Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

yep it's already started!

yep it's already started!

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yep it's already started!

Originally Posted by dc koop
Very strange. If you listen to the average Aussie the only place worth living in is Australia
Not in my world they don't. Everyone I speak to about Australia (doesn't happen that often anymore tbh) are jealous I am (currently) able to live anywhere in Europe. They fully admit that Aus is just another country with issues.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:37 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well I was out there with my placard at the London march on Saturday, there were tens of thousands of people there, and no one was wailing or weeping. In fact it was a joyful and positive event. Lots of children, some pretty funny home made signs, lots of dogs accompanying and enjoying! Mind you, good weather helped.
What has Trump got to do with womens rights in the UK ? Are American women oppressed, suffering inequality , second class citizens in our society?
Hardly so. I can understand the concerns of the LGBT but otherwise these demonstrations to me are nothing more than a mass resentment that a female failed to win the Presidency.

If we have Trump in the White House today it's because of Hillary. She was a lousy candidate, ran a lousy campaign and carried too much baggage into the campaign as well as representing a party that has tragically lost it's identity with the very people who traditionally supported it.

Maybe the Democrats learned a hard lesson from this

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 23rd 2017 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

What has Trump got to do with womens rights in the UK ? Are American women oppressed, suffering inequality , second class citizens in our society?

Women have learned the hard way that the only way to attain and retain their rights is to present a united front. The erosion of women's rights in one country can lead to the domino effect. I am thrilled that women worldwide realize just what a watershed moment is happening in the US. And as to your second sentence, yes, yes, and yes.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Women have learned the hard way that the only way to attain and retain their rights is to present a united front. The erosion of women's rights in one country can lead to the domino effect. I am thrilled that women worldwide realize just what a watershed moment is happening in the US. And as to your second sentence, yes, yes, and yes.
Ironically the first country leader to visit DC for talks with Donald Trump, this Friday, is going to be a woman.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly so. I can understand the concerns of the LGBT but otherwise these demonstrations to me are nothing more than a mass resentment that a female failed to win the Presidency.

If we have Trump in the White House today it's because of Hillary. She was a lousy candidate, ran a lousy campaign and carried too much baggage into the campaign as well as representing a party that has tragically lost it's identity with the very people who traditionally supported it.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ironically the first country leader to visit DC for talks with Donald Trump, this Friday, is going to be a woman.
Yeah whatever
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah whatever
Well this whole "street protest thing" is one giant "Yeah whatever".
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize that these demonstrations were planned in advance of last November's elections in order to promote women's rights at the start of a new presidency, whoever that president might be?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You do realize that these demonstrations were planned in advance of last November's elections in order to promote women's rights at the start of a new presidency, whoever that president might be?
Well it didn't turn out to be quite the coronation celebration that the organizers anticipated, did it?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that you believe "White male privilege" does not exist in the US. The US is years behind the Europe in equality in society.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well it didn't turn out to be quite the coronation celebration that the organizers anticipated, did it?
If you think that the protests were organized as a "coronation celebration" I'm not sure where you have been living in recent years, given attacks on women's right in many states. Hence, also, the global nature of the protests.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:18 pm

If you think that the protests were organized as a "coronation celebration" I'm not sure where you have been living in recent years, given attacks on women's right in many states. Hence, also, the global nature of the protests.
You linked the protests to the US elections, and by implication to the inauguration, and to suggest the date was a coincidence is, to say the least, implausible.

Therefore, given the mood before the election, there can be no doubt that the organizers of the protest in DC had a specific expectation as to who was going to have been just inaugurated. Hëll, last October I had the same expectation fear myself!

And it's a great pity, I hope you agree, that a protest in support of women's rights appears to have been entirely redirected as a protest against the US and President Trump.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 23rd 2017 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:21 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You linked the protests to the US elections, and by implication to the inauguration, and to suggest the date was a coincidence is, to say the least, implausible.
A nice strawman given there was no claim on my part that it was a coincidence.

Therefore, given the mood before the election, there can be no doubt that the organizers of the protests in DC had a specific expectation as to who was going to have been just inaugurated. Hëll, last October I had the same [strike]expectation[strike] fear myself!
I'm sure the organizers would have preferred Clinton as president. But to claim that the march was planned as a ""coronation celebration" is plain silly given what has been happening in the US at state level and worldwide in general.

And it's a great pity, I hope you agree, that a protest in support of women's rights appears to have been entirely redirected as a protest against the US and President Trump.
I somehow doubt women's rights are going to be furthered by Trump's presidency.

Protest against the US? How so?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 23rd 2017 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:25 pm

..... But to claim that the march was planned as a ""coronation celebration" is plain silly given what has been happening in the US at state level and worldwide in general.
Now who's playing the straw man card? I was only talking about the protest in DC.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:25 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The US is not the kind of country where anyone's rights can be threatened with forfeiture. On the other hand groups such as the LGBT do have a struggle on their hands for universal acceptance but it's only a matter of time before that will finally happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.