British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   yep it's already started! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/yep-its-already-started-890475/)

silvermine Jan 21st 2017 11:22 pm

yep it's already started!

Protesters from Canada, UK, 'turned away at US border' - BBC News

be careful out there folks..

silvermine Jan 21st 2017 11:55 pm

Re: yep it's already started!

ok we're here now. very very disturbing to this canadian/uk citizen living in the usa to see a uk national being told they need a visa to enter the us... crazy!

ian-mstm Jan 22nd 2017 3:24 am

Originally Posted by silvermine (Post 12157929)
very very disturbing to [...] see a uk national being told they need a visa to enter the us...

Not only are CBP officers allowed to intimidate people, they are allowed to lie with impunity. The officer was lying.

Ian

dc koop Jan 22nd 2017 5:10 am

I have a problem with hooligans torching cars, smashing windows and tossing garbage cans and mail boxes into the street. This took place yesterday in Washington during the inaugural parade. If these idiots claim Trump isn't legitimate as a president then they need to know that the Trump won squarely and legitimately. Accept it and move on. I didn't vote for Trump but in all fairness the best thing we can do is give the man a chance.

There was a news article on the BBC last night. A BBC reporter went to a poor rural area in Alabama whose people are mostly African American. Many of them were negative about Trump, many had been out of work for a log time but I had to wonder why Obama after 8 years in office hadn't obviously done a thing for them

dc koop Jan 22nd 2017 5:17 am

Originally Posted by silvermine (Post 12157929)
ok we're here now. very very disturbing to this canadian/uk citizen living in the usa to see a uk national being told they need a visa to enter the us... crazy!

When I lived in Canada I had to show my UK passport when crossing to the US. The passport stated that I was a resident of Canada. A UK national
whose residence is still the UK obviously needs a visa to enter the US. That's the way it's always been

Wintersong Jan 22nd 2017 5:21 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12158021)
A UK national
whose residence is still the UK obviously needs a visa to enter the US. That's the way it's always been

Did you really just say this?

Pollyana Jan 22nd 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12158021)
When I lived in Canada I had to show my UK passport when crossing to the US. The passport stated that I was a resident of Canada. A UK national

:confused::confused:

dc koop Jan 22nd 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 12158025)
Did you really just say this?

Why ? Don't UK nationals need a visa to enter the US? if it's changed I wasn't aware of it

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 22nd 2017 6:05 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12158034)
Why ? Don't UK nationals need a visa to enter the US? if it's changed I wasn't aware of it

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...r-program.html

dc koop Jan 22nd 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12158043)

Thanks. Hadn't hear about a visa waiver program. Things have changed since I left the UK

christmasoompa Jan 22nd 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12158044)
Thanks. Hadn't hear about a visa waiver program. Things have changed since I left the UK

The VWP has been in place almost 20 years for the UK, must have been a heck of a long time ago that you left so I guess not surprising that immigration rules may have changed in that time. :lol:

robin1234 Jan 22nd 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12158051)
The VWP has been in place almost 20 years for the UK, must have been a heck of a long time ago that you left so I guess not surprising that immigration rules may have changed in that time. :lol:

Someone will have to break it gently to dc koop - Britain is now a member of the EU. No more Empire Preference. And King George VI died. :unsure:

Wintersong Jan 22nd 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12158055)
Someone will have to break it gently to dc koop - Britain is now a member of the EU. No more Empire Preference. And King George VI died. :unsure:

Well, if he doesn't know about the EU, at least we don't have to worry about breaking the Brexit news :lol:

Wintersong Jan 22nd 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12158051)

30!

robin1234 Jan 22nd 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 12158063)
Well, if he doesn't know about the EU, at least we don't have to worry about breaking the Brexit news :lol:

Plus by the time he catches up there'll probably be another King George on the throne!!