Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WTF in America Part 2

WTF in America Part 2

Old Apr 8th 2023, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America Part 2

So roundabouts are becoming more common in the US. There are certainly an increasing number in NC, but until recently they were generally quite small and/ or just a single lane wide. One of the recent additions has two lanes around most of it, and has stayed largely accident-free, at least based on my observations as I traverse it twice a day most days. So for anyone familiar with driving in the UK, there is nothing particularly remarkable about the roundabouts that have been built, especially in recent years, in the US, until now. .... Because Newhaven, CT has built a peanut roundabout!
Old Apr 8th 2023, 8:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If that was in the UK, then that probably wasn't legal - under UK law, a contract document is deemed accepted at the time it is mailed.

As a very old (I believe from the early days of the postal service, in Victorian times) tenet of contract law in the UK, I suspect that it is the same in the US.
Takes me back 50 years as a young 1L. The “mail box rule” was established by the case of Adams v Lindsell in 1818. Victoria had not been born yet. Do note that it applies to your normal bilateral contract which is formed by offer and acceptance. I’m not at all sure how it applies to cancellation of an existing contract.
Old Apr 8th 2023, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So roundabouts are becoming more common in the US. There are certainly an increasing number in NC, but until recently they were generally quite small and/ or just a single lane wide. One of the recent additions has two lanes around most of it, and has stayed largely accident-free, at least based on my observations as I traverse it twice a day most days. So for anyone familiar with driving in the UK, there is nothing particularly remarkable about the roundabouts that have been built, especially in recent years, in the US, until now. .... Because Newhaven, CT has built a peanut roundabout!
https://youtube.com/shorts/eWO2UUeATlk?feature=share
They put in an oversized roundabout near me about 10 years ago, to replace what was a 4-way stop interchange. I thought it was a wonderful addition, though thoroughly over-engineered. I can now sail through that intersection without even slowing down most of the time, compared to minutes of stop/go waiting to get through the 4-way stop. The biggest problem by far is, people not entering the roundabout when it's clear to do so, and then ... even worse - people stopping ON the roundabout, when they see vehicles approaching it!

Well, it seems not everyone likes it, and there have been quite a few cyclist deaths. So now, they've actually cordoned off a couple of the (over-engineered) 'right turn only' lanes, which effectively let you have an almost guaranteed delay-free right turn. There are big signs up announcing 'community meetings' to discuss what changes need to be made! It's crazy.

Old Apr 9th 2023, 11:20 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

A business with several branches around the Seattle area. The Fuzzy Wuzzy Rug Cleaning Company its own web page says it was named because the Englishman who came to America to found the business admired Kipling's poem.
Old Apr 10th 2023, 12:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
A business with several branches around the Seattle area. The Fuzzy Wuzzy Rug Cleaning Company its own web page says it was named because the Englishman who came to America to found the business admired Kipling's poem.
I looked in the blog and the history section, didn’t see the reference to Kipling’s poem. Have they taken it down since you looked, or is it hidden in there?
Old Apr 10th 2023, 2:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I looked in the blog and the history section, didn’t see the reference to Kipling’s poem. Have they taken it down since you looked, or is it hidden in there?
The business was originally known as Ellison’s Fuzzy Wuzzy Rug Factory. Joe Ellison was a great admirer of Rudyard Kipling, and of his poem “Fuzzy-Wuzzy
​​​​​​​it's in the "what's in a name" section on the History page.
Old Apr 11th 2023, 3:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
it's in the "what's in a name" section on the History page.
OK, thanks, I guess I didn’t scroll down. On the subject of oddly named businesses, we have this from my neck of the woods.

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....falls-gun-shop

So, the other recent burglary - was it shoes, or guns, that were targeted?
Old Apr 12th 2023, 7:35 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking about Roundabouts on a similar note, Have any of you every encountered a Diverging Diamond traffic intersection? What did you think of it if you have encountered one of them?

Old Apr 12th 2023, 8:12 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Speaking about Roundabouts on a similar note, Have any of you every encountered a Diverging Diamond traffic intersection? What did you think of it if you have encountered one of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBOTfrwjus
Winton Road exit from I-590 coming from Rochester International Airport (ROC) in New York.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 2:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, several have been built/ converted here in NC, and of the ones I have encountered I am distinctly underwhelmed, as IMO they do not work as described in any of the articles I have seen.

