WTF in America

Old Aug 1st 2022, 3:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Its also very strange that two major issues happening at same time. Pilot falling out of airplane and landing gear malfunction causing emergency landing. I wonder if the co-pilot could have been hanging out the door trying to confirm landing gear position and fell out. That would explain both events.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't help likening that to looking down the barrel of a gun after it didn't fire.

I expect someone will be along to confirm it's quite common to check the landing gear like that.
Yeah, that is Dan Gryder's theory - he posted a YouTube video yesterday on the subject, though YouTube has a habit of yanking his videos, so it may not be there today. Anyway Dan is a pilot, jump pilot, and parachutist, who has jumped out of that model of plane, who said that laying on the ramp gate is something that is sometimes done, but the ramp on that plane flaps and shakes and you'd need to be wearing a parachute to even think about trying such a risky maneuver.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Its also very strange that two major issues happening at same time. Pilot falling out of airplane and landing gear malfunction causing emergency landing. I wonder if the co-pilot could have been hanging out the door trying to confirm landing gear position and fell out. That would explain both events.
Dumb, non-flyer comment here ... couldn't you just radio the flight controller at the airport and ask them to tell you what they see? Or was this an un-manned airport?

Many, many years ago I was flying into Oakland International Airport when the pilot announced 'a slight problem'. 'we are having problems with our landing gear so we are going to do a low fly-over the control tower so they can take a look for us' - something like that! Apparently things looked 'good enough to try to land', and we did - the whole runway was filled with emergency vehicles in case things went wrong! Thankfully the whole thing was over in a few minutes (from his first announcement) but I do recall having strange 'is this the end?' thoughts ... Forgot all about this until reading this thread!
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Dumb, non-flyer comment here ... couldn't you just radio the flight controller at the airport and ask them to tell you what they see? Or was this an un-manned airport?

Many, many years ago I was flying into Oakland International Airport when the pilot announced 'a slight problem'. 'we are having problems with our landing gear so we are going to do a low fly-over the control tower so they can take a look for us' - something like that! Apparently things looked 'good enough to try to land', and we did - the whole runway was filled with emergency vehicles in case things went wrong! Thankfully the whole thing was over in a few minutes (from his first announcement) but I do recall having strange 'is this the end?' thoughts ... Forgot all about this until reading this thread!
The pilot fell out thirty miles before the landing which is way to early to put gear down. It could have not retracted properly from original take off and they were trying to recycle to get in-stuck.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This has to be the headline of the day! Laughing at it is so, so wrong, but I challenge you not to.

The story itself is bizarre, and there are no details ab
out how/ why a copilot fell out of a plane, to his death, several miles before the plane landed, but a journalist spoke to his father, which led to this headline: "23-year-old pilot dies while pursuing his dream of flying, his father says"
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The pilot fell out thirty miles before the landing which is way to early to put gear down. It could have not retracted properly from original take off and they were trying to recycle to get in-stuck.
The plane has fixed/ non-retractable landing gear, and apparently one wheel "just fell off", and this occured, from the reports I have heard, at the time of the plane taking off.
Originally Posted by tht
I have only been on 1 plane in my life where this could have happened easily/by accident. It was a sky diving plane in New Zealand. There was no co pilots seat, just an open door covered with a sheet of plastic for jumping out of.. and the pilot was also wearing a parachute. It sounds like less of an accident.
I have learned in the past couple of days that it is common in the US, and presumably elsewhere, for there to be a requirement for everyone on a plane used for dropping parachutists, to wear a parachute (referred to, IIRC as "all out" rules, meaning everyone has to be prepared to leave the plane in flight, presumably to cover the possibilty of a pilot either falling out of a small plane or needing to visit the rear of a larger plane while the door is open), unless there is a special harness in use to stop people accidently falling out - typically this would be used by a "jump master" on the plane, which is how the miliary do things when paratroopers are jumping from the tail door of a C130 Hercules. The plane in this case only carried 12 passengers, but has a rear ramp door similar to the rear door of a C130 Hercules and other military transport aircraft.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 3rd 2022 at 7:51 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 7:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The plane has fixed/ non-retractable landing gear, and apparently one wheel "just fell off", and this occured, from the reports I have heard, at the time of the plane taking off.

