WTF in America

Old Apr 17th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I never order black tea in the US because it's always going to be a teabag in some warm - not hot - water. The reality is that you need boiling water and you need to let it steep - love that word - for a few minutes before drinking. During that steeping period, the water is going to cool from boiling to a temperature that isn't going to burn your mouth.
Agreed, and then they are going to offer you some disgusting creamer to put in it. Yuck!
Old Apr 17th 2021, 4:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Agreed, and then they are going to offer you some disgusting creamer to put in it. Yuck!
Why don't they just use boiling water ?
Old Apr 17th 2021, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Why don't they just use boiling water ?
I think it's because they don't have 'kettles' to boil the water; they use the same gear as they do for coffee. You may not be aware, but tea drinking (especially plain old-fashioned 'black tea', like PG Tips (UK) or Liptons (US) ) is a minority passtime in the US. It's 99% coffee here. Perhaps a bit like it was in the UK for coffee, 50 years ago.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 5:20 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think it's because they don't have 'kettles' to boil the water; they use the same gear as they do for coffee. You may not be aware, but tea drinking (especially plain old-fashioned 'black tea', like PG Tips (UK) or Liptons (US) ) is a minority passtime in the US. It's 99% coffee here. Perhaps a bit like it was in the UK for coffee, 50 years ago.
also, some Americans drink tisanes (infusions), mistakenly calling them teas, most tisanes do not need boiling water., this actually leads some Americans to be under the misapprehension that black tea is best brewed with non-boiling water.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 17th 2021 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 5:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I see. If it's that much of minority pastime then it's understandable. I think Canada does better, but can't be sure. A while since I've had Canadian tea.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about this. First, the British have always been pretty big coffee drinkers. And, I don’t think I know any Americans who don’t drink hot tea, on occasion. Plenty of different styles of tea, but actual tea, not herbal infusions. We lived in Boston for many years and we have a few close friends there who are of Irish ancestry - not fresh of the boat, but maybe third or fourth generation Americans. They all drink tea British (or Irish) style - teapot, tea cosy, very strong, milk - the whole bit.

Obviously, these are just anecdotal observations. Thing is, it’s not either or for most people. Loads of people drink (both) tea and coffee. What’s not anecdotal is the supermarket shelf space devoted to tea vs. herbal infusions vs. coffee. Around here, it’s probably 1:1:2 (tea, herbal, coffee.)
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Not sure about this. First, the British have always been pretty big coffee drinkers. And, I don’t think I know any Americans who don’t drink hot tea, on occasion. Plenty of different styles of tea, but actual tea, not herbal infusions. We lived in Boston for many years and we have a few close friends there who are of Irish ancestry - not fresh of the boat, but maybe third or fourth generation Americans. They all drink tea British (or Irish) style - teapot, tea cosy, very strong, milk - the whole bit.

Obviously, these are just anecdotal observations. Thing is, it’s not either or for most people. Loads of people drink (both) tea and coffee. What’s not anecdotal is the supermarket shelf space devoted to tea vs. herbal infusions vs. coffee. Around here, it’s probably 1:1:2 (tea, herbal, coffee.)
But once you you get rid of that sachet around the bag, (we will ignore the bag itself) cut off that line and tag attached to each bag, remove the plastic and carboard tray around every 20 or so bags. Some of these boxes are a mere 20 piss-weak cups of tea. I will have to do research on cups of decent tea in an overly packaged box of tea bags compared to a box stuffed with tea bags and nothing else. I will leave you to use your University contacts to obtain my funding.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I see. If it's that much of minority pastime then it's understandable. I think Canada does better, but can't be sure. A while since I've had Canadian tea.
My observation is that mass market tea in Canada is as mediocre as in the US. When we first moved to northern NY, we used to buy English Breakfast Tea from Loblaws in Canada, their own brand. After a few months I realized that it was no better than the US supermarket equivalent.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by kimilseung
But once you you get rid of that sachet around the bag, (we will ignore the bag itself) cut off that line and tag attached to each bag, remove the plastic and carboard tray around every 20 or so bags. Some of these boxes are a mere 20 piss-weak cups of tea. I will have to do research on cups of decent tea in an overly packaged box of tea bags compared to a box stuffed with tea bags and nothing else. I will leave you to use your University contacts to obtain my funding.
But cheaper tea in the US is packaged just like in the UK - just tea bags, no strings, tags, or individual wraps. It’s the more expensive brands, Bigelows, for instance, that have all the unnecessary extras. Problem is (in my view) both expensive and cheap tea in the US is weak, tasteless and poor quality. (I’m just talking about black tea here.)
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:33 pm
He/him

But cheaper tea in the US is packaged just like in the UK - just tea bags, no strings, tags, or individual wraps. It’s the more expensive brands, Bigelows, for instance, that have all the unnecessary extras. Problem is (in my view) both expensive and cheap tea in the US is weak, tasteless and poor quality. (I’m just talking about black tea here.)
I wonder if this is regional?
In the two grocery stores I frequent (not the middle-class style stores like Trader Joes) the only option that doesn't have excessive packaging (Lipton, Red Rose et al) is Tetley British blend.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I wonder if this is regional?
In the two grocery stores I frequent (not the middle-class style stores like Trader Joes) the only option that doesn't have excessive packaging (Lipton, Red Rose et al) is Tetley British blend.
That is what I’m wondering. Maybe northeast US is more into cheap mass-market black tea. We have the expensive packets of 20 bags, excessively packaged, but we also have several brands of cheapo tea in 40s and 80s, with no individual wrapping/tags. Including the supermarket own-brand.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I guess another dimension is Jews, east Europeans, people from the Middle East are likely to be tea drinkers... and this describes a high proportion of the people I know in the US ....
Old Apr 17th 2021, 7:00 pm
He/him

I guess another dimension is Jews, east Europeans, people from the Middle East are likely to be tea drinkers... and this describes a high proportion of the people I know in the US ....
Good point, I will have to check the stores on the other side of Lake Washington from Seattle, next time I am over there, in Bellevue, and Redmond, where a bigger population of South Asians live.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 1:07 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, I will have to check the stores on the other side of Lake Washington from Seattle, next time I am over there, in Bellevue, and Redmond, where a bigger population of South Asians live.
Look, if you want some PG Tips sent over, just ask
Spoiler:
Oops, sorry

I thought my wife was dropping hints again...

Old Apr 24th 2021, 2:51 am
He/him

The Tuttle Twins
Books for small kids to teach them about the Freedums that are never ever mentioned in the wider society, EVER!
A book series that is now crowdfunding for an animation series.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.