WTF in America

Old Mar 17th 2021, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wish I knew Lion, or at least I wish someone knew because then it might be able to be fixed.

Better mental health services?
Access to a decent standard of living (ie basic needs properly met) for everyone?
Access to good education for everyone?
Effective and properly funded early intervention programs for young people displaying anti-social or other troubling behaviours?
Gun control? (now I've done it)

American society is just more violent, why I don't know.

If you really break it down, Canada doesn't provide access to quality of living for all, and lots in Canada can't meet their basic needs. Our mental health system sucks, education is expensive beyond grade 12 although our K-12 tends to be better than US. We do have control on guns, but guns are not difficult to obtain if you really want one.

What makes US society so much more violent vs Canada that is the question.

Yes we have occasional mass shootings in Canada but not at the level the US does.
Old Mar 17th 2021, 9:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
American society is just more violent, why I don't know.

If you really break it down, Canada doesn't provide access to quality of living for all, and lots in Canada can't meet their basic needs. Our mental health system sucks, education is expensive beyond grade 12 although our K-12 tends to be better than US. We do have control on guns, but guns are not difficult to obtain if you really want one.

What makes US society so much more violent vs Canada that is the question.

Yes we have occasional mass shootings in Canada but not at the level the US does.
Maybe it's just not cold enough in the US. Canadian winter does tend to encourage mutual dependency.

Old Mar 22nd 2021, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

FBI has released it's report on the Christmas Day bombing in Nashville.

- Anthony Quinn Warner acted alone, and determined not to be terrorism.

"FBI assesses Warner’s detonation of the improvised explosive device was an intentional act in an effort to end his own life, driven in part by a totality of life stressors – including paranoia, long-held individualized beliefs adopted from several eccentric conspiracy theories, and the loss of stabilizing anchors and deteriorating interpersonal relationships."

" FBI assesses Warner specifically chose the location and timing of the bombing so that it would be impactful, while still minimizing the likelihood of causing undue injury.
"

"It is important to note that only Warner knows the real reason why he detonated his explosive device. However, at this time, the FBI is confident, based on evidence collected, Warner’s own writings, and interviews with those who knew him best, that the above assessment is accurate."

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field...hville-bombing
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:24 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Not a shooting, but that's a lot of guns to take shopping.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/atlanta...ody-armor/#app
Old Mar 26th 2021, 12:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Safeway in Boulder ast week and bathrooms were locked due to Covid.

Listening for clicking from the adjacent stall is pretty much an essential nowadays.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:04 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wonder what the 5 felonies were.

A bit more in this https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/news/rico-marley/amp/

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 26th 2021 at 1:11 am.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Could have put this one in the aircraft thread as well. Fortunately, I don't drive a Hyundai:

"“F—king weirdos, probably driving around in f—king Hyundais, f—king roads and s—t that go slow as f—k,” and, “You don’t have balls unless you’re f—king rolling coal, man, goddamn it.”

And the FAA's response:

In a statement, FAA spokesperson Ian Gregor wrote, "FAA regulations prohibit airline pilots from talking about subjects that are unrelated to safely conducting their flight while taxiing and while flying below 10,000 feet altitude."

So I guess it's fine to go on an expletive-filled rant once you're at 10,001 feet.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-16049942.php

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 26th 2021 at 1:19 am.
Old Mar 26th 2021, 1:59 am
Account Closed

His employer will likely reprimand him in some fashion, FCC may have a chat about proper usage of communicating over radios as well, they don't like expletive filled rants over public airwaves.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Could have put this one in the aircraft thread as well. Fortunately, I don't drive a Hyundai:

"“F—king weirdos, probably driving around in f—king Hyundais, f—king roads and s—t that go slow as f—k,” and, “You don’t have balls unless you’re f—king rolling coal, man, goddamn it.”

And the FAA's response:

In a statement, FAA spokesperson Ian Gregor wrote, "FAA regulations prohibit airline pilots from talking about subjects that are unrelated to safely conducting their flight while taxiing and while flying below 10,000 feet altitude."

So I guess it's fine to go on an expletive-filled rant once you're at 10,001 feet.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...t-16049942.php
Old Mar 26th 2021, 3:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yay for Instacart shoppers
Old Mar 29th 2021, 9:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This was first posted by LizzyQ over in the 'food' thread, but since it's way off-topic for that thread, I'm posting it here because I think it's an hilarious story!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/us/go...rnd/index.html

This first came up because I was talking about how you can gain insight into a country by observing how they handle warning labels. In the US, we are 'lawsuit averse' and put stupid warnings on beverage cups like "warning: contents may be hot", since one idiotic woman once spilled hot coffee on herself and decided to sue McDonalds (and won!). European countries, by comparison, may be more inclined to require warning labels because they think people can't be trusted to, well ... think for themselves.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This was first posted by LizzyQ over in the 'food' thread, but since it's way off-topic for that thread, I'm posting it here because I think it's an hilarious story!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/us/go...rnd/index.html

This first came up because I was talking about how you can gain insight into a country by observing how they handle warning labels. In the US, we are 'lawsuit averse' and put stupid warnings on beverage cups like "warning: contents may be hot", since one idiotic woman once spilled hot coffee on herself and decided to sue McDonalds (and won!). European countries, by comparison, may be more inclined to require warning labels because they think people can't be trusted to, well ... think for themselves.
If you ever bought coffee from a fast food in the 80s or 90s ... you might not call the woman idiotic. They would serve coffee so hot, I wouldn't drink it for 30 minutes otherwise it would literally scald my tongue for days. I worked at a cafe in high school that served boiling (with bubbles) coffee. The woman that spilled the coffee on herself suffered 3rd degree burns --- through her clothing. She had to have multiple skin grafts. It wasn't a frivolous law suit but the media and public ridiculed the woman based one the smear campaign launched by McDonalds who, of course, had much deeper pockets.