Specifically the stated intention, as I understand it, is that when traffic exiting from the interstate/ major highway, gets a green light to turn left or right into the junction, that traffic will only see green lights and can leave the area without delay. As stated, that is supposed to be the point of a DD junction, to allow the timing of the lights on the exit ramps to be varied to ensure that traffic doesn't back up onto the interstate, and the road layout should allow this, as traffic turning left never crosses the path of traffic entering from the interstate exit ramp at the far end of the bridge. Eventually traffic leaving one ramp turning left will exit the junction beyond the far end of the bridge parallel to traffic that has turned right from the opposite exit ramp.

However in most cases, on turning left into the junction I commonly still get caught at the lights at the far end of the bridge. It seems to be a problem generated by poor traffic light programming and/or flexible light timings designed, at least at some times of day, to keep traffic flowing across the bridge at the expense of delaying traffic leaving the interstate.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 12th 2023 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 2:51 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Iused to live in Raleigh and their were several of them in the Triangle area and I was NOT a fan. I think they probably cause a number of accidents when unfamiliar drivers encounter them.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 3:35 pm

Iused to live in Raleigh and their were several of them in the Triangle area and I was NOT a fan. I think they probably cause a number of accidents .....
Never underestimate the ability of American drivers to have stupid accidents. 🙄

Shortly after I moved to NC I noticed an accident report that was a near duplicate of one I read just a few weeks earlier, but it was a different accident. I then began to see the same report repeated frequently every few weeks, year after year. Firstly, the reason the accident was reported was that there was at least one fatality, and I would assume there are around ten non-fatal but similar accidents for each reported fatal accident.

The report reads roughly as follows: "The driver ran off the right side of the road then ..." either "... hit a tree" or "... over-corrected and came back onto the road and ... " and either "... went off the other side of the road and hit a tree.", or "... drove into oncoming traffic." This pattern of reported accidents has been ongoing since I arrived in NC, and presumably for years beforehand, but is certainly continuing to this day.

I used to work with somone who had been a cop in Florida, and he said it's exactly the same there, except that "tree" is replaced with river, canal, pond, or lake, but with the same outcome - dead car occupants.

There is a tree along side the road not far from Pulaski Manor than has been hit twice in fatal accidents since I moved here, once from each direction. The tree is maybe 6-8ft back from the roar edge, and the road at that point is straight and nearly flat so there is no reason why that tree should have been involved in two accidents, and it certainly didn't cause the accidents.

FWIW a few hundred feet away from the tree, another driver slammed into a tractor-trailer ("artic") emerging from a business, killing himself and severely injuring his wife. When on that road I frequently wonder how that was possible too, as the location of the collision was visible for at least a quarter mile away, it was day time, with neither rain nor cloud, nor was the driver even facing the sun.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 12th 2023 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
They put in an oversized roundabout near me about 10 years ago, to replace what was a 4-way stop interchange. I thought it was a wonderful addition, though thoroughly over-engineered. I can now sail through that intersection without even slowing down most of the time, compared to minutes of stop/go waiting to get through the 4-way stop. The biggest problem by far is, people not entering the roundabout when it's clear to do so, and then ... even worse - people stopping ON the roundabout, when they see vehicles approaching it!

Well, it seems not everyone likes it, and there have been quite a few cyclist deaths. So now, they've actually cordoned off a couple of the (over-engineered) 'right turn only' lanes, which effectively let you have an almost guaranteed delay-free right turn. There are big signs up announcing 'community meetings' to discuss what changes need to be made! It's crazy.

I used that junction nearly every day for 15 years and I always used to say it was perfect for a roundabout. And then they put in this over-engineered thing that puts cyclists coming down Pleasant Hill Rd at risk. But as you say the biggest problem is that drivers don't know how to drive a flippin' roundabout! It wouldn't at all surprise me if they reverted to the crazy stop signs that you sat at for ever.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 12th 2023 at 4:03 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2023, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Just when you thought these people couldn't get any more moronic: . . .
INsanitty
OUTsanity
total madness...

South Dakota governor says her two-year-old grandchild has several guns

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...child-guns-nra
Old Apr 15th 2023, 6:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
INsanitty
OUTsanity
total madness...

South Dakota governor says her two-year-old grandchild has several guns

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...child-guns-nra
Astonishingly it appears to be legal too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.