I have learned in the past couple of days that it is common in the US, and presumably elsewhere, for there to be a requirement for everyone on a plane used for dropping parachutists, to wear a parachute (referred to, IIRC as "all out" rules, meaning everyone has to be prepared to leave the plane in flight), unless there is a special harness in use to stop people accidently falling out - typically this would be used by a "jump master" on the plane, which is how the miliary do things when paratroopers are jumping from the tail door of a C130 Hercules. The plane in this case only carried 12 passengers, but has a rear ramp door similar to the rear door of a C130 Hercules and other military transport aircraft.
that would make sense… I chalked it up to plane only having one pilot and also the terrible state it seems to be in… things only got worse on the ground the area they packed the parachutes (looked like a cricket “batting cage” but with a thicker covering) smelled like weed was being smoked in there, not sure how parachutes would fare against any thing hot or burning being dropped… and then to top off the day the coupe of jumpers on the plane after us decided to naked (still strapped to the front of an instructor)… was an interesting sight to see…. Wind vs anatomy.

I think that is only the 3rd flight I have been on that only had 1 pilot up front, the other 2 I was in the front, 1 as a passenger on a Cape Air flight and another I was “flying” the plane down in NZ. Having been on a a TA flight where an engine was turned off a little over half way over to London I am definitely a fan of N+x engines and N+x pilots/FO.
Old Aug 5th 2022, 3:52 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Licence to print money?
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spence...plans-n2611137
Old Aug 5th 2022, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ivanidea
Licence to print money? ....
I can't help but wonder what the plan was with the $200 tier of the buy-back program?

All weapons that are "fully automatic" are covered by a federal registration law, which covers a finite number of already-registered weapons - it is illegal to manufacture or import a fully automatic weapon, without exception; only currently registered fully automatic weapons can be transferred. The market price for such weapons, because of their rarity starts at around $10,000.
Old Aug 18th 2022, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

It's been revealed that he jumped out because he got upset. He'd damaged the plane while trying to land. If you're going to get upset, it's better to get upset on the ground, where you can leave the room and walk away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-say-rcna43449
Old Aug 18th 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by vespucci
It's been revealed that he jumped out because he got upset. He'd damaged the plane while trying to land. If you're going to get upset, it's better to get upset on the ground, where you can leave the room and walk away. ....
I saw that. It is pretty horrific, to think that he had about 15seconds to realize what a terrible overreaction he had made!

That said, while I wish his family peace at this distressing time, I am glad that he won't be progressing towards his reported career goal of becoming an airline pilot as he clearly wasn't suitable; certainly not mentally, and perhaps without the competence either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2022 at 4:34 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 7:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The casualness of the racism that is just under the surface with so many Americans. You can imagine him telling people about this ..."I'm not racist..."
[Twitter link may be hidden]
Old Oct 2nd 2022, 8:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The casualness of the racism that is just under the surface with so many Americans. You can imagine him telling people about this ..."I'm not racist..."
https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/s...27344525221890
It was but no longer
Old Oct 4th 2022, 11:57 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/s...27344525221890

That isn't a word that really slips out by mistake, is it. Not part of a person's general vocabulary as a rule.

My contribution for the day - my son told me that out of his graduating high school class of almost 1000 kids four years ago (yes, big school), he knows of 12 who are now dead from gunshot, and one who is in prison for murder.
Old Oct 4th 2022, 1:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My contribution for the day - my son told me that out of his graduating high school class of almost 1000 kids four years ago (yes, big school), he knows of 12 who are now dead from gunshot, and one who is in prison for murder.
Say, that's pretty good. An 11 out of 12 chance of getting away with it.

(yes, I know...)
Old Dec 28th 2022, 8:54 pm

So the police raided the hospital room of a man with terminal, inoperable cancer who will be dead in a few weeks and who is unable to stand without help. The raid was because he had been vaping a cannabis extract after he had been told by his doctor, to do whatever he needed to do to make himself comfortable - but even medicinal cannabis isn't legal in Kansas. He has been cited to appear in court in January.

How did the police know? .... His vaping was reported by a hospital employee!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.