As a result, they put the warnings on the cups as a disclaimer but the food industry did the right thing when stopped the practice of serving boiling coffee.

Third degree burns can kill you.

Old Apr 8th 2021, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you ever bought coffee from a fast food in the 80s or 90s ... you might not call the woman idiotic. They would serve coffee so hot, I wouldn't drink it for 30 minutes otherwise it would literally scald my tongue for days. I worked at a cafe in high school that served boiling (with bubbles) coffee. The woman that spilled the coffee on herself suffered 3rd degree burns --- through her clothing. She had to have multiple skin grafts. It wasn't a frivolous law suit but the media and public ridiculed the woman based one the smear campaign launched by McDonalds who, of course, had much deeper pockets.

As a result, they put the warnings on the cups as a disclaimer but the food industry did the right thing when stopped the practice of serving boiling coffee.

Third degree burns can kill you.

OK, I'll consider myself better educated now, and I respect your input, but still - isn't there some level of expectation that a cup of hot coffee will be ... 'hot'? Back in the 80s I was a daily visitor to the McDonalds drive-thru for my breakfast while on the way to work, and I treated that cup with the respect I thought it deserved.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 10:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, I'll consider myself better educated now, and I respect your input, but still - isn't there some level of expectation that a cup of hot coffee will be ... 'hot'? Back in the 80s I was a daily visitor to the McDonalds drive-thru for my breakfast while on the way to work, and I treated that cup with the respect I thought it deserved.
I think that's a fair assessment but there is a difference between hot and scalding. She wasn't wantonly flinging the coffee on her torso and pelvic area. She wasn't driving at the time, she had removed the lid to add cream and (obviously) spilled it on herself. In court, McDonald's admitted that it was their policy to serve scalding hot coffee (there had been previous complaints and lawsuits) and they had protocols in place to "hold" the coffee at that heat. And, for some inexplicable reason, they didn't warn their customers. It's like when they bring out Mexican food that's been cooked on the plate and they say, "Watch out, that plate is hot." I don't automatically assume that plates are hot (unless I order the same dish from the same place every time) and I don't automatically assume coffee is so hot that you can't drink it without removing a layer of flesh. The strangest part of this story to me is that boiling coffee cools off incredibly fast. I use the boiling water / coffee thermos method every morning. By the time the boiling water has passed through the coffee filter --- it is drinkable. Hot but drinkable. Just like the hot plates at the restaurant, within a minute or two the plate has cooled enough to touch.

It was, at the end of the day, a bizarre and unsafe practice. That's why she won the lawsuit. If it had just been 'hot' then she would have only suffered first or second degree burns.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 8th 2021 at 10:27 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think that's a fair assessment but there is a difference between hot and scalding. She wasn't wantonly flinging the coffee on her torso and pelvic area. She wasn't driving at the time, she had removed the lid to add cream and (obviously) spilled it on herself. In court, McDonald's admitted that it was their policy to serve scalding hot coffee (there had been previous complaints and lawsuits) and they had protocols in place to "hold" the coffee at that heat. And, for some inexplicable reason, they didn't warn their customers. It's like when they bring out Mexican food that's been cooked on the plate and they say, "Watch out, that plate is hot." I don't automatically assume that plates are hot (unless I order the same dish from the same place every time) and I don't automatically assume coffee is so hot that you can't drink it without removing a layer of flesh. The strangest part of this story to me is that boiling coffee cools off incredibly fast. I use the boiling water / coffee thermos method every morning. By the time the boiling water has passed through the coffee filter --- it is drinkable. Hot but drinkable. Just like the hot plates at the restaurant, within a minute or two the plate has cooled enough to touch.

It was, at the end of the day, a bizarre and unsafe practice. That's why she won the lawsuit. If it had just been 'hot' then she would have only suffered first or second degree burns.
Interesting. Did they ever explain why they maintained the coffee at such a high temperature? I personally really appreciated it because I liked to dump in a bunch of milk/cream, and the combination of hot coffee and cold milk seemed to arrive at a decent temperature.

But anyway - given that this is a Brit forum, and Brits are famous for drinking tea, one of the universal complaints I've always heard from 'Brits in America' is that when they order 'tea', they are provided with lukewarm water and a teabag! Any self-respecting (British) tea drinker goes out of their way to make and keep the water as hot as possible; pre-heating the pot, immediately putting a 'cosy' on it, etc. So while I might agree with you that there's no compelling reason to maintain coffee at such a high temp, I would think any brit visiting a McD for tea would be dismayed to receive water that was anything but 'just off the boil'. I think when I first came here I was a tea drinker, and it was the inability to readily get 'proper' tea (with hot water) that caused me to transition to coffee!

So ... what's your take on our friend here who sprayed gorilla glue on her hair thinking it was hairspray ...? Should there be a warning label 'not for hair'? Am I wrong (in the spirit of this particular thread) to laugh at her predicament ...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.