WTF in America

Old Jul 6th 2020, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It makes as much sense to use portrait for some video as any other media-subject combination. The video we are talking about is not unreasonable to use portrait as it is mostly of a standing figure. If its planned to be displayed on a phone (Although, I am guessing this isnt a question most people ask themselves when they film with a camera), again portrait makes sense. What doesnt make sense is for delivery systems such as the mobile version of Youtube, to switch to landscape for portrait videos, when the video is maximized. There may be settings to fix this, I dont watch video on my phone enough to find out. But I think the technology of the delivery system is the problem not the choice of mode for shooting. A standing figure planed to be viewed on a phone, portrait is the right mode. This is probably a hill that i am prepared to die on!
You raise a great point - there are definitely some video 'subjects' or 'scenes' that lend themselves to portrait mode, but the problem is, the delivery mechanism is well beyond the control of the recorder. Virtually every delivery mechanism is landscape; laptop, desktop, TV. BUT - with more and more people using phones for 'everything', this does complicate the discussion. I personally absolutely hate using the phone to read or view anything, so I'm totally biased against the idea, but if the majority of people are viewing videos on their phone, then portrait mode is unfortunately a viable choice.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:01 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You are all wrong.

All you Portrait people. Enablers are what you are and there is no excuse.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
You are all wrong.

You just try and get up this hill - go on I dare you!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You just try and get up this hill - go on I dare you!
Black bars matter!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You raise a great point - there are definitely some video 'subjects' or 'scenes' that lend themselves to portrait mode, but the problem is, the delivery mechanism is well beyond the control of the recorder. Virtually every delivery mechanism is landscape; laptop, desktop, TV. BUT - with more and more people using phones for 'everything', this does complicate the discussion. .....
Except that every smart phone I know of shows landscape video and images if you turn it sidways. So even if you want to watch a video on your phone (I also prefer not to) that was shot landscape-way, the solution to this "complication" is in your own hands!
You are all wrong.

Nutek for President!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2020 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Except that every smart phone I know of shows landscape video and images if you turn it sidways. So even if you want to watch a video on your phone (I also prefer not to) that was shot landscape-way, the soluton to this "complication" is in your hands!

Nutek for President!
We Landscapers need offer no excuses to these people. Stand firm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Except that every smart phone I know of shows landscape video and images if you turn it sidways. So even if you want to watch a video on your phone (I also prefer not to) that was shot landscape-way, the soluton to this "complication" is in your hands!

This is very true; but it's a truth that seems not well known! I've seen my niece do endless videos of her kids, and they'd mostly benefit from landscape but they are exclusively portrait. It MIGHT just be the fact that it's easier to 'one-hand' a portrait video; at least for me, I find myself needing two hands to take a 'stable' landscape video, but I guess you can do a reasonable one-hand video when in portrait mode.

I've talked to both my nieces (as representatives of the 'younger generation') and they almost never use their laptops any longer. They sit at home with their phones by their side, and use it for virtually everything. I sometimes send links to complex pages and they can't figure out what I'm referring to because the pages don't render well at all on phone screens, but there's little I can do to change this.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

We Landscapers need offer no excuses to these people. Stand firm.
I support your proposal for President as I know cake will be involved, and I shall film your investiture for life, on my phone, portrait of course, posting it to Tik-Tok.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:14 pm

I support your proposal for President as I know cake will be involved, and I shall film your investiture for life, on my phone, portrait of course, posting it to Tik-Tok.

Thanks to my love of cake, Landscape is the best way to fit me on the camera.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Thanks to my love of cake, Landscape is the best way to fit me on the camera.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:28 pm
He/him

Thanks to my love of cake, Landscape is the best way to fit me on the camera.
I can see that argument.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Portrait is for those who have a 50" plus TV and haven't figured out how make the picture fit the whole screen. They probably watch it in 4.3 SD format rather than 16.9 HD when available. Yes mum I am looking at you.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I only use portrait when texting pictures because otherwise they come out sideways (the last several have been of the insides of an ice machine). Wide screen is what you would see in the viewfinder of a camera, so it's a natural.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:41 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Wide screen is what you would see in the viewfinder of a camera, so it's a natural.
Only if you are lazy, I rotate my 35mm camera to suit the shot as necessary.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Only if you are lazy, I rotate my 35mm camera to suit the shot as necessary.
An actual 35mm film carmera? Or an SLR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.