the next few years proves to be a complete disaster for Britain...an application for US territory status ?
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard, anyone asking for entry who isn't a US citizen has the burden on them to prove they'll be good to enter.

And after all this, the CBP agent has final authority, given the VWP waivers the right to appear before a judge.

I'm sure there was some protest in Canada held. I'd rather then spend Canadian policing budget than DC's.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
30!
You're right - 1988, so nearly 30 years. Not sure if I can get away with blaming a typo on that one, but it's better than admitting my maths was shocking.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
.... A UK national whose residence is still the UK obviously needs a visa to enter the US. That's the way it's always been.
Your grasp on life and the ways of the world in the 21st century is even worse than I had feared!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2017 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The lower paid have already started to suffer. Hopefully decline in first time buyers will cause another housing crash.

Trump suspends mortgage rule designed to help first-time homebuyers

http://www.curbed.com/2017/1/20/1433...nce-homeowners
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The lower paid have already started to suffer. Hopefully decline in first time buyers will cause another housing crash.

Trump suspends mortgage rule designed to help first-time homebuyers. .....
The insurance premiums fund the fund the reserves for the insurance fund and cutting the premiums, by a tiny percentage, threatened the solvency of the insurance funds - the reserves are required to be a minimum of 2% and are only currently only about 2.3.

To cut the premium was (i) financially reckless and (ii) given the timing, was a blatantly political maneuver by President Obama in the dying days of his presidency.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2017 at 3:17 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 3:58 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your grasp on life and the ways of the world in the 21st century is even worse than I had feared!
I became a US citizen in 1983. All travel outside the US since then has been with a US passport. Why should I have bothered to give a crap about or even know about changing rules, regulations and requirements relating to visitors traveling to and from the US and Europe ?

Obviously my ignorance on such matters has been displayed and I should have kept my gob shut but again I don't give a crap
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I became a US citizen in 1983. All travel outside the US since then has been with a US passport. Why should I have bothered to give a crap about or even know about changing rules, regulations and requirements relating to visitors traveling to and from the US and Europe ?

Obviously my ignorance on such matters has been displayed and I should have kept my gob shut but again I don't give a crap
What did you think that this Visa Waiver Program that is discussed day in day out on this forum was all about?
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

People at times seem to think they have the right to enter another country and forget it's a privelage and the officers both US and Canadian side have power to deny entry.

I dislike Trump but I can see why CBP wouldn't been keen on allowing protestors to cross and there were protests in city's in Canada.

When Canadians who were denied entry or detained at the border when entering when it was known their only reason for entering the US was to protest, the Minister of Public Safety issued a statement over it.

When entering another country, including Canada, it has always been the case that goods accompanying a traveler may be searched to verify admissibility,” Scott Bardsley, the minister’s press secretary, said in an emailed statement.

“Every country is sovereign and able to make its own rules to admit people and goods to manage its immigration framework, health and safety,” he added.

Originally Posted by tom169
Last I heard, anyone asking for entry who isn't a US citizen has the burden on them to prove they'll be good to enter.

And after all this, the CBP agent has final authority, given the VWP waivers the right to appear before a judge.

I'm sure there was some protest in Canada held. I'd rather then spend Canadian policing budget than DC's.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 22nd 2017 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:25 pm
Banned

Canadians, Brits and people across the globe would be better served worrying about their own individual problems. Those here who claim Trump isn't "legitimate" obviously haven't a clue how democracy works and have no respect for the constitution or the electoral process.

I found it ironic that protestors took to the streets in Australia a country whose elected government sticks asylum seekers in a camp on some offshore island.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

what was ironic was that one of the people turned away was a dual canadian/us citizen who was not carrying his us passport at the time... even worse!
another guy was a canadian physics student at mcgill ..
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
what was ironic was that one of the people turned away was a dual canadian/us citizen who was not carrying his us passport at the time... even worse!
Pretty sure it's illegal for a US citizen to enter not using their US passport.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Should have brought and used his US Passport then.

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tom169
Pretty sure it's illegal for a US citizen to enter not using their US passport.
yes i believe that to be the case, he should have had it to present at the border.. in which case there would be no way he could be denied entry.... right?
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes i believe that to be the case, he should have had it to present at the border.. in which case there would be no way he could be denied entry.... right?
Correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.