WTF in America

Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Shard
Cancel culture is pure power grab within identity politics; itself a power phenomena rooted in modern complexity. Symbiosis.
Not sure its the best place to discuss cancel culture either but as it gets a mention here.....

"Cancel culture" and "identity politics" are being presented to us as if they are new phenomena, when they have been with us us for decades, centuries, millennia. What we have, is similar to the way the privileged are seeing moves towards equality as being oppression. We are seeing a slight tilt of the cancel fulcrum from one form to another from. It is the conservative sphere that has taken up the use of both phrases, even if not the coinage. It is them that are singing this song, that they have never sung before, when it was happening before their eyes, their entire lives, their parents lives and their grandparents and on and on.
Women being fired for getting pregnant is/was cancel culture
Gay people having beards for fear of their livelihood and/or safety is/was cancel culture
Transgender individuals only going to certain specific places is/was cancel culture
Jeremy Thorpe was cancel culture
Everything before Margaret Thatcher being PM was cancel culture
Alan Turing was cancel culture
George Eliot was cancel culture
Sally Hemings was cancel culture
Galileo was cancel culture
But we can pretend this tiny shift is a completely new phenomena, and blame those not like us for it.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Indeed!

And of course, this isn't just "WTF in America" ... it's WTF in the World

But still ... can anyone explain why the media is supposed to be complicit in these various conspiracies? Whether it's 5G or C-19, what is the reasoning for assuming the news media would 'play along'? They have such a rich and recent history of being at odds with 'authority', as evidenced by (eg) Watergate. I just wish there was a way to engage someone in such a debate, but I can't find a meaningful venue.
I assume it's becuase the media has, quite rightly, debunked almost all of the coronavirus conspiracy nonsense, and the sort of idiots who believe all the coronavirus conspiracy nonsense are exactly the same idiots that can't distinguish between "debunking nonsense" and "defending, because they are part of the conspiracy".

I saw this meme recently, it may even have been here on BE. Being an internet meme I have no idea if it is correctly attributed to Bill Murray, but it is scarily true no matter who said it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2020 at 9:56 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I assume it's becuase the media has, quite rightly, debunked almost all of the coronavirus conspiracy nonsense, and the sort of idiots who believe all the coronavirus conspiracy nonsense are exactly the same idiots that can't distinguish between "debunking nonsense" and "defending, because they are part of the conspiracy".

I saw this meme recently, it may even have been here on BE. Being an internet meme I have no idea if it is correctly attributed to Bill Murray, but it is scarily true no matter who said it.

OK, so because the media debunk the conspiracies, they must by definition be 'part of' the conspiracy. I guess that makes some sense. I really wish GenieB would chime in and educate us as to what her thinking is
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so because the media debunk the conspiracies, they must by definition be 'part of' the conspiracy. I guess that makes some sense. I really wish GenieB would chime in and educate us as to what her thinking is
If the conspiracy people I know are anything alike then she's probably thinking 'time for a nice cup of tea and biscuits'...
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If the conspiracy people I know are anything alike then she's probably thinking 'time for a nice cup of tea and biscuits'...
A lot of them seem to me to be more of the "iced tea and chicken 'n' biscuits" crowd.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of them seem to me to be more of the "iced tea and chicken 'n' biscuits" crowd.
Yup, that'll do as well. The point I was trying to make was portraying the thinking equivalent along the same lines as sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting la, la, la, la when you hear some truth you don't like. (Does that make sense?)
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup, that'll do as well. The point I was trying to make was portraying the thinking equivalent along the same lines as sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting la, la, la, la when you hear some truth you don't like. (Does that make sense?)
In retrospect, I should have just gone full-on rude and said 'the thumb up bum and mind in neutral type'. Subtlety zero, comprehension total.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 12:35 am

Yeah, I think so - they are carrying on "as normal" oblivious to anyone trying to talk any sense into them. ..... There are none so deaf as those who refuse to hear.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Not sure its the best place to discuss cancel culture either but as it gets a mention here.....

"Cancel culture" and "identity politics" are being presented to us as if they are new phenomena, when they have been with us us for decades, centuries, millennia. What we have, is similar to the way the privileged are seeing moves towards equality as being oppression. We are seeing a slight tilt of the cancel fulcrum from one form to another from. It is the conservative sphere that has taken up the use of both phrases, even if not the coinage. It is them that are singing this song, that they have never sung before, when it was happening before their eyes, their entire lives, their parents lives and their grandparents and on and on.
Women being fired for getting pregnant is/was cancel culture
Gay people having beards for fear of their livelihood and/or safety is/was cancel culture
Transgender individuals only going to certain specific places is/was cancel culture
Jeremy Thorpe was cancel culture
Everything before Margaret Thatcher being PM was cancel culture
Alan Turing was cancel culture
George Eliot was cancel culture
Sally Hemings was cancel culture
Galileo was cancel culture
But we can pretend this tiny shift is a completely new phenomena, and blame those not like us for it.
OK, so cancel culture has been going on for a long while; you make a compelling argument. And, cancel culture has always been bad - another compelling argument made. The inescapable conclusion to that is, the current cancel culture is equally bad. So - Cancel Culture is a bad thing; good to hear.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 2:50 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so cancel culture has been going on for a long while; you make a compelling argument. And, cancel culture has always been bad - another compelling argument made. The inescapable conclusion to that is, the current cancel culture is equally bad. So - Cancel Culture is a bad thing; good to hear.
Absolute, anyone being victimized for who they are, for their very humanity, whether that masquerade as cancel culture or not, should be roundly condemned. I am glad we can agree on that.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Absolute, anyone being victimized for who they are, for their very humanity, whether that masquerade as cancel culture or not, should be roundly condemned. I am glad we can agree on that.
The problem is people self-identifying as a victims. There are a lot of self-identified "victims" out there at the moment that society does not broadly agree are victims.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 3:15 am
He/him

The problem is people self-identifying as a victims. There are a lot of self-identified "victims" out there at the moment that society does not broadly agree are victims.
Absolutely yet again. We have actual Nazis being fired, complaining about cancel culture, when few businesses can afford to be associate with such people. Then there are the showbiz entertainers who cant pull enough viewers blaming their demise on cancel culture. You can sense Bill Maher has been planing this excuse for years, ever since Politically Incorrect.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 6:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter works with an Australian (weird that) woman whose parents are German/Australian. She's never lived outside Australia. She is adamant that:
1. Trump is the best President ever.
2. He is the one telling the truth.
3. COVID isn't real.
4. Created so people can be controlled by governments.
5. The poisons are in the masks
6. Vaccines are dangerous.
7. Bill Gates is planning world domination by way of COVID vaccine.
My daughter doesn't speak to her so we don't know about her views on Chemtrails but we can take a guess.
The woman wore a mask the first day they were suggested. She had to take it off as she was getting a migraine from lack of oxygen and poisons in the mask.

She talks about this stuff daily to anyone who can't get away or who fancies a laugh. This shit is not funny.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 11:27 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

1. Trump is the best President ever.
2. He is the one telling the truth.
3. COVID isn't real.
4. Created so people can be controlled by governments.
5. The poisons are in the masks
6. Vaccines are dangerous.
I assume that several of these are because of this:

She's never lived outside Australia
My sister also lives in Australia having moved from the UK a couple of years back. I'll send her to this women, she'll set her straight

(Oh and this isn't just Australia, I was complaining about Trumps 'it is what it is' comment yesterday and one of my colleague agreed that there was nothing else to be done, so he was right, we just have to live with it)
Old Aug 6th 2020, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
I assume that several of these are because of this:

My sister also lives in Australia having moved from the UK a couple of years back. I'll send her to this women, she'll set her straight

(Oh and this isn't just Australia, I was complaining about Trumps 'it is what it is' comment yesterday and one of my colleague agreed that there was nothing else to be done, so he was right, we just have to live with it)
Is there a reason you cut out the 'Bill Gates' line item (#7) ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.